RIP John Savident

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP John Savident

John Savident, the Greater Manchester Police Officer, turned actor, has died at the age of 86; he was famous for playing the no-nonsense butcher Fred Elliott (and love interest for Audrey Roberts) in Coronation Street.

Savident worked for the GMP in his younger days, even treading the beat with future Deputy Chief Constable and broadcaster John Stalker, (who also found a niche as Shaw Taylor's successor presenting sub-Crimewatch programmes on regional ITV). Even as an actor he still used to be stereotyped as a Police Officer, appearing in an episode of Casualty as such a character. But it was his role in Coronation Street which really made him a household name; giving Foghorn Leghorn a run for his money (I say, giving Foghorn Leghorn a run for his money) with his unique way of speaking, almost making it a catchphrase into the bargain. His lines were delivered in timely fashion, and ironically for a former Police Officer, his performance was almost in sub-comedy fashion, fitting in with the rest of the Coronation Street cast.

In December 2000, Savident was due to appear in the 40th anniversary of the soap opera when he was a victim of a knife attack; as he dialed 999, he admitted to the operator that he was the John Savident and pleaded not to tell the red-top tabloids about this escapade, a la Max Cliifford. Savident was rewritten out of the live episode at the last moment. Fred Elliott meanwhile, appeared in the Street for many years, while dying on screen, marking the end of his appearance. He appeared in other programmes, and he might have appeared in adverts as well - did he do one for mints or something? I might be confusing him with someone else, I assume.

The end of an era. (I say) the end of an era.
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

John as Fred was a sensationaly great character who belonged to the last great golden period of Corrie - playing the role of Fred to perfection with total genius, especially with his catch-phrase of repeating himself with near on everything he said. Some found Fred beyond irritating I know , but he was really up there with the very best of Mike and Ken (even if he was very loud) he helped made Corrie of that era like all the other interesting and different characters like Emley, Norris, Mavis, Derek, Mike (characters Corrie seem to be not wanting to establish these days) or are just simply not keen on bringing in cos they want sensational-ism like Sean Willson as has much as said and so as Charles Lawson too

I recall very discovering "Classic Corrie) in the Spring of the Pandemic - what prob April to June and it was 1994 with Fred begining his stint and even then harbouring thoughts for Audrey (though she was still married to Alf) in those days and then of course he became even more and more obsessed with finding a wife until Maureen Holdsworth agreed to trade the equaly as funny but probably equaly as annoying Reg Holdsworth for him in a marrage that in Soapland terms was more than likely the shortest ever at a week (at least until Ian beale married Mel on 2000 eve and she promptly dumped him just as the Clock struck 12am

Then of course Fred went on to marry the bigamist Eve as well as o mu propsals to other women including a fake Thai Bride until the writers decided in 2006 to write him out in another failed wedding to local tart Bev Unwin before the poor geezer died of a Heart Atack and before Audrey was about to declare her love for him and hopefully wed him herself one day! Oh the joys of TV before ntflix and multiple choices of channels

RIP John Savident

Comment

I thought he was great in Coronation Street, was sorry to see him gone from it as well as to hear about his being attacked. The story where Ashley found out he was his father and not his uncle was very well played, also the relationship with Audrey. Honestly, I wasn't even sure he was still alive in 'real life' but glad to know he was even though via learning of his death.
      My virtual jigsaws: https://www.jigsawplanet.com/beccabear67/Original-photo-puzzles

Comment

must say this is very sad news to hear.
        R i p john.
        FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
          must say this is very sad news to hear.
          R i p john.
          Indeed, indeed Daren my Mucker

Sadly though like with Steve Harley and Stuart Organ Aka Mr Robson and even Mrs McClusky (though it is 2 years since her passing in Sept) from Grange Hill it just seems now certain people from certain generations in the "Entertainment Busness/Industry" re now passing away. I suppose it is like if you knew 20/30/40 Neighbours - not as i knew so many but 2hand on heart I can say on my road" I know a lot who have passed away over so many years sadly

Comment

Working...
          X