Ad_Forums-Top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The pupils were not called Mr, Sir, or Miss, so why should teachers be called that?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The pupils were not called Mr, Sir, or Miss, so why should teachers be called that?

Double standards between staff and pupils: they were always on the opposite side of the fence, and yet their workplace was the same on both sides; the philosophy of how most schools work in this respect is so fascinating to say the least. American High School dramas always seem to have it - the pupils (or students as they would be) might not have had to wear any school uniform, but they were forced to obey the oldest member of the classroom. A man, (we will call him, Mr Harrison), comes in late compared to the rest of class who seem to be already in the classroom a good couple of minutes before he was; the classroom door was never locked from the previous lesson and so the 30 or so members walked (or just pushed themselves in, ignoring Human Rights) in order to get to their seat. A good throwing of paper planes, loud noise, and litter pass the time before our educational reprensitive arrived. He writes "MR HARRISON" on the blackboard, for either this was the first lesson of the school term; he is a supply teacher; he is a student teacher; or a teacher unacquainted with this class who is just as new to him and he is to them. "Mr name is Mr Harrison", this teacher says, providing a verbal version of what he has just written on the board, and also, just in case most of them are not unable to read or see the blackboard some five feet away from them properly; in which case, most them should almost be in the correct place to adjust that fact. "Yes Sir, we can read", one cheeky so-and-so at the back would expect to answer back, testing the water in case Sir (as an alternative name in case one cannot be bothered to learn his surname) is strict enough to give him detention or just ignore the boisterous remark. (No one of that name exists as far as I know, and as they say at the end credits, any similarity to anyone, living or dead is purely coincidental).

I think that it is traditional, polite and courteous, not to mention respectful to call one's "boss" Mr, Sir, Mrs, or Miss, and it is a shame if this, but sometimes, it does feel as these people have no surname, a la Mr Blobby or Mr Bean, all of the Mr Men, and have to refer to them like that anyway. What if there are a dozen Mr Smiths who teach there? We refer to them as Mr Smith the Geography teacher; Mr Smith the Music teacher; Mr Smith the teacher who everyone feared when Wednesday afternoons came around, and so on, as if they were called Mr Bun the Baker from the Happy Families card game, or most importantly, Mr Tick the Teacher from Allan Ahlberg's namesake series of children's books. First names are hidden behind Staff Room territory just like the sound of strict teachers temporally coming out of their stereotypical character and can be heard laughing which was something they would never do in the presence of their pupils; the smell of Maxwell House coming from making coffee from a camping-sized tin; and the stench of Park Drives seem to rift from that room when the door was almost ajar. "Get out, knock if you want something", if you were a "Peter Latimer" pupil (cf the Granada school drama Roll On Four O'clock from 1970); no one bats an eyelid if you were a member of staff. Mind you, one member of teaching staff let slip by referring to a teacher by the first name; I was a bit worried as he had the same first name as myself, and of course, I obviously thought that I was the only person with that name in that room, and I obviously thought that he was ordering me to do what was asked. We both had different surnames, thankfully, but this was a time when "Mr" should have been used, at least to avoid confusion with anyone else.

Yes, Mr Jones, no Mr Jones, three bags full, Mr Jones: it almost sounds Dickensian in hindsight, and sounds like the address like older Coronation Street characters would use from the 1960s to the 1980s; it was always Mr Tatlock and hardly ever Albert. On the other hand, when pupils were indeed called Mr something; it sounded ironic, patronising or even sarcastic, probably because it was used in respect of some misdemeanour which they have done, and so the teacher is "showing them up" in the classroom and shaming them after something that they have done. Perhaps in that respect, first names are better to pupils, at least? A couple of years ago, I started a thread about teachers calling pupils by their surname in class, which as far as programmes like Grange Hill is concerned, were usually either when calling out names on the register, or otherwise limiting the use to male pupils (or both if Maurice Bronson was concerned as female pupils had received the same treatment). Sometimes this "Call Me Mister" aspect towards is sometimes used towards criminals and it does sound slightly patronising, usually because we are used to using surnames being used there only. Speaking of Grange Hill, Bridget McClusky was often referred to in the same way as that by her first name, hence the Midget. A 1989 episode explored a previous unseen former pupil from the Samuel Maguire (1982-1987) era of the series and had been revisiting his old stomping ground and sleeping rough in the school; it had been two years since he had officially left, but still referred to Bronson as Sir when invited to McClusky's office. "You are not at school now - you do not have to call me Sir" the bow-tied Deputy Head said in response to our homeless ex-pupil. Had this had happened in Bronson's first year of 1985 and not in 1989 when he was to retire and make way for the sub-Blairite Max Hargreaves, would he had been like that? If it had been a Tucker Jenkins year former pupil, for example. As for other TV programmes, Please Sir! would not have sounded the same without the Sir! bit in its title.

I have to admit that I did eventually get to know the first names of the teachers; quite often, their first initial gave a clue as to what it could be, and also, (shock horror mode, I know), when I was at the Madhouse (aka school), I did manage to find a staff handbook once upon a time, where first names were mentioned, and as I memorised them for quite a long time afterwards, but obviously, I wasn't brave enough to use them officially. It has been over 29 years since I hung up my uniform; I no longer refer to former teaching staff as Mr or Sir, and I do refer to them in context by first name and surname, for I am just a civilian now as they have been then. I have moved on; I am in my 40s and I no longer go to school (mostly because I wouldn't be able to teach those youngsters anyway - no PGCE for a start). I am still a Times-reading traditionalist to a degree: I would still refer to a doctor as Dr X; a police officer as PC X; a judge as Mr Justice X and so on because they deserve authority and should still show respect, and they would remain like that until a charge of occupation or retirement. On the other hand, shop assistants proudly have their first name on display on an ID badge (presumably in case we need to refer to them in case we have a comment, compliment or complaint about them), and have to wear uniform, and of course, their would more likely to refer to customers as Mr or Sir - an interesting role reversal, where staff (the equivalent to a teacher in a school) are comparative to pupils, and customers (who are the visitors) are called Mr and Sir, and as the shop assistants chose to do that job, and as the customers chose to shop in that store, everyone should be happy. Ironically, they have no problem displaying a first name (if she wants to show people that she is called Laura, then so be it - because is a nice name), but safety reasons, not a surname, which is fair enough. If Are You Being Served? has anything to go by, the shop floor did use to do "old school" references to colleagues, or was this just parody as it was a sitcom?

School environments are of more conservative ground and tradition; respect is needed but could the name side of things be optional? I believe that colleges are more liberal when it comes to tutors (as I believe that "teacher" is left behind at school) using first names, and certainly lecturers when it comes to university; by which time, both student and lecturer are both even and are not on opposite sides. Respect is deserved and awarded and life should be like that. Personally, I would like to think of people as being on the same level as myself, and if they are so different to myself, then all the more reason to treat them as equally as I can. First names should not be regarded as too personal if used, but it should illustrate the fact that one's opponent is not necessarily a step above you but is almost certainly on equal grounds with you. If I met someone called Jim Adams for example, the situation would be "call me Jim", rather than "it's Mr Adams to you" - Jim sounds more like a friend more than Mr Adams does, even if Jim Adams is one and the same. But then again, I still don't mind being called Mr or Sir by any powers that be, and I don't think that there will ever be a time in the future that I would mind it. That tradition will still be with us for a long time into the future.

I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Its called respect isn't it?
    Heather

Comment

Originally posted by Heather74 View Post
      Yep
      The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

I cant think of anything else u could use to addrees teachers.

U cant use there real names altho teachers use pupils names.
        FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
          I cant think of anything else u could use to addrees teachers.

U cant use there real names altho teachers use pupils names.
          I hated it when they used our Surnames (or so we was lead to believe) for High School

Thankfully it was'nt as traumatic a thought - as it very nearly never happened (unless you behaved badly)

Comment

Originally posted by Heather74 View Post
            And so was George Galloway's left-wing party.

It is good that we still have that sort of respect and it has not gone away, don't get me wrong, but I always like to challenge things that have always been apparent in our lives as it sometimes as it makes things interesting. I like to be quite philosophical when it comes to how school was like and how we saw it - age and ability meant that teachers and pupils were obviously not equal, but when it comes to university lecturers and students, the boundaries are more transparent and are seen as more equal.

The fact that teachers were our "boss" meant that it is correct to call them Mr, Mrs or Sir, but in other places, this is not the case. It would probably be a sad day if we did lose that respect. I am not complaining about the fact that we had to call them Sir or Miss, but I am just making observations about that.
            I'm having so much fun
            My lucky number's one
            Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by 80sChav View Post

I hated it when they used our Surnames (or so we was lead to believe) for High School

Thankfully it was'nt as traumatic a thought - as it very nearly never happened (unless you behaved badly)
              You could have changed it by deed poll!

Seriously, I do sympathise, and thankfully, it didn't happen to me, but even if it did, no skin off my nose, school wasn't going to last forever and one was to leave one day. What is in a name? Sticks and stones, etc.
              I'm having so much fun
              My lucky number's one
              Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post

You could have changed it by deed poll!

Seriously, I do sympathise, and thankfully, it didn't happen to me, but even if it did, no skin off my nose, school wasn't going to last forever and one was to leave one day. What is in a name? Sticks and stones, etc.
                It was'nt too bad but bad enough tbh George - more-ever it was worse when when years later I was on this Campaign group type thing and this Guy who had been there years and had an attiude offered "to take me outside" by way of addressing my surname (and he was in a Wheelchair I hasten to add too). Not as I approve of fights anyway and defenitely I'd not fight anyone in such a dis-position

Comment

I know people who are friends with old teachers on Facebook... They STILL call them Sir & Miss

Comment

Originally posted by sixtyten View Post
                    They STILL call them Sir & Miss
                    And it's a good thing. Mind you, I watched that 1989 episode of Grange Hill towards the end of that series where that former pupil who was in Samuel McGuire's year (although we never saw him originally) was sleeping rough in school. Bronson and McClusky found him there, and the former pupil called Bronson "Sir", probably for old times' sake. "You are not at school now - you do not have to call me Sir", Bronson replied - the 1985 version of Bronson probably wouldn't have said that.

I have to admit this: I had a former Mathematics teacher (the young, jolly, idealistic "straight out of teacher training school" sort - my oldest sister was older than her!), and I have called her by her first name (shock horror!) To be fair, so much water has passed under the bridge since my school days, and at the end of the day, I am just as much a civilian as she is. And another confession: I used Ed Stewart's Where Are They Now? feature on Radio 2 when he was on Sunday teatimes in the "Charlie Chester" slot, to search for her, and she eventually responded - she was so good about it, and we have exchanged Christmas cards most years. When Radio 2 asked me what sort of song they could play in response to this appeal, I decided to choose: "Remember the Days of the Old School Yard" by Cat Stevens (many years before he was known as Yusuf Islam). I didn't really like school very much, but still...

I'm having so much fun
                    My lucky number's one
                    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
                    X