school uniforms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: school uniforms

ne good if u could find a teacher who worked there and ask them why they had no uniform.

i think the uniform is like an identity for the school.[
    no uniform thats very american.

Originally posted by 80sChav View Post
    I am starting to wonder if that my Primary was one of of not many ever to of had a Primary School Uniform, I am really suprised at this on reflection. Though I do think that the School tried to push for a Uniform or " a Uniform of sorts" but it never happened. It is odd why there was no Uniform at my Primary I think.
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Brings back bad memories. Only had to wear a uniform in comprehensive school.

1st year:
      Boys: Grey Pullover
      White or Grey Shirt
      Grey or Charcoal Grey Trousers
      Grey Socks*
      Black Shoes**
      Girls: Grey Pullover
      White Blouse
      Grey or Charcoal Grey Skirt
      White Socks*
      Black Shoes**
      2nd Year:
      Boys: Grey or Black Pullover
      White or Grey Shirt
      Grey or Charcoal Grey or Black Trousers
      Grey or Black Socks*
      Black Shoes**
      Girls: Grey or Black Pullover
      Grey or Black Skirt
      White Blouse
      White Socks*
      Black Shoes* *
      3rd Year:
      Boys: Grey, Black or Dark Blue Pullover
      Grey, White or Light Blue Shirt
      Grey, Charcoal grey, Black or Dark Blue Trousers
      Grey, Dark Blue or Black Socks*
      Black Shoes**
      Girls: Grey, Black or Dark Blue Pullover
      White or Light Blue Blouse
      Grey, Black or Dark Blue Skirt
      White Socks*
      Black Shoes**
      4&5 years:
      No Change to the Above ***

Noose (sorry tie) compulsory for all years. Blazer not compulsory.

* Compulsory (or so they said). Many would turn up with different colour. Told off but no further action taken.
      ** Compulsory (or so they said). Parents often enforced "You supply, they wear."
      *** The only uniformity amongst the boys in the fifth year was the pair of "Docs".
      Who cared about rules when you were young?

Comment

My primary school did have a uniform but it wasn't compulsory.
        Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Thats very unusual for a school here in the uk.

Never heard of such a rule before.

Originally posted by zabadak View Post
          my primary school did have a uniform but it wasn't compulsory.

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
            Thats very unusual for a school here in the uk.

Never heard of such a rule before.
            The ones I went to were like that in the 1980s, especially in the summer.
            The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Here's a ridiculous one. A primary school in the 1980s did not have a uniform but boys had to wear short trousers even on freezing cold winter days. This bizarre rule allegedly had its origins as an equality measure after WW2 because many parents were unable to afford to buy long trousers. It was abolished in 1987 or 1988. Some time in the 1990s the school adopted a uniform.

Comment

Originally posted by zabadak View Post
                My primary school did have a uniform but it wasn't compulsory.

I gues this (in a round-about way) was similar at my Primary School. As I have said in another thread somewhere my7 old headmaster at Primary School had esigns on bringing in Jum,pers with the School's Logo emblazend even bigger in height etc than a brand name. His antics as so caused him to go out of his way to make you feel "the poor lad/girl out" too if you did'nt buy one - though of course it amounted in reality to nothing more than like a Jumper people may wear to Cheerleading!

80sChav

Comment

It does seem a bit strange how some primary schools had uniforms in the early 1980s whereas others didn't have them until after the Millennium.

I'm under the impression that uniforms for primary schools are quite a recent development because from the photos I have seen from the 1960s and 70s they are uncommon although Catholic schools could be an exception.

Comment

My primary school always had a uniform from when it opened in 1970 i think it opened.

I always liked the idea of a uniform ur sort of representing that school..

Originally posted by arran View Post
                    it does seem a bit strange how some primary schools had uniforms in the early 1980s whereas others didn't have them until after the millennium.

I'm under the impression that uniforms for primary schools are quite a recent development because from the photos i have seen from the 1960s and 70s they are uncommon although catholic schools could be an exception.

Comment

Were school uniforms more or less common in Northern Ireland during the 1970s than they were in mainland Britain? I have suspected that school uniforms could exacerbate sectarianism and make children targets for attack because they easily identify whether children go to a Protestant or a Catholic school.

Comment

A Paperback book was released and looking back over the decades kids wore uniforms AT THE PRIMARY SCHOOL I WENT TO I STARTED IN 1979.

And another school an all girls school as far as i remember they wore uniforms as well going back to the eighties I CAN REMEMBER THEM WEARING UNIFORMS TOO.

SO IT DOES SEEM ITS MORE COMMON HERE TO WEAR UNIFORMS THAN THE REST OF THE UK MATE.

Well recently my primnary school had a reunio 40th anniversary and a
                        Originally posted by arran View Post
                        were school uniforms more or less common in northern ireland during the 1970s than they were in mainland britain? I have suspected that school uniforms could exacerbate sectarianism and make children targets for attack because they easily identify whether children go to a protestant or a catholic school.
                        Last edited by darren; 25-12-2015, 23:02.

Comment

No uniform for infant and primary school but at secondary school we had to wear a uniform.

Boys: black trousers, white or grey shirt, black and gold striped tie, black blazer plus black or gold jumper in winter.

Girls: black skirt, candy stripe blouse, black and gold striped tie, black blazer plus black or gold jumper in winter. I am not sure if girls could wear trousers. I don't remember seeing any, so probably they weren't allowed.

On the blazer pocket a patch showing the school crest had to be sewn.

Comment

Hasn't changed since my day...

Comment

My son attended the same secondary school 27 years after I left and by then the uniform had changed to mainly blue, with girls being allowed to wear trousers if they wanted. The Latin school motto had also been dropped in favour of some bland meaningless statement.

Comment

Our school badge had a motto - "An Highway Shall Be There" - printed under it (a quote from the bible somewhere...)

Comment

Working...
                                X