X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Richard1978
    replied
    Originally posted by George 1978 View Post

I think that their uniform code sexist - even in my comprehensive school, girls were not allowed to wear trousers until around 1988.
    According to one of my old old school friends trousers were banned for girls when we were at secondary school, but I don't remember it. Apparently enough parents complained & the rule was quickly dropped.

Leave a comment:

• George 1978
    replied
    Originally posted by Victoria O'Keefe View Post
    It was dresses for girls in schools until the 1990s.
    I think that their uniform code sexist - even in my comprehensive school, girls were not allowed to wear trousers until around 1988.

Leave a comment:

• George 1978
    replied
    I do sympathise.

Leave a comment:

• Victoria O'Keefe
    replied
    It wasn't just the male staff that decided my boobies were too much for school.

Leave a comment:

• George 1978
    replied
    Originally posted by Victoria O'Keefe View Post
    Oh and you wouldn't have gotten away with no bra, albeit that would depend on what the staff at your individual school thought of your fun bags.
    I wouldn't have got away with no stab-proof vest, considering the inner-city roughness that my school was situated in.

My bag was not too much fun; just homework, PE kits and Home Economic ingredients. One can imagine.

Leave a comment:

• Victoria O'Keefe
    replied
    Oh and you wouldn't have gotten away with no bra, albeit that would depend on what the staff at your individual school thought of your fun bags.

Leave a comment:

• Victoria O'Keefe
    replied
    It was dresses for girls in schools until the 1990s.

Leave a comment:

• George 1978
    replied
    I have always thought to myself, from a school uniform perspective, "how would I have dressed had I been born female?" Would I have worn trousers or a skirt? (if such options for girls were available - they didn't seem to be at comprehensive school level in the 1980s) Socks or tights? Knee-length or ankle-length socks? Etc. It made me wonder that despite having to wear a uniform, that girls decided how to dress when it came to uniform.

I suppose it boils down to whether in later life, they would be a Miss or a Ms - feminine or feminist?

Males usually stick with the tie/trousers/jacket connection many decades after they have left school, although in recent times, the last time I wore a tie in public was to vote at my Polling Station on a local election day as soon as the station opened at 7.00 am, and one polling clerk asked meL "are you doing this on your way to work?" No doubt that had I worn t-shirt and jeans, I wouldn't have been asked that.

Leave a comment:

• W1 Rover
    replied
    Originally posted by 80sChav
    On a sub-not here ... who would not want to be a bad lad/gurl again and flaunt every item of uniform ruling going - and with no repercussions too!!??

80sChav
    No thanks... it's called growing up!

Leave a comment:

• Victoria O'Keefe
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	146863_71432_PMthen.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	288767

Leave a comment:

• Victoria O'Keefe
    replied
    This is what you are happy to do once you leave year 12 and you no longer have to be “miss” or “sir”’s little toy…

Click image for larger version

Name:	49B659DD-974F-4C93-A44C-810DBCB66644.jpeg
Views:	211
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	288686

Leave a comment:

• manofkent59
    replied

Very true indeed ..... yeah

I bet did you wear your Tie thin side out mate??
    Don't think so. I hope you didn't wear trainers instead of proper black shoes?! You'd have been in trouble.......

Leave a comment:

• manofkent59
    replied

Sounds like my old School's .... if you was a Good Sportsman, they ignored the ones that bent the rules!!
    Yeah they were both lads who played on the school teams so that was probably why they were let off a slippering!

Leave a comment:

• manofkent59
    replied

True but I always tried to pick the battles I could win (or say things like I picked up my Football Team Shorts by mistake that morning) or others are doing Football Teams one or my PE 1s was not clean/been washed in time!

80sChav
    The PE teachers at my schools had heard all the excuses!

Leave a comment:

• manofkent59
    replied

What Team - can I ask???

80sChav
    None specifically. Not sure why I wore light blue football shorts to be honest. I don't support Chelsea.

Even in the 6th form a couple of lads were in trouble for wearing coloured football socks to PE. They were lucky to get let off with a warning not to wear them again instead of getting the slipper which they would have got in earlier years.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X