Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: School Punishment

Originally posted by kazboot View Post
    I think I would have to agree with you on all points, Mike. I'm not sure what age it would be acceptable to start it though.

When you see the lack of discipline and respect in schools at present it does make you wonder what the answer is.

It couldn't be done nowadays as the administering teacher would find his car and/or home vandalised ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by stuckinthe80's View Post
      The slipper was used quite a lot in my infant school. Always in assembly too for maximum effect! The headmistress would hand out a shiny penny if it was your birthday then the whack with the gym slipper if you had been naughty! What fun the 70's were!! LOL
      How odd .

We were caned on our non-writing hand in primary and slippered on backside at secondary .

Just presumed that was standard across the country for some reason

Comment

Originally posted by Zincubus View Post
        It couldn't be done nowadays as the administering teacher would find his car and/or home vandalised ..

Or sued the parents are more clued up for being a "little Hitler.

I'm sure the teachers unions would get their members to resign an-masse if any law was pass, & any party doing so would abandon any chance of getting any youth vote for a generation or so.
        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by marc View Post
          80sChav,

When I mention Primary school, I mean what was called junior school. This was for 7-10 year olds. The Infant school was for 3-6year olds. It is the Infant school I was referring to. The cane was used on 7 year olds and ages above. I never heard of the cane being used on younger children, at least not in the 1970s. This is not to say it wasn't, but it seems highly unlikely. Many of the older men that frequented pubs/clubs, and some women, could not remember the cane being used in the Infant school. Many of these attended Infant school in the 1920/30s.

Perhaps somebody can clarify if the cane was used on children younger than 7?
          I cannot remember it from primary in the 70's but I do remember it from secondary school. My primary school punishments were fairly lenient compared to secondary. Most of primary's punishments were standing in the corner either stood on a low chair or stool, or standing facing the wall outside of the class door was a classic one or being sent to wait outside of the heads office for a good telling off, being made to miss out on more enjoyable lessons seemed to be quite common. I can remember most of the kids playing with clay models whilst making a stop motion cartoon. Guess who had to sit at a table doing maths instead.
          Secondary punishments were much harsher with expulsion being the no1 punishment with the cane being a popular second down the list.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
            I managed to not get any major punishments at secondary school without even trying.

Some of my friends used to complain about one teacher being a "control freak" over uniforms being worn properly, but never got pulled up for anything like that.
            Same here for me Richard - par flirting with Derentions

For us it was Uniform but your tie in the main part of it!!

Comment

There was also the class detention - I remember in Year 8 having a student teacher for English during the spring term (meaning that our regular English teacher had a few more free periods on his timetable and could go to the staff room to read the Guardian for a bit longer). The kids in my class were not surprisingly, making it difficult for her to do her job properly. They were noisy when they should have been quiet, etc.

Reminds me of that Grange Hill episode from 1983 where Zammo Maguire's year had Mr Knowles, the student teacher teaching - it was a bit like that.

We were all "invited" to attend a class detention for half a hour after school in the same room. Most of us attended, but the irony was, only the ones that didn't cause any trouble and obeyed the teacher turned up - the ones that caused trouble earlier on didn't turn up. I didn't cause any trouble, so I thought that I had nothing too lose by turning up - I would just call my mother from the payphone that I would be late home afterwards, and that would be it.

I also remember from Junior school someone misbehaving so close to the Christmas holidays, and it might be a false memory, but I am certain that a teacher said to them that they had to come into school on Christmas Day to do the detention - it might be something that I have misinterpreted over the past 30 years, but it was something like that.
              I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
              There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
              I'm having so much fun
              My lucky number's one
              Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I recall that at school in the early 1980s (boys’ boarding school - very traditional) I was able to get away with a lot of ‘lip’ (cheek) to the masters because I played Rugger for the House and in my final year for the School. Many infractions that would have been punished were met with ‘bollockings’ that were pretty much a charade. Very unfair of course but I’m afraid I used it to my advantage.

Comment

Originally posted by Silver Bear View Post
                  I recall that at school in the early 1980s (boys’ boarding school - very traditional) I was able to get away with a lot of ‘lip’ (cheek) to the masters because I played Rugger for the House and in my final year for the School. Many infractions that would have been punished were met with ‘bollockings’ that were pretty much a charade. Very unfair of course but I’m afraid I used it to my advantage.
                  My Schools tried to pursue this idea on us - but it never worked totaly, just being kept late was the worst we got

Though I agree Silver Bear - many others and me (given the chance) would have used such trick to my advantage

80sChav

Comment

Originally posted by 80sChav View Post
                    My Schools tried to pursue this idea on us - but it never worked totaly, just being kept late was the worst we got

Though I agree Silver Bear - many others and me (given the chance) would have used such trick to my advantage

80sChav
                    The crucial point here is that prowess at games was regarded as more important than academic ability. I got much more kudos for Rugger (and other sports) than I did for winning an essay prize or editing the school magazine. Most of the masters were incredibly pro-sport and it was a huge part of the ethos of the school.

Comment

The crucial point here is that prowess at games was regarded as more important than academic ability. I got much more kudos for Rugger (and other sports) than I did for winning an essay prize or editing the school magazine. Most of the masters were incredibly pro-sport and it was a huge part of the ethos of the school.

Same .. I was rather good at all sports and our Metalwork and Woodwork teachers were involved with the sports dept ... this meant I was allowed to use the lathes and the furnace any dinner times ..

Comment

Same .. I was rather good at all sports and our Metalwork and Woodwork teachers were involved with the sports dept ... this meant I was allowed to use the lathes and the furnace any dinner times ..

Yes, being good at sport was a fluke and a blessing in many ways. Our woodwork instructor also took PE and drill practice in Corps. I enjoyed woodwork but it wasn’t on the curriculum as such, just an activity. I didn’t do as much as I wanted because I was playing so much sport, but I went to the workshop when I had sprained ankles or muscle injuries and greatly enjoyed it.

Comment

Yes, being good at sport was a fluke and a blessing in many ways. Our woodwork instructor also took PE and drill practice in Corps. I enjoyed woodwork but it wasn’t on the curriculum as such, just an activity. I didn’t do as much as I wanted because I was playing so much sport, but I went to the workshop when I had sprained ankles or muscle injuries and greatly enjoyed it.
                          I used to love using the furnace ( I'm still a fire lover lol ) and I used to make rod rests , disgorgers and copper ashtrays plus many other things to order ... all the materials were free of course..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I used to love using the furnace ( I'm still a fire lover lol ) and I used to make rod rests , disgorgers and copper ashtrays plus many other things to order ... all the materials were free of course..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
                            I did mainly woodwork and made tables of various sizes, trays, stools, etc. Great fun and I used to call the woodwork instructor by his first name (he was ‘Sir’ of course in PE and Corps). But I did do a bit of metalwork as well and remember making a candlestick of all things! The situation was similar to yours as the metalwork instructor took Rugger games occasionally (when he was tired of teaching metalwork I suppose) and like his woodwork colleague was involved in the Corps, organising activity weekends. I knew him well and shared a lot of jokes: in fact I got away with quite a lot of cheek. I wish these subjects had been on the curriculum rather than fringe afternoon activities. As I said I could only do them on the rare occasions when I wasn’t playing games.
                            Last edited by Silver Bear; 03-11-2017, 22:29.

Comment

I was never like that or I doubt we would even of had such luk etc - though I am sure it applied to the 5th years and lesser so 4th years where they got away with everything imaginable!

80sChav

Comment

Originally posted by 80sChav View Post
                                I was never like that or I doubt we would even of had such luk etc - though I am sure it applied to the 5th years and lesser so 4th years where they got away with everything imaginable!

80sChav
                                The way it worked was that you were given an easier time if you played a lot of sport and were in School and House teams because the masters were so keen on sport themselves.

Comment

Working...
                                X