Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Video recorder?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    Re: First Video recorder?

    I had a fairly good Grundig ghetto blaster style tape recorder in the 1980s, which was made in Korea.

    It's interesting that that didn't try to go upmarket like Bose & Roberts.

    My Dad used to have an Elite Boy multiband radio that was very good.
    The Trickster On The Roof

    Comment


    • #62
      Re: First Video recorder?

      Looking at Ebay, those older Grundig products still seem to command quite a price.

      My 1997 Grundig VCR was still working the last time I tried it but is now in storage as I have several other machines that get used whenever I play a video cassette. When they give up the ghost my trusty Grundig will become my main VCR

      Comment


      • #63
        Re: First Video recorder?

        I have quite a few Grundig items including an excellent Party Boy radio from the late 1970s, a professional quality stereo cassette recorder and Music Boy radio from the mid-1980s and a Beat Boy personal stereo from around 1990. All are good but the earlier stuff is better. Grundig made fine radios, better than Roberts in terms of sound quality and the standard of the electronics but the cases were not as solid. Hacker was always the best of the lot but I would put Grundig second, ahead of Roberts.

        Comment


        • #64
          Re: First Video recorder?

          I looking at the site of a collector the other day, who has some Hacker & Roberts radios.

          Hacker were bought out by Roberts in the 1970s.

          http://www.dustygizmos.com/
          The Trickster On The Roof

          Comment


          • #65
            Re: First Video recorder?

            They were, but Hacker production had already ended and no new Hacker radios were made under Roberts. All they effectively did was buy the defunct brand name to prevent it falling into a foreign competitor's hands as they wanted the posh radio market to themselves. Roberts is part of a larger group and all their radios are made by Sangean in China and have been for the last 10+ years, depending upon the model. Just like Hornby model railways, the UK arm of the company is basically just R&D, marketing and distribution.

            Comment


            • #66
              Re: First Video recorder?

              LOOK AT THE PRICE OF THESE.
              From the Brian Mills Spring/Summer 1983 mail order catalogue - a Sharp VC9700 format de-luxe video cassette player and a Toshiba V87008 Beta format de-luxe video cassette recorder - 699.99 and 535.00








              Originally posted by staffslad View Post
              There was a Granada and Radio Rentals in a town close to me, but to be honest it never occured to me to rent a VCR as my parents never rented anything like that. Consequently, we were always a few years behind when it came to technology . I have been trying to recall how much the VHS machines cost at the time and I keep getting a figure of 549 for a Ferguson, but can't be sure how accurate that is. The VHS machines were, however, a fair bit more than that Sanyo VTC9300P.
              FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

              Comment


              • #67
                Re: First Video recorder?

                My family first got a Sony SL-C9UB Betamax system back in 1982. It cost the earth back then and so for years to come we were to believe Beta was the superior product... Thus we used it until the late 90s. It still works now, complete with the episodes of Tomorrow's World and just about anything airing in the nineties, few 80s tapes, too. Amazing how those tapes have lasted, over 30 years...

                Comment


                • #68
                  Re: First Video recorder?

                  Ferguson Videostar front loader, had to buy second hand recon though

                  Just been reminded by the missus that it was a top loader that I had first (must be either the alcohol or old age playing tricks again)
                  Last edited by spuggybridge; 24-09-2017, 01:14. Reason: I have bee corrected

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    Re: First Video recorder?

                    We didn't get our first video until 1987. No one round here called it a Vee See Are, it was just a video. Our video was a Panasonic which my dad bought second hand from someone in work. Not sure how old it was but some of the writing for the buttons on the front of it were wearing away and we got about 9 years out of it.

                    I remember in the video shops where they had the real boxes for the films out on display some still had their original price tags on them of about 60 to 70. I often wondered how many rentals you would need to do before you would see a profit on your investment?

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      Re: First Video recorder?

                      Originally posted by trip2themoon View Post
                      We didn't get our first video until 1987. No one round here called it a Vee See Are, it was just a video. Our video was a Panasonic which my dad bought second hand from someone in work. Not sure how old it was but some of the writing for the buttons on the front of it were wearing away and we got about 9 years out of it.

                      I remember in the video shops where they had the real boxes for the films out on display some still had their original price tags on them of about 60 to 70. I often wondered how many rentals you would need to do before you would see a profit on your investment?
                      Video rentals & pirating were common in the early 1980s due to the high cost of pre-recorded tapes, though they quickly came down so by the end of the decade you could get most stuff for around 10. Most shops had the original boxes on display, but gave you the tape with a generic video shop box so you wouldn't be tempted to steal it!
                      The Trickster On The Roof

                      Comment


                      • #71
                        Re: First Video recorder?

                        In the mid-80s I frequented a corner shop that had an upstairs section for video rentals and I got into the habit of renting 2 videos for 1.50 on friday afternoons. There were just shelves of empty video boxes and you picked out what you wanted and took the boxes downstairs to get your videos in generic boxes. There was no-one upstairs apart from people wanting to rent, and occasionally the covers of the original boxes would be stolen. I remember the shop owner telling me how brassed off he was about it.

                        Comment


                        • #72
                          Re: First Video recorder?

                          Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                          Video rentals & pirating were common in the early 1980s due to the high cost of pre-recorded tapes, though they quickly came down so by the end of the decade you could get most stuff for around 10. Most shops had the original boxes on display, but gave you the tape with a generic video shop box so you wouldn't be tempted to steal it!

                          I remember Global had this bizarre pay when you return them rather than pay when you take them out. My mate drove us to the shop one day and asked me to pop in and return 4 tapes. I walked in, dumped them on the counter and headed for the door, The guy serving says "hey, you pay for these on return". I'm like "eh? They're not my tapes". He asked me where I got them and I said I found them and brought them here because of the name on the cases. I'm pretty sure they can find out who had rented them through their database.

                          Comment


                          • #73
                            Re: First Video recorder?

                            lol Quick thinking

                            Not seen pay on return, but one shop I used c1980 made you pay a 20 deposit and used it up at 1 per night, so you could hire 20 films for your 20 as long as you only kept them for one night each.

                            Originally posted by trip2themoon View Post
                            I remember Global had this bizarre pay when you return them rather than pay when you take them out. My mate drove us to the shop one day and asked me to pop in and return 4 tapes. I walked in, dumped them on the counter and headed for the door, The guy serving says "hey, you pay for these on return". I'm like "eh? They're not my tapes". He asked me where I got them and I said I found them and brought them here because of the name on the cases. I'm pretty sure they can find out who had rented them through their database.

                            Comment


                            • #74
                              Re: First Video recorder?

                              My parents were so old fashioned that we didn't get a VCR until 1989 (the same year that we first got a landline telephone). The first thing they recorded on it was the omnibus edition of EastEnders that Sunday as they went on a day trip on that day. They only had one tape at the time and they always recorded over it every time. Years later, I accumulated a couple of hundred tapes, but we had to get rid of them in a house move.
                              I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                              There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                              I'm having so much fun
                              My lucky number's one
                              Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

                              Comment


                              • #75
                                Re: First Video recorder?

                                Originally posted by Colin View Post
                                First Video the family hired was a Sharp VC381H in 1983. The first thing I recorded was 'The Final Countdown' starring Kirk Douglas. The tape lasted until I finally disposed of my VHS collection two years ago.
                                I then purchased a Ferguson Videostar 3V48 in 1986 which provided sterling service until about 2006 when the drivebelts finally gave up.
                                I finally purchased a JVC HRD960EK Editing deck in 1992. I still have it but it was nowhere near as reliable, having been repaired twice.
                                Do you have the User guide/manual for the JVC and if yes could you scan it for me?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X