First computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: First computer

I also started with the Amstrad 6028 I used to play a game called Battle chess on it I loved seeing those characters wading into each other wish I could play it now

Comment

You can try this link for Battlechess (via an emulator). I believe its now abandonware.

Battle Chess - Amiga Game / Games - Download ADF, Review - Lemon Amiga

Cheers
      Woff

Comment

Mine was a Commodore 64 which my dad won somewhere, it had a Terminator 2: Judgment Day game with it. The game was ridiculously hard, the first level was a straight fight against the T-1000 villain from what I remember but the second had you as John Connor on a bike trying to escape a truck or something. I never did get past that second level and all in all, didn't really use the Commodore 64 a great deal.

Comment

My first computer was a Commodore, can't remember which one though, I'm sure the screen was mostly green. After that I had an Amstrad which had Basic and a driving game called Burnin' Rubber.

Comment

I had a spectrum, but always wanted a C64, which I think makes me some sort of traitor!

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Focus View Post
              I had a spectrum, but always wanted a C64, which I think makes me some sort of traitor!
              Nah, I had both and each had their plusses and minuses. But I had left school and started work by then so I didn't have to suffer the playground 'which is the best computer' wars.

Comment

My dad bought us a BBC Micro Model B around Christmas 1982.

I learned to program in BBC Basic and played a lot of games from Acornsoft, in particular Arcadian and Elite.

Comment

Spectrum 48k. Started saving up some money from my paper round and my dads aunt left me the rest when she died. I used to spend hours playing football manager on it. It became very annoying when they started putting anti-piracy features on the software. Some tapes were so sensitive to the volume setting and would take several attempts to load. Very frustrating.
                  "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Comment

Binatone console - possibly still have
                    zx Spectrum 16k - still have
                    Amstrad cpc 464 - still have ( but I dropped the Monitor while putting it in the loft )
                    A Tiny pc ( 16 gig hard drive, 600mhz ) still have and still works
                    DON'T TELL HIM YOUR NAME PIKE!!

Comment

I had the Binatone, too. My first actual computer was a UK101 kit-build computer.

This is what it should look like:

Mine, however, was a rectangular wooden box about 2ft long 1ft wide and about 9 inches deep, with a black leather cover on the top and a hole cut into it for the keyboard. I couldn't program a damn thing on it as the keys were buggered, and every time I hit 'P' out would come 'PPPPPPP' and the delete key didn't work. Basically, it was machine designed specifically to put the words "Syntax Error' on my B&W telly.

Luckily I got a C64 for Christmas next year. Only had a few games of my own, but my mate had loads, so I would run round his house and borrow one, load it up on cassette, then not switch the computer off until I was bored with the game. The three most addictive games I remember for it were Falcon Patrol II, Football Manager, and AH-64 Apache. I actually used to dress up as a helicopter pilot to play Apache, and take my headphones and extend them so one earpiece was by my mouth like a headset.

One year I got a word processor program and a printer for it. I eagerly typed up a thank you letter to my brother, went to print it out, then the C64 crashed, and never worked again.

I don't think I actually owned another computer until 2000, and the only console I had until I bought my wife a PS2 was the Atari VCS I had. I had a sad, game-free 20s.
                      Official archivist: , July 24 2010 Guardian Technology.

Comment

My first computer was a Commodore Vic-20, followed by Commodore 16, Amstrad CPC464 and then Commodore Amiga 600.

We used Commodore-PET and BBC Micro at school for our BASIC programming computer lessons, lessons which are meaningless now.
                        Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Comment

My family got an Acorn Electron for Xmas 1984. At the time I hasn't seen one before, but I was quick to spot it was similar to the BBC Micros at school.

It's still up my parents loft, before it went up I used to get it out from my wardrobe to have a go, it took some running in over a few days to get it to work for a decent period of time, but it always was a labour of love to use even when new.

About the last time I had it set up for a time I managed to get a joystick interface for it of Ebay, & some games were totally different to play compaired to keys.
                          The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by remember View Post
                            This picture shows you the membrane keyboard. Its basically two membranes or plastic sheets with electrical contacts between them instead of proper moving keys. I remember the contacts on the membranes would break quite easily if you used them too much
                            That was my first computer. It cost me £60 which was almost a full weeks wages back in 1983. I then got a Memotech 16K ram pack for it. I remember the ram pack's instructions said you could probably never fill it up.

Comment

Originally posted by dean80's View Post
                              this is what i had. A true classic.
                              All ZX Spectrum owners need to go here (youtube).

Comment

Can confirm the rather impressive Vectrex delivering the goods. Next to the competition, it just looked amazing. Unfortunately, it just didn't take off - it didn't help that there was a myth going around that they were made with displays that were a one off consignment for a different customer that Milton Bradley snapped up...

In terms of actual computers, my first was an Amstrad CPC464 (saw an awesome idea online a couple of years ago - some bright spark had converted loads of game tapes to MP3s, popped them onto an iPod Shuffle and plugged it into one of those tape deck converters for car stereos - nice!). Knight Lore, Sorcery, Ikari Warriors... Kind of great days.

Bought an Apple SE30 in the mid 90s with 8mb of RAM and an 80mb hard drive. Haven't used it for a while, but there is no way on this earth that I would part with it.

Wish that I had three items:
                                ZX81 with all the trimmings
                                Commodore Amiga (500 or 600)
                                Acorn BBC Micro B - have a whole new level of respect for that machine - just remember it being built like a tank!

Comment

Working...
                                X