The internet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The internet

Can anybody remember the first time they used the Internet?

I remember the first web page I ever attempted to load. Embarrassingly it was the Children's BBC page! I had no clue about computers but there were a few at university and I decided to have a go. I'd seen the web address on the telly so typed it in to see what would happen, then panicked as the big CBBC logo started to appear strip by strip. Luckily it was so slow that I managed to get it closed down before anybody saw it.

Later that year I remember going to the library to try to find out some information on the internet and a friend had told me to use a search engine and I didn't have a clue what she was talking about!

Its odd to think now how pivotal these moments were for me, considering how much I rely on the Internet now.
    1976 Vintage

Re: The internet

94/95. In school. I don't remember which site I looked at first, it was probably something games related. I used to look at the teletext one quite a lot in school, along with the BBC site. Things were so basic then. It used to take forever to load images.

I used to spend a lot of time on Lycos chat rooms in some classes.

Comment

I think my first time would have been at work in the late 90s, probably an ice hockey site. I did get a quiet word off my then manager for being on the internet too much I also remember getting excited when I got my very first email account at work in about '98 and then waiting days to get my first email.
      The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

Originally posted by HG View Post
        I think my first time would have been at work in the late 90s, probably an ice hockey site. I did get a quiet word off my then manager for being on the internet too much I also remember getting excited when I got my very first email account at work in about '98 and then waiting days to get my first email.
        I don't remember my first dealings with email but do remember seeing email addresses for the first time and wondering what they were for. And not knowing what @ was.
        1976 Vintage

Comment

My first time online was sometime in late 1994 in college. A bit before that I remember CBBC asking people to send e-mails in.

I didn't really start using it at home until 1998, when I eventually got round to getting an e-mail account & never really looked back.

Getting a computer to dial up could be hit & miss, at least once I spent a couple of hours trying to get a connection.
          The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

yea i remember thought it was great to type in something and u could find about it now life is the internet
            THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE TRUST NO ONE

Comment

I recall reading in the Guiness Book of Records that the Internet, which is the biggest computer network in the world, started in 1988. It was probably only available in the US at that time. I used to have a book on computer games in the early 80's which predicted you'd be able to challenge someone else to a game before the year 2000, but we were using the Internet way before then so things obviously progressed much more quickly than what they thought they would at that time.
              Actually, probably not many people know this but the Internet actually originates from a network of computers called ARAPNET which started in 1969.
              "The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the universe and everything is .....42"

Comment

For me it would be June of 1999 and the first thing I looked at was eBay because I was planning to sell there right from the get go.

Comment

I think it was 1997 or possibly 1998 when I was at College when I first found went on the Internet and got to know about it. I recallsaying to my Mum, "have you heard of this thing called the Internet" and saying how good I thought it was. I think I first really got to know about the Internet while at College - looking on the College's own version of it which was like a sort of Teletext - I think it was called Inthranet or something similar - though i'm unsure of it's eaxct name.

80sChav

Comment

Ok not the first time I used the internet, but the first time I heard about it.

I was working on a property in 1996 and talking to the stuctural engineer he mentioned getting up at 4 in the morning to go 'on the internet because it was cheaper than during the day', and he was met by me and my mate looking at him in complete bemusement..........didn't have a clue what he was talking about .

That inernet thing will never catch on ya know

Comment

Originally posted by 80sChav View Post
                      I think it was 1997 or possibly 1998 when I was at College when I first found went on the Internet and got to know about it. I recallsaying to my Mum, "have you heard of this thing called the Internet" and saying how good I thought it was. I think I first really got to know about the Internet while at College - looking on the College's own version of it which was like a sort of Teletext - I think it was called Inthranet or something similar - though i'm unsure of it's eaxct name.

80sChav
                      Probably intranet, which lots of places had. It's the generic name for a small scale network of linked computers.
                      1976 Vintage

Comment

Originally posted by myself View Post
                        Actually, probably not many people know this but the Internet actually originates from a network of computers called ARAPNET which started in 1969.
                        Actually, the proper abbreviation for this old network was ARPANET. If you google it you'll find a wealth of information.
                        "The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the universe and everything is .....42"

Comment

i remember hearing of the internet in the mid to late nineties but it was only the very well off who had it and say big companies.
                          when we first got ours certain times of the day where more expensive to use it than other times.

does anyone else remember this.
                          FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

i didn't get the privilege to use the net til about 2001, i left school in 97 and even then it wasn't in our school in Scotland, our school got it the year after i left lol, i then went on to do a course in IT, and the place i did my course didn't even have the net either, it wasn't til i was at college that i finally got to use it lol.

Comment

6PM. Logging on time. A nation listening to the modem squeal and whine while it was establishing a connection. Everyone jumping on screwing up what little bandwidth was available so that everything moved at an even slower crawl. Those were exiting times.

It's hard to think that in less than a decade we went from that to looking at internet on our phones on 3G networks.

Comment

Working...
                              X