• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 80sChav
    replied
    Re: Video v DVD - making the transition

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
    I managed to pick up some from my local Tesco's VHS exchange table, which mostly had pre-recorded tapes but also some home recorded ones.

So far I've only had time to look through 1, some fairly interesting stuff but nothing really amazing yet.
    I have been there and "bought the T Shirt, and worn it" though not literally lol) , but had moderate sucess with this kind of idea about 6 to 8 years a-go from a Total wreck of a charity shop that had been broken into many many times beyond words - which I sorley miss even though in my Home Town we are getting a new Library there in it's place - it certainly was a "gem of qa place to bargain hunt" and i gave more Footy Mags and other non-descript acrewed Mags there than anyone could imagine before it's imminent closure and move to a Neighbouring City

They often aggled a great bargain with you too and never mind - that is where I bought a very hard to find "Duty Free Box Set" from - but as I don't use my Video for playing that much now - I just like to a-crew old loved TV Programmes on Box Set's for Ornimental Reasons to show the "appreciation of time" if you will and as we have a bit of mold here the idea may not harbourr well in collaberation with playing t on my Machine - but they all look good in theiir Box sets so why not

Also upon a few finds in the same shop I found (contary to how I have asked on here before) a taping of a Horse Film - but not the ledegendary Black Beauty and some Xmas clippings of advertising programmes from 1989 including a segment of the Bread Special's Advert. Regarding the Horse Film (with no words - if that helps!!) I spent all one May Day Bank Holiday Morning Watching that - it was so long, which makes me certain it was'nt Black Beauty

On a sadder note too - I have lost many good recording's myself on the reverse route - like EastEnders - Ian and Mel's Wedding Night 1999 and Barry and Paul going to Scotland for Barry's wedding to Janine Circa 2003 and recall-ing Ronnie Williams' Angels being played in the Car, on it as the drove there as well too as many other Comedy's besides!

80sChav

Leave a comment:

• Richard1978
    replied

Originally posted by Zincubus View Post
    You may find some “home movies “

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I've heard that's why some charity shops didn't accept non-pre-recorded tapes even years ago.

Leave a comment:

• Zincubus
    replied

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
    I managed to pick up some from my local Tesco's VHS exchange table, which mostly had pre-recorded tapes but also some home recorded ones.

So far I've only had time to look through 1, some fairly interesting stuff but nothing really amazing yet.
    You may find some “home movies “

Leave a comment:

• Richard1978
    replied

Originally posted by akb48fan View Post
    The one thing I've liked with everybody moving from VHS to DVD is so many people are selling their used tapes as blanks on Ebay. Years ago I bought a load of used Scotch tapes from Ebay to see if there might be anything interesting on them so that I could transfer them onto DVD. Apart from a documentary series about TV advertising in the 50's/60's and some Dad's Army stuff I didn't gleam that much out of them. I have been tempted to buy some more but I suppose it's pot luck with what you'll find on the tapes.

Leave a comment:

• akb48fan
    replied

The one thing I've liked with everybody moving from VHS to DVD is so many people are selling their used tapes as blanks on Ebay. Years ago I bought a load of used Scotch tapes from Ebay to see if there might be anything interesting on them so that I could transfer them onto DVD. Apart from a documentary series about TV advertising in the 50's/60's and some Dad's Army stuff I didn't gleam that much out of them. I have been tempted to buy some more but I suppose it's pot luck with what you'll find on the tapes.

Leave a comment:

• staffslad
    replied

I have had a VCR since 1980 and a DVD recorder since around 2007. My personal experience with the DVD recorder was that I recorded far less than with the VCR as I found the process more cumbersome and less convenient. Of course, that may well have been that particular model of recorder and more modern ones I would hope are more user friendly, but the manual for the one I have is quite thick and I found that operating it was not that intuitive. For instance, after recording a tape you just stop it and eject, but with the DVD recorder you could not just eject, but first have to go into the menus and 'close' the DVD, because if you just eject it then it will not play. I also had trouble re-recording on DVD writables. I couldn't get my machine to consistently overwrite a recording so resorted to only using DVDRs, so I had to make sure the DVD was full prior to closing and ejecting. Again, hopefully modern machines are better and more user friendly. The one big advantage that I found recording on DVDs had was that storage space required was far smaller than for storing tapes. We now have a hard drive recorder, so the DVD recorder is more usually used nowadays as a player.

Please let us know how you get on with your new DVD recorder, George.

Leave a comment:

• George 1978
    replied

I did get my DVD recorder for Christmas - when I get it out of the box, I will connect it up with my existing VCR via a lead of course, (and presumably a SCART socket), and hopefully I will get the best of both worlds.

Leave a comment:

• George 1978
    replied

Don't worry - no need to apologise.

I have let my family know that I might want to modernise - I shall still soldier on with my VCR if all else fails.

Leave a comment:

• Zincubus
    replied
    Video v DVD - making the transition

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
    I am still scratching my head as to what snakes have to do with videos or DVDs.
    My apologies ... you'll have to indulge me now and again

I tried to explain in my post #20
    ( the bit I quoted of yours and the first paragraph of mine ....

Basically we're both Aspie's , both like being kinda different and both obsessive..for starters

Last edited by Zincubus; 10-12-2018, 21:23.

Leave a comment:

• George 1978
    replied

I am still scratching my head as to what snakes have to do with videos or DVDs.

Leave a comment:

• tex
    replied

Fascinating creatures, my neighbour once kept a huge snake outside in his garden shed, i assumed it was heated. he said it was a python and asked if i would like to put it around my neck and shoulders, i said yes and it weighed about the same as a bus, a week or so later we spoke over the garden fence and i enquired about the python, he explained that it was in actual fact a boa constrictor and that he had given it away to a more experienced keeper. i dodged a bullet there me thinks!

Leave a comment:

• Zincubus
    replied

The one above is 7 foot long , very strong yet very gentle [emoji4]

Leave a comment:

• Zincubus
    replied

Thanks for the warning. [emoji4]

There's nothing quite as satisfying as recording something yourself and thinking that you are the ONLY person who has done that - Christmases, Royal Weddings and anything else special on TV.
    That sounds a bit like me in a way ... I like being different and even 'appearing' to be different and yet I despise LOOKING different so I always wear dark or grey coloured clothes and I'd never wear anything brightly coloured that would draw attention to myself in public .

It's quite a contradiction that I don't really understand. ..

One of my hobbies / obsessions is keeping snakes which done for ages ... I like it that people are stunned when they learn that this quiet , shy , introvert guy has a collection of snakes at home ..

I even take it a step further as I soon grew tired of owning the usual types of snakes and so I have an extraordinary collection of unusual yet very desirable snakes ( desirable to other snake lovers lol ).

Here's one of mine .. very tame of course [emoji6]

Last edited by Zincubus; 10-12-2018, 04:32.

Leave a comment:

• Richard1978
    replied

Isn't there a Region 0 which is neutral - in other words, anyone in the world can use it? I believe that Region 1 could be United States only.

When I got some DVD of a well known series ten years ago, I was aware of the regional (or should I say national) variation of the different Region codes, and I went down to actually quoting my Post Code to the seller to make sure that it was compatible for where I live!
    Yes I have 1-2 DVDs that are Region 0 some DVDs sold by smaller suppliers use this so they don't have to press up ones different regions.

Leave a comment:

• Moonraker
    replied

Yes region 1 is usa. I wanted to purchase a dvd of the Amerucan comdey series Barney Miller

Leave a comment:

Working...
X