X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Ghettoblaster

Originally posted by amethyst View Post
    You dont see folk walking down the street with their box anymore lol
    I used to back in the 80s all the time, used to walk past the house of a girl I used to fancy and turn it up (not sure what I was expecting to achieve!).
    Would still use one for music at a BBQ or maybe the beach.......... trouble is my large ones take TEN 'D' cells.

Comment

Ten D cell batteries in mine too lol It was massive and could only be carried on your shoulder
      sigpic
      Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

ive had nearly 1000 old ghettoblasters in the last 5 yearsstraight up!ive had jvc's,sanyos,sharps,panasonics,aiwas,sonys and various others-paid between £1 and £500 for individual ones!only got a couple now,well 4 actually-a massive hitachi 8200,a jvc with a built in record player,a big sony and a second hitachi as im moving off them in favour of vintage packaging instead-if anyone lives near me in west yorkshire your welcome to drop in for a brew and a look

Comment

Originally posted by stuckinthepast77 View Post
          ive had nearly 1000 old ghettoblasters in the last 5 yearsstraight up!ive had jvc's,sanyos,sharps,panasonics,aiwas,sonys and various others-paid between £1 and £500 for individual ones!only got a couple now,well 4 actually-a massive hitachi 8200,a jvc with a built in record player,a big sony and a second hitachi as im moving off them in favour of vintage packaging instead-if anyone lives near me in west yorkshire your welcome to drop in for a brew and a look
          Is that the record player in the form of a slot to put the record in similar to ones they had in cars? The car ones died the death as the records they played would get scratched due to road vibration
          sigpic
          Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

You must have been scouring carboot sales far & wide, or did you just use ebay to collect all of them!?
            The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

no mate,just everything was scoured from the boot sales and 'tip offs' from friends and from recycle centres-cant afford ebay:cry:

Comment

hey twocky,no its a proper record player that pops out from the base of the unit on a motoralas it needs a new stylus and i cant find one!

Comment

no mate,just everything was scoured from the boot sales and 'tip offs' from friends and from recycle centres-cant afford ebay:cry:
                  OK there were lots on the market in the 1980s, I had a Grundig one that might still be in my parents garage, but might have gone in a clearout, knowing them.
                  The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

just got a grundig party centre this morning,a 500 model,for 2 pound-needs lots of work but im up to the challenge

Comment

hey twocky,no its a proper record player that pops out from the base of the unit on a motoralas it needs a new stylus and i cant find one!

That is big Stuckinthepast just like a CD tray but a massive one
                      sigpic

Comment

absolutely!weighs a tonne too-problaly retailed for about £400 in 1984

Comment

I had one or two Heather yeah. One was smaller and the other massive. I recall as well how people took to walking about with Ghettoblasters instead of Portable Cassette Players./ I never subscribed (or even thought of subscribing to the idea/trend) but so so wish I had now!

80sChav

Comment

Necro Thread Reboot

No idea what I did with my Philips.. must have sold it before I moved out of Brighton
                            However, I have just started to restore/collect Boomboxes

Here are my first two..

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3195.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	299943 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3201.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	299944

Comment

I also have a scaled down JVC M90 and a mini bluetooth set

Name:	IMG_3257.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	299947

Comment

Name:	IMG_5398.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	300262

added the classic SHARP GF 9191
                                Last edited by sixtyten; 09-02-2024, 21:26.

Comment

Working...
                                X