Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: VCR's in general

The first video I had...
    Ah yes. We borrowed it from my aunties (Then) boyfrined , 1979, I think but I defienteyl remember The Ultimate Warrior (this was a post apocaylptic society film)! The first pirrate video I saw was Mad Max 2.
    WELCOME TO HELL!!!

Comment

The first I saw or heard of video recorders was when one was being offered as a prize on a TV game show. I just couldn't believe it was possible to record a programme whilst watching another channel. Ah! technology is a wonderful thing!
      The people of Oman don't like the Flintstones but the people of Abu Dhabi do!

Comment

first one we had was one of those top loaders.
        wish i could remember the make.
        it was so bulky like much of the early video player,beta machines etc.

must have been late eghties before they did slimmer models.
        FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

The first vcr we had was the Fergusion videostar 3v29 top loader.Click image for larger version

Name:	ferguson3v29.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	259855
          sigpic

Comment

We didn't get our first one until about 1986. We were always late getting anything in our family. Colour TV, microwave.

By that time they were VHS and front loaders, and I remember it had auto-tracking where you just pressed a button, whereas early models you had to turn a knob until the picture improved. I'm sure it was rented and it didn't have a remote control at all. It was Philips I think although I saw the same model badged as a Grundig. Philips owned Grundig at the time apparently.

The crazy thing is we've come full circle now. I have a hard-disk recorder now and it can only record the channel that the satellite box is actually tuned to. Also, VideoPlus doesn't work so it has to be programmed manually. Nowadays I don't have much cause to record anything.

Comment

My family didn't get a video until just before Xmas 1987, due to uncertaintly over the VHS/Beta format war & high prices.

We got an Amstrad 4600 with the novelty of extended play so an E180 tape could hold 6 hours, at a loss of picture quality. It lasted until 2004, when my parents got a video / DVD combo with a very user unfriendly timer record that even I couldn't manage to programme correctly every time.

I've now got a DVD recorder with built in Freeview tuner so I can just select what needs recording from the programme guide, as long as I remember to put a blank disk in.
              The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Our first VCR was made by that well known company Tashiko and we got it from the Granada shop in 1988. By then VCRs had become more slimline and ours was quite stylish if I say so myself, although it broke down a lot (didn't they all!). I remember giving my dad strict instructions to go for a VHS and not a Betamax because "VHS is the future" . First thing I recorded was Top of the Pops with Yazz singing 'The only way is up'.
                1976 Vintage

Comment

The vcr's were far better and quicker. You could just drop it straight in and play. Now you have to change your setting etc etc.

Comment

Oh god, I remember going on summer holiday and my Dad laying on the floor listening to barked orders from my Mum over what she wanted it setting up to record. Every conversation the same.

"Is it on long play? I cant get all my soaps on there unless you put it on long play!"

Those were the days.

Comment

We got our first VCR in 86 and i remember it was the greatest moment of my life (at the age of 11) but not being allowed to use it until my dad rented a tape.
                      I always wanted one of those Double deck VCRs so i could copy tape to tape! Never got one from santa :cry: Probably a good job i didnt get one

Comment

The first VCR in our house was rented, and the first video that came with was "Scarface" from 1983 with Al Pacino! I went out to play, and all you could hear was swearing and chainsaws from the back garden!

Comment

Originally posted by Rains View Post
                          VCR's get a lot of stick now the DVD player is king. But it's so quick to put on a half watched tape and continue watching where you left off. I challenge any DVD player to load and go as quick. Press play and you're on your way.

www.fansofbritishtv.com
                          I can't properly recollect what year we got our first Video Recorder (though it'd be the mid 80s). Sorry though rains but I think that Video is still the King not DVDs - though they are good. Sadly though I just wish Videos now were of superior quality like they once used to be!

Comment

Blue ray has not become a massive hit yet like Vhs and Dvds.Vhs is redundantthese days to the most part.Dvd is still the mainstay.Most people don't want to replace there Dvd collection again after up grading from Vhs to Dvd.
                            sigpic

Comment

The problem with bluray is that a lot of releases don't really use it to it's fullest capabilities. It isn't like DVD where they make the most of the space. A lot of bluray releases are just buffed up dvd releases.

Comment

Originally posted by Sly View Post
                                The problem with bluray is that a lot of releases don't really use it to it's fullest capabilities. It isn't like DVD where they make the most of the space. A lot of bluray releases are just buffed up dvd releases.
                                They should really be using Bluray to release TV series boxed sets that otherwise would take up far too many DVDs. As far as I know you can fit five times as much DVD quality video on a Bluray disc. This and video games are they only real use I can see for Bluray.

Comment

Working...
                                X