X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello

Hello everyone,

The name is Paul, born March 1966.

I'm an electronics/telecommunications engineer, work has always been in the various and associated fields of general electronics, radio & telephone, computers, and so on.

I have a special interest in the historical development of these technologies, and on the non-technical side a definite love of old movies, music & TV shows (mostly older movies and music through to the 1960's, but extending to 1970's TV and some of the slightly later music - I just become much more selective as we get more up to date!).

A Londonder originally, I've lived in various parts of the country, currently in rural Norfolk.

Re: Hello

Hello and Welcome to the forum Paul
    Heather

Comment

hello paul nice to see you here and have a great time.
      FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Hi Paul,
        Greg from Coventry here.
        I was born same year 1966. I lived through the micro revolution of the 70's and 80's.
        My first micro was a zx81 with rampack and then I upraded to a speccy issue 1 with 16K and elastomer keyboard.
        Happy memories of going round my mates house and spending hours entering lines of code from the latest issue of Spectrum user only to find out that it crashed because they had misprinted a line of code!
        Im sure you probably had similar experiences.

Comment

Hi welcome Paul

Comment

Thanks for the welcome everybody.

Originally posted by Shado66 View Post
            I lived through the micro revolution of the 70's and 80's. {.....} Im sure you probably had similar experiences.
            I was an Acorn user when I finally managed to get my own microcomputer at home, first an Acorn Atom I built from the kit, then a BBC Model B after that. I'd grown up with an interest in electronics since an early age, building simple radios, "playing around" with all sorts of old tape recorders, radiograms etc. that I picked up at jumble sales and which were donated by neighbors, building little logic circuits, and so on. I found the Acorn units provided great opportunities for interfacing to various projects with the fairly versatile I/O options on them. I never had any Sinclair stuff myself, but I remember a school friend had a ZX80, complete with the troublesome expansion RAM pack (16KB if I recall correctly) and its dodgy edge connector.

But fortunately, I managed to be able to play around with computers since I was about 11, as the first high school I attended had an old Elliot 803 machine, complete with the usual selection of tape punches and readers, adapted Selectric for console I/O, etc. for a machine of that era. After a change of school I was able to use the PDP-11/40 at the local college over a dial-up link via the ubiquitous ASR33 teletype, then the school got a Research Machines 380Z later.

Also, fortunately for my interest at that time, the husband of one of the teachers at my school was very much a micro enthusiast himself and had all sorts of homebrew equipment, mostly based on the 6800 CPU, so I learned a lot of assembly programming from him. And we did have a computer store in town where I could go and drool over the Commodore PET, TRS-80, and other goodies of the era and play with them as much as I wanted. (Back when such places were little backstreet shops with the windows half covered by racks of miscellaneous "junk," and the proprietors wore T-shirts and jeans rather than suits, but knew the machines inside out - A far cry from "PC World.")

So yes, many happy hours!

Comment

hi paul i'm sure you'll love this site

Comment

Hi friends am jackman.
                |

Comment

welcome jackman

Comment