Scams ain't what they used to be...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scams ain't what they used to be...

Half an hour ago, I received a phone call from a number I didn't recognise in Plymouth. It was a recorded message stating that two sums of money had been removed from my account this morning (£1,300 and £400) by Amazon and to press 1 if this was by me and 2 if it wasn't. Naturally I hung up at this point, but felt it wise to ring my bank just to confirm that no transactions had taken place. The bank contact confirmed that everything was OK and that several customers had reported the same scam. Not so long ago, another phone call from an Indian sounding chap told me that my Internet had been compromised and I needed his expensive software fix to resolve it. Then before that, there were a couple of text messages threatening me with gaol because my Nat Ins number was used fraudulently or because I had been avoiding paying tax.

Needless to say, all of these scams were ignored by me and nothing untoward has happened.

This got me thinking about scams in the good old days before widespread Internet use and online banking etc.

I can recall receiving a couple of letters talking about some distant relative who had died in Canada and who had left me $1.2 million. All I had to do was to send the administrators a 1% handling fee and the money was mine!
    There was also that win in the American lottery, which was mine to claim - after a few hundred dollars processing fee of course! The fact that I have no relatives in Canada and the only foreign lottery I ever entered was in France, reduced the credibility of these letters to something below zero. Such scams obviously do succeed on some people though, otherwise they wouldn't still exist.

Anyone else have experience of scams - either recent or in the mists of time?

Just today actually, E.mail from the courier service Hermes to say they were unable to deliver my parcel (i have nothing on order) and i should click on the attached link to arrange re-delivery of same....PAH!!
    i can usually guarantee 2-3 scam e.mails per week, just check the senders name at the top if in doubt, and DONT open any E.mail links that you suspect may be a scam.
    Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Funnily enough, I got a call on Monday from someone wanting me to flog solar panels or something - I told them I was not interested and put the phone down. At the end of the day, they are being rude by telephoning your private number, not you for putting the receiver down on them.

It had happened to me at least twice in the past - the first I wasn't so lucky, especially as it coincided with my house move, but the second one who said he was from BT (an Indian call centre with a British mobile number - very plausible). My bank got all my money back for me the second time, reported it to Action Fraud and it was also reported to some PCSOs. As I told BT about it on 150 (by virtue of the fact that the fraudsters said they were from BT), they gave me a discount on my phone bill and put me on the 1572 call service, although it doesn't always block all telephone numbers when you want them to. I had been on the Telephone Preference Service (just like the Mail Preference Service) for years ever since I lived at my old address. They had telephone me some months before but as I was busy cooking, I put the phone down on them - how glad I was in hindsight that I did that considering what happened later on.

In a nutshell, please be careful if you own a telephone.
      I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
      There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
      I'm having so much fun
      My lucky number's one
      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Oh I love getting a scam call, provides me with so much entertainment..
        My best was ;
        I had one from the “HMRC” saying I’d be arrested if I didn’t pay up unpaid tax
        pressed 1 to speak to the call centre and a thickly accented operator took my call asking for my postcode
        i gave a false one and he confirmed there was a warrant pending on that address
        I gave my name as mr Jassonyu.
        he confirmed it,
        I gave my first name as Hugh
        he confirmed it
        i put on a worried voice and asked a if he could surely confirm he had a Hugh Jassonyu
        i repeated this many times until he caught on , called me something unrepeatable and hung up

Comment

Yes, isn't it funny how THEY have the gaul to insult YOU for twigging there little game...Hugh jass

Comment

"isn't it funny how THEY have the gaul ..."

Bloody Asterix!

Comment

Originally posted by amethyst
              If your not sure who the caller is don't answer,a genuine person would leave a message on the answer machine.Dont feel guilty about being rude to cold calling and putting the phone down on them.Double Glazing Company occasionally would have the cheek to knock on the door,the last time I answered I slammed the door before they could drag on with their nonsense spieal.
              Good advice.

I nearly had a different gas and electricity supplier for each day of the week because of doorstep harassment around 20 years ago - what with people such as the police, bailiffs, meter readers, journalists, TV Licensing, Aunt Edna etc, knocking on your door when you don't expect it, sometimes it is difficult to tell apart the bogus from the genuine. Anyone can make a business card or ID badge on their computer and flash it in your face for 0.1 seconds and walk past you in the hallway. Please beware of: "I've come to read the meter", which nine times out of ten, translates as: "I've come to see if you've got your jewellery and lifesavings in your bedroom". Also, please do watch out for the classic Crimewatch UK reconstruction standard of "can I have a glass of water?" linking the fact that they say they are from the Water Board. It does help to not have been born yesterday.
              I'm having so much fun
              My lucky number's one
              Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post

Good advice.

I nearly had a different gas and electricity supplier for each day of the week because of doorstep harassment around 20 years ago - what with people such as the police, bailiffs, meter readers, journalists, TV Licensing, Aunt Edna etc, knocking on your door when you don't expect it, sometimes it is difficult to tell apart the bogus from the genuine. Anyone can make a business card or ID badge on their computer and flash it in your face for 0.1 seconds and walk past you in the hallway. Please beware of: "I've come to read the meter", which nine times out of ten, translates as: "I've come to see if you've got your jewellery and lifesavings in your bedroom". Also, please do watch out for the classic Crimewatch UK reconstruction standard of "can I have a glass of water?" linking the fact that they say they are from the Water Board. It does help to not have been born yesterday.
                Where i live we no longer have meter readers, you are required to submit your readings by E.mail.

Comment

Everybody in the building should have those intercom where you can see who is outside,when trying to access the building
                  Yes, I have one - and as my front window is transparent enough for me to look out of and see who is visiting me, (and nine times out of ten it is the postman with something that is too big for the letterbox or something expected such as my fortnightly Tesco online delivery), all is well there.
                  I'm having so much fun
                  My lucky number's one
                  Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post

Where i live we no longer have meter readers, you are required to submit your readings by E.mail.
                    British Gas are quite good with that sort of thing.
                    I'm having so much fun
                    My lucky number's one
                    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

About three years ago I received a call from a woman advising me that there were issues with my internet/broadband and that she was an employee of Microsoft.
                      Straight off the cuff I told her that I that I had the number she was calling from and that I'd be contacting Microsoft.
                      I don't think I've ever known anyone to hang up on me so abruptly!
                      Sadly there are people in society that are quite vunerable to scams. It's one of those things , the more you think about it the angrier you get.

Comment

That rings a bell, except with me it was from someone claiming to be from BT.
                        I'm having so much fun
                        My lucky number's one
                        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

My neighbour has been getting scam calls every morning,told them to buy a new phone that blocks out unwanted calls
                          No need for a new phone, just contact telephone preferences.
                          https://www.tpsonline.org.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post

No need for a new phone, just contact telephone preferences.
                            https://www.tpsonline.org.uk/
                            Be careful as they can't always block certain numbers and they can sometimes get through. If you are a BT customer, the 1572 service is worth signing up for as well - they helped me when I was a victim of telephone fraud a couple of years ago.

I'm having so much fun
                            My lucky number's one
                            Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
                            X