The death of forums...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The death of forums...

You've probably noticed it yourself, but many message boards today are dead. It's a shame, but social media is to blame for why that came about. I'm just not a fan of Facebook, Twitter, and all that.

I've been visiting forums since 2003, and they used to be very active in the mid 2000s. I'm not quite certain when the decline started, but I reckon it was after 2007 when they fell out of favour. These days, I barely receive any replies on any forum.

I'm nearly 37, so I believe that now is the time to get off forums. I'm called elsewhere, and I'm known as a fan of Resident Evil. But since the games have gotten crappy, I cannot be bothered making any more threads about it. And to be honest, nobody cares anyway. There's even some server error popping up on here. So, oh well. Here's to forums, I guess.

I think that the main problem is that compared to the 2000s and even 2010s a lot more people are doing their own thing and so when it comes to forums there is fewer response compared to a few years ago.

Also, a forum like this can be quite diverse - a specific thread probably might not be of interest to the person looking at it. I hardly respond to most threads these days, and the ones that I start don't get too many replies, but it's not the end of the world - they will remain there until someone does get to respond.

At least no reply is better than a negative one - a neutral response I can live with.
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Unfortunately, I encountered a lot of people I truly wish I had never met, either online or in person. Namely these ex autism, care personnel, my former girlfriend, that Australian guy who bothers me online, and a slew of other folk.

I agree. Things get rougher as you age. But it's not like we can stay young forever. Like that hit by the German group, Alphaville.

Resident Evil is or was my favourite video game series, but RE4 ruined it by adding in too much action and silliness. You even buy guns from a vendor, and no horror game should allow the player to purchase things to make the game make you feel like John Matrix in Commando. LOL. Then RE8 had a tall 'vampire lady' following you around in a castle, and she turns into a ridiculous black dragon looking thing. And it's just stupid. They also tried to be smart and copy Silent Hill (which Konami has finally revived - yeah!) and mannequins stalking you is not something RE should have either. But yeah. Capcom has copied so many games and movies by now, that it's not even funny.

Comment

I think a lot of people are joining Facebook groups rather than dedicated sites these days.
        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Yes. I think you're right.

I don't care much for Facebook at all. Forums are way more neat.

Comment

Originally posted by amethyst
            Could be people are losing interest with the past it's a shame really as what is there to look forward to these days depressing news.I like to discuss the past as the good old days were much better than today
            Classic example; is there any interest in what is the Christmas Number One.

Comment

I've never wanted to register with facebook/meta or twitter... mostly because of what I've heard about them from people who have. So it's the quick loading, basic, slow-paced old style forums for me or nowt.

I think there are so many other places and ways to get 'nostalgia' directly, from movies and music and documentaries, books too. Both youtube and archive.org have a lot of things to look at, you remember something and do a search and there's not much to share about it usually.
              My virtual jigsaws: https://www.jigsawplanet.com/beccabear67/Original-photo-puzzles

Comment

I don't like Facebook either - I was with Twitter for a short while but I gave it up.
                I'm having so much fun
                My lucky number's one
                Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Yip, deffo Social media platforms took me away from all the forums I was active in, I still pop my head in every now and then just to see what's happening, same with local small shops, we used to have loads, anytime you needed something you could just nip down the road and get it, same again, I think online shopping has destroyed these independent shops too.
                  DON'T TELL HIM YOUR NAME PIKE!!

Comment

I think that it is supermarkets that have destroyed independent shops on the High Street itself - butcher, baker, candlestick maker all available in one shop.
                    I'm having so much fun
                    My lucky number's one
                    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

A lot of forums have also moved to discord which I use occasionally . Don’t care for Facebook or other social media platforms .
                      back in the day I was a regular user of newsgroups

Comment

Interesting how newsgroups had been around as early as 1985, although I actually thought that they had only been around since the advent of sending emails.
                        I'm having so much fun
                        My lucky number's one
                        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I guess the likes of Facebook are more convenient. People log on everyday into one account and all updates are in your face. Personally, I won't touch any of them for that same reason. Too much junk I would think. Traditional forums like this one end up being run and contributed to by a hard core membership. Sadly, the hard-core doesn't get any younger. I still look on here every month or so but don't see so much new material as I used to. It's a similar story on the music forums I frequent as well. I think all nostalgia type forums probably have a natural life span? It's a shame but I think that's how it goes. It can be a bit discouraging posting without getting any response. Huge plaudits to all those who regularly contribute.

Comment

Am I the only one who finds social media really creepy? Apparently it's normal now, so there you go.

Comment

People behaving differently than they ever would in person? What could possibly be creepy in that?

There are still a fair number of special interest forums around. I'm pretty active on a couple besides this one, and once in a while on two or three others... it's mostly a matter of remembering my passwords for them.
                              My virtual jigsaws: https://www.jigsawplanet.com/beccabear67/Original-photo-puzzles

Comment

Working...
                              X