The implication of celibacy and Asperger Syndrome in crime

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The implication of celibacy and Asperger Syndrome in crime

I believe that this thread will probably have a very limited shelf life, but I shall feel better writing this instead, and I hope that it is seen before it disappears forever, But I make absolutely no apology for writing it. I am referring to the Jake Davison inquest which has been happening for a few weeks in Devon and is now (hopefully been finally) concluded - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/topics/c56y3wev8k9t

I read on the BBC News website on Monday about the conclusion of the Jake Davison inquest - he was the 22 year old man who shot dead five people in Keyham, Plymouth before turning the gun on himself in August 2021, and the local, regional and national media immediately got on the bandwagon and mentioned celibacy or Involuntary Celibacy (aka Incel) as the cause of what he did. Please note that I do not condone for one moment what he did, and my sympathies go to the family and friends of the victims which I believe must be going through hell on Earth at this moment in time, having to relive what happened some 18 months ago. I don't live anywhere near Devon - I last visited Plymouth in early September 2019 when I had stayed in a Premier Inn in the city for just one night before travelling home again. From my few hours there, Plymouth is a nice city and I would visit again in the future. I have been through Plymouth to get to Cornwall and back again on the National Express coach. I personally wouldn't mind living in Devon or even Cornwall - affectionally referred to by myself as the Isle of Wight, but without the ferry - I wouldn't mind that either!

I have been following the Davison inquest throughout since mid-January last month, especially the past five weeks of the inquest. I just happen to be a celibate man due to no fault of my own, and one did notice obvious similarities with the man and conditions like Asperger Syndrome which is also what I have - it was only on Monday when the Asperger Syndrome diagnosis was mentioned, but even as I am not a gambling man, I would probably have bet that he had the condition all along. I wasn't surprised to hear about it to be honest - as a matter of fact, I was almost half-expecting it to be mentioned in the news reports. My main concern is that the media will get the wrong end of the stick and assume that all people with Asperger Syndrome or celibacy are like that which we are not - look at how the tabloid anti-social "naming and shaming" of people almost led to rioting in the streets in the past, and even if those who had been named were found guilty in the courts and were sent to life imprisonment - good riddance to the News of the World (even though my late parents read it ever Sunday for decades). As a British citizen I often feel I just need to stand up for myself and express myself at what is wrong in society; taking the advantage of Articles 9 and 10 of the Human Rights Act 1998 in order to do so. I have human rights and prefer to use them, and at the moment, it is one of the very few things that can support me.

What I am both concerned and worried about is the negatve and offensive stereotype which could emerge such as: "let's get the men in white coats and lock him up in a padded cell for 23 hours a day because he has behaved just like a wild animal at London Zoo - he's celibate and so therefore he must be a dangerous person". I certainly don't want that to happen, and I do not want the national media to add fuel to the fire and make things a thousand times worse. In a nutshell, for over 20 years now, I have always felt so upset and angry when I hear or read the news when someone who has the same conditions that I do, has killed someone or has attacked someone at least. It was ironic that I was called a wimp at school because I wouldn't play the enemy at their own game - I was punched in the face by some moron (or does Political Correctness not even allow me to call him by that name?) who knew that he could get away with things like that, but I knew right from wrong, and I still do. I would have even called myself "Involuntary Celibate" because of what has happened to me, but since August 2021, I have decided to distance myself from that phrase for obvious reasons, and just use the word celibate. People are different which is all the more reason for equality and for them to be treated equally. I have felt so bad because how and who I happen to be someone who was celibate and has Asperger Syndrome. I have felt ashamed on a number of occasions.

People with Asperger Syndrome have been found guilty in the courts of offences such as murder and assault and sentenced up to life imprisonment, and each and every time it happens, I feel seething anger over the fact that the police and justice system probably know very little about Asperger Syndrome or celibacy. There is a line between the crime committed and what the person has been diagnosed with - legally, one has to think of that person as someone who has committed a crime just like most people would. I won't go into too many details about other people but, I know that Barry George who was originally convicted and later acquitted of the murder of BBC TV presenter Jill Dando being one example. I could think of a dozen others who have been in the same boat, and I feel that not only they have let themselves down, but they have also let people like myself down, and reinforcing negative stereotypes. Namedropping is not too nice, so I will refrain from doing so if I can on here. But I am at the end of my tether - my late mother enjoying her 15 Benson and Hedges a day for many years was one of the main reasons why I was born with such problems.

Anyway, I feel better now I have written this on here - I know that this is probably he wrong type of place to air my observations on what has happened, but I do feel that I needed to vent my spleen otherwise I feel that I might explode if I don't get all this off my chest. If this thread has gone by the time of my next visit to this forum, then I will obviously understand. Thank you for reading this nevertheless anyway.
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

I have Asperger Syndrome & currently married, & was in relationships for many years before then.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I've had a couple of friends with Asperger's. I expect that as with Dyslexia there is a lot of ignorance about the condition.

I grew up in a family where almost everyone smoked, almost all my school friends did, and I myself did too for over a decade, but I quit for good early 1998. Being around second hand smoke could make me really ill, especially in a car, as a kid, before I gave in and started on them myself. I'm sure I have damaged lungs still.
      My virtual jigsaws: https://www.jigsawplanet.com/beccabear67/Original-photo-puzzles

Comment

Working...
      X