Easter and the clocks going forward at the same time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Easter and the clocks going forward at the same time

Does anyone think that it is a total cop-out when Easter Sunday is at the end of March just like it has been this year? I know that the weekends that Channel Five first went on the air in 1997, and also the death of the Queen Mother in 2002 all happened during Easter weekends at the end of that month. I did all my clock and watch changing on Friday and Sarurday as soon as I ws able to without causing any coinfusion, and then, turning them around in order to avoid confusion until the official changeover takes place for the next seven months. Otherwise, I would have probably have done it a couple of weeks later, having put it off most of the time. It was certainly a Good Friday for me because the Tesco online delivery came in the evening, and at least two of the Easter Eggs were available which are in the fridge at this moment in time.

But what do people think about Easter Sunday being the shortest day of the year - i.e. only 23 hours long because the clocks went forward at 1.00 am GMT? A date which is just as important and special as Christmas in the Christian calendar? Especially if one wanted to go to church for Easter, and were at risk of oiversleeping because of one hour less of sleep before it happens? I didn't go to church, but I do feel for HM King Charles III's family who had to indure possibly going tto bed an hour earlier (not to mention the difficulties that both the King and his daughter-in-law has had over the past couple of months), and to attend church at Windsor. Also, Archbishop Justin Welby who wasn't even allowed a lie in because he was needed for the BBC Radio 4 Easter Morning Service; and even his own Canterbuiry Cathedral was needed for the BBC One coverage. I don't know whether the clocks went forwards or backwards in Vatican City but, thankfully, there are an hour ahead of the UK in any case, and so Pope Francis was on duty for his Easter Urbi Et Orbi at 11.00 am BST (Midday local time over there). I belive that Songs of Praise is pre-recorded, though.

Of corse, unless one is in Scotland (in which I had lost an August Bank Holiday in 2015 when I was up there to "celebrate" my birthday), Easter Monday is there in lieu the day afterwards, and Easter Monday is also April Fools Day - Monday 1st April 2024! Of course, there are no postal deliveries south of Scotland, so any Royal Mail assistance in doing April Fools jokes this year would be out of the window. I suppose that it helped with any jokes in Scotland? Funnily enough, Easter Sunday also happened on 31st March in 1991, and of course, the following day was both Easter Monday and April Fools Day. The irony that when New Year's Day falls on Sunday in Scotland like it did in 2023, they have the 2nd and 3rd off, but they have no days off when it comes to Easter Sunday, and even Good Friday is low-key up there as well, I assume.

Looking at YouTube where monthly omnibus editions of Classic Coronation Street are put together from ITV3 and Granada Plus repeats, the Easter Monday episode from the start of April 1991 was in the middle of the "Vera Duckworth's father Joss Shakleton" storyline (remember the pre-hairdressers Charity Shop at number two at the time?) Joss insisted that he was related to royalty as well as being Vera's father; cue Vera cutting pictures of royal family members out of magazines and making them into a collage in order to hang on the living room wall - the same wall which was flooded via leaving the bathroom taps on upstairs in the "water cut off" stryline a month later. Jack Duckworth made (courtesy of student Angie Freeman next door where former lodger Curly had moved to) who had designed a royal-style card, and the postman had supposedly deluvered it on the Monday, but in England, there was no post due to it being Easter Monday. "April Fool", Jack kept saying to Vera, and she thought that he was going nuts. Even Anglie, who helped make the card denied making it, and decided to pull their leg. A clever episode, no doubt; that episode could have been made this year apart from the main fact that actors performed are no longer with us . Ironic, considering the royal connection that the Queen Mother passed away during a similar weekend of date patterns back in 2002.

A family member has their birthday at the end of October which means that if it fell on a Sunday, they would get 25 hours to celebrate it thanks to the clocks going back an hour - lucky person. Now we have to look forward to it still being daylight after 7.00 pm. British Summer Time.
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Yes! It's too early. It feels that way anyway, but of course we know it is a moveable feast every year.

Comment

Its one of those confusing holidays i never understood why it dosent have a set date like chriistmas day etc.
      FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I hate changing the clocks twice a year.
        Why can't we stick with British Summer Time all year round?
        60% of the countries on Earth don't change their time, so why the hell do we persist with this idiotic ritual?

Comment

Originally posted by Cartimand View Post
          I hate changing the clocks twice a year.
          Why can't we stick with British Summer Time all year round?
          60% of the countries on Earth don't change their time, so why the hell do we persist with this idiotic ritual?
          I find it troublesome, & my wife even more so! She grew up near to the equator where they don't need to do any daylight saving.

For a few years the UK stayed on BST all year round but it wasn't popular with farmers & other people who started work early in the morning.
          The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I have to admit that I am already feeling the effect of the clocks going forward - I have felt a bit depressed, as well as having no heat in the place. I would have thought being April that it would get warmer compared to a couple of months ago, but it is just as cold and it always seem to rain when I look out of the window.
            I'm having so much fun
            My lucky number's one
            Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I have noticed that what with the General Election and personal problems that everything is happening at once.
              Last edited by George 1978; 11-06-2024, 22:55.
              I'm having so much fun
              My lucky number's one
              Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I prefer the clocks going back in October.
                Last edited by George 1978; 11-06-2024, 22:54.
                I'm having so much fun
                My lucky number's one
                Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
                X