Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Your very petty pet hates

Originally posted by victorbrunswick View Post
    ...the paper was written entirely in... get ready... TEXTING SHORTHAND! The story went on to explain that unfortunately for many young people texting shorthand is the only form of writing that they're familiar with.
    I found that article in the Telegraph on-line from 2003. I imagine it's the same one. I though it read as a bit of a sensationalist story. There was something on TV only last week, (I wish I could recall exactly where I heard it); a number of teenagers were asked if they used text-speak in their literacy at school and they thought the idea very funny, saying of course they didn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
      What gets up your nose?

People who make you take your shoes off when you go to their house
      I couldn't agree more - how insulting is this?!!! makes me want to deliberately trail something nasty all over their precious carpets (and I'm not usually a nasty-minded person - at least I hope not!)
      I also really hate shop assistants who pounce on you within a nanosecond of you walking through the door (I've actually compained to more than one "mannger" / "manniger" / "manninger" about this before now...), or you get one following you round at a not-so discreet distance, as though you're going to pinch something.
      The girls on the perfume counter who DON'T offer me a sample spray...
      Pitching your tent in the designated "Quiet" area of the campsite, only to return form a hard day on the hills to find the family marquee pitched "next door"...
      People who can't / don't / won't control their kids and / or dogs...
      Dog muck...

Comment

My friend's ex-girlfriend's mum used to make use take our shoes off even though the carpets in the house were nothing special.
        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by Tortie View Post
          I couldn't agree more - how insulting is this?!!! makes me want to deliberately trail something nasty all over their precious carpets (and I'm not usually a nasty-minded person - at least I hope not!)
          I also really hate shop assistants who pounce on you within a nanosecond of you walking through the door (I've actually compained to more than one "mannger" / "manniger" / "manninger" about this before now...), or you get one following you round at a not-so discreet distance, as though you're going to pinch something.
          The girls on the perfume counter who DON'T offer me a sample spray...
          Pitching your tent in the designated "Quiet" area of the campsite, only to return form a hard day on the hills to find the family marquee pitched "next door"...
          People who can't / don't / won't control their kids and / or dogs...
          Dog muck...
          This one had me thinking, Tortie
          The 'taking your shoes off thing'; I was always told by my mother, to kick off my shoes before I went into someone's house - and I still do it today. Seems quite a reasonable thing really. You've been walking in the street and then you walk on to a lounge carpet.

But I agree with your feelings about those annoyingly close shop assistants and your comments about the supposedly quiet area of the campsite. As for the parents who don't seem to be able to control their children; I became more tollerant when I began working in 'special needs'. I just realised that parents of autistic and ADHD children have to shop.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
            My friend's ex-girlfriend's mum used to make use take our shoes off even though the carpets in the house were nothing special.
            One of my big dislikes as mentioned in the first post. I once (after a drink or 5) stomped all over someone's carpet with my shoes on when they had asked me to take them off. I wasn't ever invited back lol.
            1976 Vintage

Comment

I don't like those charity workers positioned in the high street at varying points - i.e. you run the gauntlet with them....you tell one NO and then theres another smirking and coming up to you, I also hate their feigned glib chirpy attitude and how they do a jokey limber up to you...makes me mad.

I don't like the Shadow Cabinet proclaiming the ills of the standing Govt when all they'll do in power is the reverse - do another bad job...

I don't like the Leverson Inquiry - its just going to be a whitewash of Govt and the Press, at the end of the day the real bad guy is Govt...

Comment

Those awful five words: "Unexpected item in bagging area"

Couldn't sum up the naffness of the 21st Century any better than being told off by a computerised till....

Comment

Originally posted by sf1378 View Post
                  I don't like those charity workers positioned in the high street at varying points - i.e. you run the gauntlet with them....you tell one NO and then theres another smirking and coming up to you, I also hate their feigned glib chirpy attitude and how they do a jokey limber up to you...makes me mad.
                  The funny part is where I am they strategically pick the exit of Toys R Us to set up shop. It's an interesting bit of emotional blackmail. They seem to think that if you're there buying your kid a toy that you'd be in a more giving mood -- especially if your kids are there with you. What I do is attach myself to a large group of shoppers who happen to be leaving and I'm never noticed.

Comment

Originally posted by cockneykid1962 View Post
                    Those awful five words: "Unexpected item in bagging area"

Couldn't sum up the naffness of the 21st Century any better than being told off by a computerised till....
                    That is so incredibly infuriating that I've actually found myself getting into a one-way shouting match with the machine. Not only that but often these machines won't accept anything less than crisp, newly minted bills.

Comment

I hate hearing the word CHIHUAHUA mispronounced..Most seem to say CHA-WOW-ER but there's no such animal.The word is pronounced CHI-WAH-WAH...So,if you have one of those dogs it is a CHI-WAH-WAH .NOT a CHA-WOW-ER

Comment

Loose Women - bunch of old harridans talking a load of waffle thats pretty sexist towards men - they act like 'angel's too...its terrible. And it goes to prove theres really no difference between men talking rubbish with men and women talking rubbish with other women...

This Morning - its like a club for a clique on ITV - if they 'like' you they employ you - look at that Nolan - she was sacked off the above show and now shes 'The Hub' talking drivel...ugh.

Comment

one i do not like is kids running wild out of control in supermarkets etc.
                          kids shouting loudly
                          if they cant be controlled they should be left at home.

tortie i see and agere with you annoyance regarding pitching your tent in the so called quiet area of the campsite.
                          does not stay quiet for long.
                          if its supposed to be quiet it should be what it says on the tin.
                          FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

People in the express line with more than ten items and the sales staff who don't enforce their own store policy.

Comment

people pushing there way to th front of a queue when others have been an age.
                              i remember saying this to someone who did it and they did go the back.
                              FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by Marine Boy View Post
                                This one had me thinking, Tortie
                                As for the parents who don't seem to be able to control their children; I became more tollerant when I began working in 'special needs'. I just realised that parents of autistic and ADHD children have to shop.
                                Oh Marine Boy, you must be a very special person yourself to work in "Special Needs"; I admire you - genuinely! I became very tolerant, and indeed protective, of old men in particular after the first time I saw my dear dad as an old man, so I understand where you're coming from.
                                However, the ones I mean are (usually) the scruffy "chav" mums (invariably wearing leggings four sizes too small and / or with "all the goods on display" ) who think that the way to discipline a misbehaving child is to scream, shout and even swear at the child, preferably as loudly as possible. How rude is that? It seems to be ineffective too... and no doubt, self-perpetuating . I've no idea how to bring up children, but I don't think that can be the way.

Comment

Working...
                                X