Your very petty pet hates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Your very petty pet hates

I have seen this starting to creep in to our syntax of late: 'alot' instead of 'a lot'....I can only put this down to the profusion of 'text speak'...any other possible reasons? Drives me up the wall...a lot!

Comment

Graffiti -- It really irks me to no end that some sad muppets feels a need to cover any blank surface that they encounter with their childish scrawl. And I'm sorry but graffiti is NOT art.

Some years ago there was a notorious graffiti vandal out here who called himself "Chaka" whose claim to fame was to emblazon his nom de spraycan on as many well-known landmarks as possible, as well as anywhere else. When he finally got caught the local media made a celebrity out of him -- he even got an art scholarship as a result! And when he appeared in court for arraignment the stupid b*****d was even caught doing some unauthorized artwork in the courthouse elevator!

Comment

Originally posted by cockneykid1962 View Post
        I have seen this starting to creep in to our syntax of late: 'alot' instead of 'a lot'....I can only put this down to the profusion of 'text speak'...any other possible reasons? Drives me up the wall...a lot!
        Not sure if text speak is to blame as I must admit I used to write 'alot' well into my teens until I realised it was incorrect. To me it just sounded like it should be one word and I think it probably does to many kids...and adults!
        1976 Vintage

Comment

Just been reminded of another totally petty pet hate of mine - when my beloved (honestly...) hubby leaves less than a mouthful of soft drink in the bottom of the bottle! What's left is invariably flat, tasteless and yucky by the time I get to it :cry:.
          In the great scheme of things, and on a scale of troubles in the world, it doesn't even register, but it still drives me up the pipe...

Comment

Originally posted by Tortie View Post
            Just been reminded of another totally petty pet hate of mine - when my beloved (honestly...) hubby leaves less than a mouthful of soft drink in the bottom of the bottle! What's left is invariably flat, tasteless and yucky by the time I get to it :cry:.
            In the great scheme of things, and on a scale of troubles in the world, it doesn't even register, but it still drives me up the pipe...
            Reminds me of cooking shows - ingredients in small glass dishes and the cook only tips most of it in, leaving the odd bit left in the dish, or when they completely waste ingredients like expensive caster sugar - its not theirs so they waste it.

Comment

i never thought of this but now u mention it its something i dont like.

i see lots of it where iam and it so unsightly.
              the sound of the tins as they shake ready to do the deed.
              cant stand it.

Originally posted by victorbrunswick View Post
              Graffiti -- It really irks me to no end that some sad muppets feels a need to cover any blank surface that they encounter with their childish scrawl. And I'm sorry but graffiti is NOT art.

Some years ago there was a notorious graffiti vandal out here who called himself "Chaka" whose claim to fame was to emblazon his nom de spraycan on as many well-known landmarks as possible, as well as anywhere else. When he finally got caught the local media made a celebrity out of him -- he even got an art scholarship as a result! And when he appeared in court for arraignment the stupid b*****d was even caught doing some unauthorized artwork in the courthouse elevator!
              Last edited by Heather74; 27-04-2012, 09:22. Reason: fixing quote
              FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

YouTube Pet Peeves
                -- Remixes
                -- Looking for a particular scene from a movie or TV show and the only clip is dubbed in another language.
                -- Screamer vids
                -- Student Films. I'm sure you've had to wade through dozens of these class project films while doing a search.
                -- Rickroll vids
                -- Soviet Russia jokes (e.g.: "In Soviet Russia film watches you") and Chuck Norris references in the comments.
                -- Worse than amateur video. I wish people would learn to shoot proper video -- it's not that difficult. I get seasick from the shaky camera movements. And a little suggestion: A bit more footage of the subject instead of the ground.
                -- Vids filmed off a TV screen or monitor, often with people talking in the background.
                -- Slow motion of a bit of action even though anyone with half a brain can just as easily rewind

Comment

i have had this one before.
                  Vids filmed off a TV screen or monitor, often with people talking in the background.
                  had this with dr who episodes.

another is looking for a clip of something and it has music with the clip i want but not the right music.

quite often i get rick astley coming up.

Comment

another thing i dont like is people wearing there trousers half way down there backsides.
                    im in the library tyoing this and someone walked past me a few mins ago doing tht very thing.
                    white underwear he has.

Comment

• Re: Your very petty pet hates

People talking in the cinema. I can't understand why you would pay money (not cheap at that) to watch a film, only to then chat through it. The odd whisper or remark is fine, but when you have a group of people giving a running commentary on everything that happens, really gets my goat that.

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                        another thing i dont like is people wearing there trousers half way down there backsides.
                        im in the library tyoing this and someone walked past me a few mins ago doing tht very thing.
                        white underwear he has.

I see a fair amount of that sort of thing. Just as bad are 38-year-old guys dressed like 8-year-olds with the ugly shorts that can't decide whether it wants to be short trousers or long shorts, oversized T-shirt, and that stupid baseball cap worn backwards. It seems that people have gotten sloppier and sloppier in their dress. You rarely see women wearing a dress or a skirt outside of business attire at work or at a wedding or funeral and likewise you rarely see men, particularly young men, wearing as much as a button down shirt unless, once again, it's business attire or part of a work uniform. It's almost entirely T-shirts or hoodies. And don't get me going about tracksuits.

This is my own preference but I never wear a T-shirt as outerwear, it's always a button down shirt. I was at a Burger King once and there was a large family group there. The only person wearing a button down shirt was the granddad! All the younger men in the family group, who were in their 30s, were wearing the ubiquitous T-shirt.

Comment

Bar staff with the attention span of a gold fish, ie there is one person getting served and nobody else at the bar when you walk up and yet somebody else will walk up after you and get served before you.

Bus queues no longer exist. There can be a huge queue of people who have been waiting patiently for a bus. Somebody then just walks up as the bus is approaching and is fortunate enough for it to stop right in front of them. Instead of letting everyone else on first, they jump straight on.

On the subject of buses, people who sit in the aisle seat when the window is free and people who feel that their precious bag deserves a seat.

"Aloominum" What's that about? It's AL-U-MIN-I-UM.
                          "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Comment

was on the bus the other day and yes someone had a seat all for there wee bag.

another thing i see is one person taking up both seats by sitting across them.
                            its like saying i own this seat til i get off.

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                              was on the bus the other day and yes someone had a seat all for there wee bag.

another thing i see is one person taking up both seats by sitting across them.
                              its like saying i own this seat til i get off.
                              Or how about in carparks where someone (usually someone with a posh, expensive car) will park diagonally in two spaces because they're afraid that their paintwork will be scratched. Though chances are if does happen it won't be by accident. And while we're still on the subject of cars there's also the car alarm (the loud, obnoxious one that makes cartoon noises) that goes off by itself at 2:00 AM.

Comment

yes i know exactly what u mean her mate.
                                ive saw it cars taking two spaces why be greedy that does get me.
                                the reason its scraped is because they took 2 spaces.
                                yes i get that car alarm going off very close tome and its a bit annoying

Originally posted by victorbrunswick View Post
                                Or how about in carparks where someone (usually someone with a posh, expensive car) will park diagonally in two spaces because they're afraid that their paintwork will be scratched. Though chances are if does happen it won't be by accident. And while we're still on the subject of cars there's also the car alarm (the loud, obnoxious one that makes cartoon noises) that goes off by itself at 2:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X