Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Your favorite 80's band?

Originally posted by frame View Post
    Andrew Ridgely frequents one of my drinking establishments, and his mrs occasionaly takes the brownies for dance lessons,(or did).
    She was the one who was always half-a-step out when Bananarama tried to dance so the poor Brownies must have been all over the shop!

Comment

yeh, Keren Woodward..always my fav of the 3...yummy!

I just had a peek at the Bananarama website (Keren, & Sarah Dallin still going strong it seems) and boy do they still look fantastic considering they're both fast approaching 50!!
      sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

I actually sang "How soon is now?" in Karaoke at my local gay bar and God was it embarrassing! All these kids in their 20's just sat staring thinking "What's that miserable old queen on about?" !!

Comment

At the time it was Madness and i still go to see them now when they tour but got into Talking Heads in the late 80's around the time of their split. Wish i'd seen em live.
          "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Comment

Originally posted by SmartBomb View Post
            I trust you all with that dire admission.

I also purchased the MC Hammer album back in 1991 as well. If I believed in hell, I'd probably be going there for that.
            Oh lordy. If you're going to hell for buying the album, imagine the hell I'm going to... I saw him live. And enjoyed it.
            Official archivist: , July 24 2010 Guardian Technology.

Comment

Originally posted by frame View Post
              I still enjoy listening to the Smiths,"how soon is now" is a great tune ,Andrew Ridgely frequents one of my drinking establishments, and his mrs occasionaly takes the brownies for dance lessons,(or did). I must say Im still quite fond of eighties tunes.
              Funny you should say that. Andrew and Keren used to live around the corner from me in Kentish Town. I was constantly bumping into her in my local corner shop. Gorgeous, she was. Never saw hide nor hair of Andrew, though, but then I never drank at the local pub.

Comment

And I've just realized I posted two replies without a single answer of my own.

Let's see...

Tears For Fears, Duran Duran, Thomas Dolby, early Spandau, Adam Ant, Simple Minds, Japan, The Associates, Gary Numan, Lloyd Cole & The Commotions, Nik Kershaw, Depeche Mode, Propaganda, PhD,

Def Leppard, Guns & Roses, Venom, Metallica, Motley Crue, Gary Moore

REM, Aztec Camera, The Alarm, The Smiths, Big Country, Wang Chung, XTC, FYC

Siouxsie & The Banshees, Cocteau Twins, The Passions, Echo & The Bunnymen, Public Image Ltd, Bauhaus, Sisters of Mercy, The Mission, Fields of the Nephilim

Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five, Run DMC, Beatsie Boys, Afrika Bambaataa, Lovebug Starski, UTFO, LL Cool J, Public Enemy, NWA

There's loads more, but pretty covers all the genres I was into, not counting the really obscure indie stuff I would hear on John Peel's show, and, of course, completely missing out on Acid House and the whole Madchester/baggy thing, but I mostly associate that with Uni which began in 1990 for me.

Comment

Simply : The Smiths.

After them ... The Wedding Present, The Sundays, New Order, The Gargoyles, The Housemartins, Beastie Boys , Depeche Mode , Echo And the BUnnymen ...

Comment

I loved This charming man when it came out, especially the New york mix and bought their first album on the strength of that. After a couple of plays I gave it away (how young and foolish I was) but have since grown to love them as most of our generation have.

The Sundays imo are responsible for one of the best cover versions i've heard (Wild horses originally by the rolling stones). The sundays version was the first dance at my wedding.

New order, now there's a band. I was lucky enough to see them play live at G mex in manchester in the 80's and they were supported by the happy mondays. Another great manc band.

Comment

Imagination.

'Bodytalk' was amazing.
                      sigpic
                      'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

Of course, the one I forget to mention is the only one for which I have every single album, and bought quite a few of the singles, too. Big Audio Dynamite. I have no idea why I loved that band, but I did. Still break out No. 10 Upping Street and Megatop Phoenix every now and then.

Comment

The Cars, Gary Numan, Blondie, Killing Joke (their early stuff like War Dance, Tension and Requiem - not their later Brighter than a Thousand Suns commercialized c-r-a-p).

Comment

Just wanted to say that the new Madness album The Liberty of Norton Folgate is fantastic.

Comment

My favourite group of the 80's, in fact of all time is The Smiths. Nothing else comes even close.
                              Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Comment

You guys have reminded me just how many superb bands there were around in the 80s... it would be very difficult for me to pick just one band.... the jam-blondie-aha -duran duran-ultravox-visage-dire straights-genesis-gary numans tubewayarmy-bananarama-simple minds-u2-spandua ballet-madness-abc- a flock of seaguls .... the list is endless!

and I still play them all even now .. from time to time.

oh , and the awesome omd are difinitely one of my all time favorites.

Comment

Working...
                                X