Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Your favorite 80's band?

Originally posted by ArchStantonsGhost View Post
    You guys have reminded me just how many superb bands there were around in the 80s... it would be very difficult for me to pick just one band.... the jam-blondie-aha -duran duran-ultravox-visage-dire straights-genesis-gary numans tubewayarmy-bananarama-simple minds-u2-spandua ballet-madness-abc- a flock of seaguls .... the list is endless!

and I still play them all even now .. from time to time.

oh , and the awesome omd are difinitely one of my all time favorites.
    Even Dazzleships?
    "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Comment

I'm going to regret this...

Who the hell are Dazzleships?

Comment

Originally posted by Derekflint View Post
        I'm going to regret this...

Who the hell are Dazzleships?
        It was Omd's 4th album. The kindest thing I can call it is experimental.

Comment

Ohmigod, there were some dreadful bands around in the 80's, I remember seeing Aztec Camera at the students union and quite liking them, but they were a bit carp really!

The only bands that I can say that have any longevity for me from this period are The Psychedelic Furs & New Order

I didn't care much for The Smiths at the time, probably because it was 'trendy' to like them, but they are pretty good.

^ & ^^ & ^^^ Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark were initially interesting, but soon became pop carp.
          Last edited by Quetelet; 03-06-2009, 13:09.

Comment

Has to be Wham!

tulip

Comment

Originally posted by branny View Post
              It was Omd's 4th album. The kindest thing I can call it is experimental.
              Yeah... they lost their way a wee bit there Branny.

I was thinking more in terms of their hit singles .....enola gay.... locomotion....joan of arc....messages....maid of orleans....souvenir...talking loud and clear.... pandoras box... so in love .....secret..... tesla girls ....if you leave ......etc etc.

Class.

I heard the album you mention and it must be a source of embarrassment to the guys when they look back over their career .

It was truly truly awful.

Comment

Originally posted by Quetelet View Post
                Ohmigod, there were some dreadful bands around in the 80's, I remember seeing Aztec Camera at the students union and quite liking them, but they were a bit carp really!

The only bands that I can say that have any longevity for me from this period are The Psychedelic Furs & New Order

I didn't care much for The Smiths at the time, probably because it was 'trendy' to like them, but they are pretty good.

^ & ^^ & ^^^ Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark were initially interesting, but soon became pop carp.
                Please don't compare The Phychedelic Furs with OMD Quetelet.

OMD had a string of massive international hit singles in the 80s and their music is still enjoyed in bars and clubs by todays generation. The Phychedelic Furs were ....well.....to be honest ..........overrated and a wee bit carp.... a bit like Aztec Camera.

Comparing the two would be like comparing diamond with glass.... OMD being the diamond...obviously.

Comment

Originally posted by ArchStantonsGhost View Post
                  Please don't compare The Phychedelic Furs with OMD Quetelet.

OMD had a string of massive international hit singles in the 80s and their music is still enjoyed in bars and clubs by todays generation. The Phychedelic Furs were ....well.....to be honest ..........overrated and a wee bit carp.... a bit like Aztec Camera.

Comparing the two would be like comparing diamond with glass.... OMD being the diamond...obviously.
                  OMG! Them's fightin' words!
                  Official archivist: , July 24 2010 Guardian Technology.

Comment

Originally posted by Quetelet View Post
                    you think that's bad? I saw Eighth Wonder at our Uni Freshers Week....omg
                    Only redeeming feature was Patsy Kensit in a little sparkly dress...hot!

my 'main' 80's bands were: New Order (& JD before them naturellement!); The Smiths, & The Cure
                    sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

Worst live performance I saw was The Human League. I love Dare to bits, it's one of the best albums of the 80s but I was very disappointed when I saw them live. Phil Oakey couldn't hit a note and they sounded terrible.

My favourite concert was Transvision Vamp supported by Propaganda at Salford Uni in 1985. Both very good live and a crackin atmosphere.
                      Last edited by branny; 06-06-2009, 17:01.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	wham.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	3.3 KB
ID:	258837

Say no more.
                        I'm a bit like Eastenders Heather in that respect!
                        Love you George!! LOL!
                        "...And that's what I've done. Maintained it for 20 years. This old brooms had 17 new heads and 14 new handles in its time."
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by rossobantam View Post
                          my 'main' 80's bands were: New Order (& JD before them naturellement!); The Smiths, & The Cure
                          Wo! Another Smiths fan! I was also (and still am) a big fan of Joy Division (RIP Ian Curtis) - I think Bernard Sumner took New Order in the wrong direction.
                          Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by ridski View Post
                            OMG! Them's fightin' words!

Sadly delusional words, I'd venture.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiop View Post
                              Wo! Another Smiths fan! I was also (and still am) a big fan of Joy Division (RIP Ian Curtis) - I think Bernard Sumner took New Order in the wrong direction.
                              ahh little Bernie bless him...still can't play guitar AND sing at the same time
                              JD at their finest, esp Hooky's bass (I like the 2000 Space Odyssey vid with this):
                              YouTube - Joy Division - Disorder

and JD's first live performance :
                              YouTube - Joy Division - Shadowplay

But I still enjoy New Order AS MUCH AS Joy Division...esp the crossover/early stuff like Ceremony, Your Silent Face...then Thieves Like Us, Love Vigilantes, Perfect Kiss
                              sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

Originally posted by Teejay View Post
                                [ATTACH]1540[/ATTACH]

Say no more.
                                I'm a bit like Eastenders Heather in that respect!
                                Love you George!! LOL!
                                Ooh Teejay. Not touching this one.

Must... Bite... TONGUE!

Good grief. How did I not see the truth? Got Faith completely wrong!

Comment

Working...
                                X