One Hit Wonders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: One Hit Wonders

Falco also had a minor hit with Vienna Calling, & Pink Floyd had 2 hits in the late 1960s, See Emily Play & Arnold Laine.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Nah, Tiffany released a few songs off that album before dipping into obscurity. Or at least seeming obscurity - her Wikipedia entry begins with this: Tiffany Renee Darwish (born October 2, 1971), known popularly as Tiffany, is an American singer who charted several teen pop hits during the late 1980s. Since then, she has performed in a variety of genres, from country to dance, both in the United States and other countries. Since 2007, she has been charting regularly on the Billboard's Hot Dance Club Play chart.

The Really Scary bit of this for me is that Tiffany is less than three weeks older than I am...Oh brother...

Comment

Falco also had a big hit with "Der Kommissar."
        Yeah,Tiffany had a string of hits."I think we're alone now","Could've been", "I saw him standing there"( A reworking of the old beatles song),a minor hit with "Radio Romance'
        and a number 1 U.S hit with "All this time"

Comment

Dan I - Monkey Chop!

Comment

Hudson Ford?
            I remember Pick up the Pieces but nothing else..

Comment

Originally posted by memoman View Post
              I don't strictly agree with that defination,Wiklipedia have their opinion

One-hit wonder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
              In my Guinness Book of Hit Singles that I used to have when I was a teenager, IIRC their definition of a one-hit wonder was an act that reached Number 1 once and then never charted again. Note that the Singles Chart did go up to 75 in the 1980s and I think it goes up to 100 now? Under these strict criteria an artist would be disqualified from being a one hit wonder if they had a second record that reached number 74, for example. Many of the artists listed on this thread would be disqualified using this criteria.

The one I can think of off the top of my head is M/A/R/R/S - Pump Up the Volume. Some of the musicians did release another record under the name NastyRoxx Inc. but no record was released under the name M/A/R/R/S name again.

There is a list on Wikipedia.

Comment

Originally posted by grhaffdd View Post
                Hudson Ford?
                I remember Pick up the Pieces but nothing else..
                They was former Strawbs members who also had another hit(ish) that i have called, Burn Baby Burn
                They then reinvented themselves as The Monks, who had a few releases, the only one i can remember was an annoying song called... nice legs, shame about the face.
                WHO'S THE TART?

Comment

"In my Guinness Book of Hit Singles that I used to have when I was a teenager, IIRC their definition of a one-hit wonder was an act that reached Number 1 once and then never charted again. Note that the Singles Chart did go up to 75 in the 1980s and I think it goes up to 100 now? Under these strict criteria an artist would be disqualified from being a one hit wonder if they had a second record that reached number 74, for example. Many of the artists listed on this thread would be disqualified using this criteria."

I agree .
                  I always thought a one hit wonder was an act that had just one hit.Wouldn't even have to be a number 1.
                  What do you call an act that had a number TWO hit and no other? A "no hit wonder"?

Comment

My favourite one hit wonder was Stan Ridgeway's Camouflage. I still know all the words to that song... He was an awfully big marine, y'know... Seem to remember a Smash Hits interview with him which had the headline 'Sex Is Okay With Stan'.... Which is nice to know.

Comment

Japanese Boy by Anneka, think it went to #1 - was my holiday song when I was on holiday in the Isle of Wight aged about 12

Comment

Not sure this guy even had a 'hit', I remember it being it on MTV all the time around 85, but I'm sure it never charted. Anyway, the artist and song in question is Jesse Rae with 'Over The Sea'. I remember the video was crackers even for 80s standards, with Jesse dressed as a William Wallace-type Scottish warrior, running around America waving a huge sword LOL. He also has a wonderful but totally absurd song on youtube called 'Chainsaw', utterly bonkers.

Comment

Just thought of another One Hit Wonder - Driving Away from Homes - It's Immaterial !! Anyone remember that one from 1986

Comment

Originally posted by Nicola1968 View Post
                            Just thought of another One Hit Wonder - Driving Away from Homes - It's Immaterial !! Anyone remember that one from 1986
                            It's Immaterial were an amazing band! Their two albums, Life's Hard And Then You Die and Song are both awesome, they had so many great songs and deserved more recognition. They're also back together now and hoping to belatedly release their third album, House For Sale, which was due out in 1992 but was held back by the record company.

Comment

Im sorry to have to bring this up...Billy Ray Cyrus - Achy breaky Heart LOL!

Comment

Annabel Lamb's 1983 cover version of 'Riders On The Storm' comes to mind- also 'Brilliant Minds' by The Furniture, and 'The Ghosts of American Astronauts' by The Mekons, in 1988. Also 'Male Stripper' by Man2Man meets Man Parrish, a tribute to he-man gay culture from 1987.

Comment

Working...
                                X