No announcement yet.

Eurovision song contest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think I read somewhere for next year Australia are out, and Canada are in.
    Sweden next year... Yay, more Petra Mede!

Comment

• Only five weeks to go, but people are talking about it already!

Listened to Olly Alexander's song Dizzy on YouTube for the first time this week (I nearly wrote put Olly Murs on here!) Hearing the first few seconds, it felt very "Pet Shop Boys in 1987" to me, especially during their "It's a Sin" era. Quite a few people online have said the same thing as well.

I am not really fond of the name of the Irish entrant: Bambie Thug - the name sounds like someone from the University Challenge episode of The Young Ones, and even his birth name of Bambie Ray Robinson makes him sound like a boxer or a relative of Sugar Ray. The song title, Doomsday Blue sounds a little too negative for my liking, even if blue is my favourite colour (not to mention the UK's entrant in 2011 where I got the autographs of every member a few years later!) I have relatives living in the Irish Republic so I have got to think of them if they are watching them on their RTE screens!

I always like to stick up for countries that have never won the contest, and thus give them the benefit of the doubt; it would be nice is Luna who represents Poland, gets beyond the semi-finals, and also Silvester Belt from Lithuania - two countries that I haven't won or hosted it yet. I will probably adopt a neutral stance if neither of them go through on 11th May.

It's gonna be a cracker in Sweden.
      I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
      There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
      I'm having so much fun
      My lucky number's one
      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

• And... Petra's back!

Comment

• At long last, my Eurovision Song Contest 2023 Grand Final review is now available on my blog. I know it's just over 11 months have passed since the Eurovision Song Contest 2023 Grand Final took place in Liverpool on Saturday 13 May 2023, but anyway, my review will still be a memory of last year's Grand Final.

Eurovision Song Contest 2023 Grand Final review
          I am 13 ... times 4.

Comment

• "My Lovely Horse" is the best song

Comment

• Originally posted by Flash Gordon View Post
              "My Lovely Horse" is the best song
              Now that is a song title that Graham Norton would easily relate to!
              I'm having so much fun
              My lucky number's one
              Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

• First semi-finals on Tuesday, in a nutshell:

Australia - out
                Lithuania - in

I think that this is the first year since their first year in 2015 (?) that Australia has not made it to the finals. Had they done so, and won, one assumes that the show the following year would be fromr country would host (a la UK on befalf of Ukraine last year?)
                I'm having so much fun
                My lucky number's one
                Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

• The Dutch singer Joost Klein (who looks like a young Jimmy Savile) has been disqualified from tonight's final following a "backstage incident involving a female member of the production crew".

Comment

• Gives a different meaning to Going Dutch, methinks? We are not going to get a "50 years of Teach-In" tribute next year. At least the UK was no longer 13th to play since the incident, but we were unlucky to be the only country to get nothing from the televote. Again, I feel sorry about Olly Alexander's result - 18th position with 46 points. One was surprised aboiut Israel considering what has happened recemtly, and I believe that had Ukraine had won, the situation would have been identical to two years ago.

Voted for Lithuania during the "09015 - 15p a call" interval part, and putting "07" at the end of it because I thought that Silvester Belt (which on at least three occassions I accidently referred to him as Suspender Belt) needed a bit of TLC from the punters. He seems like a nice lad (not in the Larry Grayson-sort of way, may I add), and I almost felt sorry for him, especially with that silver butterfly clip thing perched on his nose - what was that, I wonder? Silver - Silvester, perhaps?

Watched it as always (a Doctor Who lovely warm-up with dancers alike throwing themselves down just a few minutes before); while I was almost getting comfortable on a black "Mastermind" swivel chair in the front room and feasting on Pizza Hut takeaway sides as I did so becaue no food was in the fridge. Congratulations to Nemo with his song The Code. As Switzerland was the very first country to win the contest back in 1956, it means that the country has the longest run between first and most recent wins. Croatia and Baby Lasagna were the favourites to win and got a worthy runner-up spot. Also, as a country, Croatia had never won the contest before.

I think, post contest, and three hours after the contest had ended, it makes me think "shall I give it another go next year, or shall I not bother?" By the time it comes around next year, we are rearing to go, or should I say in true Argos Catalogue slogan style: "you're good to go"? just like Martin Österdahl - (the ESC's answer to Rob Walker) would say.

I'm having so much fun
                    My lucky number's one
                    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
                    X