Embarrassing Gigs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Embarrassing Gigs

not so much embarrassing because of the entertainment factor but embarrassing because of what has happened since but i regularly went to see gary glitter through out the years up untill the late 80`s might have even been the early 90`s when i last went to a glitter christmas gig at the hammersmith palais

Comment

Most embarrassing gig I ever went to was my own!
      I use to play guitar in a band and only 2 out of the 4 of us turned up!!!
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by soapy View Post
        I saw the Wurzels at a steam engine rally in Southampton when i was younger. At the time i was awestruck as they'd been on TV alot after their chart success. Thinking about it now i was probably quite a good advert for Euthenasia.
        I have been reading this thread with great interest and there seems to be a common theme. " I was young at the time and did not know any better"

Think the award for the most embarrasing one though goes to Soapy for admitting seeing the Wurzels. Well done for owning up to this I am sure you feel much better after confessing to this. LOL

My own most embarrasing one was Japan and Blacmange about 1981 , not so much embarrasing as simply dreadful. I suppose the fact that I was into rock music at the time did not help much

Comment

MC Hammer in 1991. I was only 15.
          1976 Vintage

Comment

I went to see Wham in the mid 80's, i'm not proud but i feel i'm amongst friends to be able to admit it.
            Although in mitigation, i was accompanying a girl from school i was trying to score with

But in hindsight, some things come with too high a price. Particularly when your mates find out where you went at the weekend.

Comment

I went to see Michael Jackson at Wembley Stadium, London on Aug 22, 1992. Kris Kross were the support act and, when MJ inevitably failed to appear - they repeated their act with, let's face it, consisted of one song, poorly lip-synced. When MJ failed to appear again and they started their 'act' for a 3rd time - the crowd started to boo and - well, let's say the atmosphere turned suddenly quite frightening as the audience started to stomp their feet and shout 'OFF...OFF....' - it's scary how a crowd can turn into a mob in a heartbeat. Fortunately someone had the foresight to cut the music and mikes - a little bit of Queen's 'We Will Rock You' over the tannoy and MJ appeared, 45 minutes late but gave an excellent show. Crisis averted!
              Their light of pocket torch, of signal flare,
              Licks at the edge of unsuspected places,
              While others scan, under an arc-lamp's glare,
              Nursery, kitchen sink, or their own faces.
              -Kingsley Amis

Comment

Sculpher I was there on August 1st 92 the night he failed to appear at all, we queue for hours only to be turned away. He was over an hour late and were finally greeted by a strange man, who announced 'the man is ill, go home!'
                I still have my ripped ticket as we had to use it again on the 23rd of August (an extra date he made up at the end.)
                We were most annoyed because we had to hire a mini bus twice!
                However I cant complain as my ticket was paid for from the girls I worked with for my 18th birthday surprise
                Heather

Comment

Lucky escape if you ask me

Comment

Well to be honest I made an excuse saying I could not afford to go. I was only on a YTS earning £29.50 a week of which my Dad took £15 for board and £5 went on bus fare.
                    So the excuse was a very believable one.

You could of knocked me down with a feather when they presented with the ticket saying it was for my 18th the following month!
                    Heather

Comment

My ticket was bought for me by my girlfriend at the time (8 years older than me - all very scandalous!) as a 24th birthday present.
                      Their light of pocket torch, of signal flare,
                      Licks at the edge of unsuspected places,
                      While others scan, under an arc-lamp's glare,
                      Nursery, kitchen sink, or their own faces.
                      -Kingsley Amis

Comment

I went to see Alexander O'Neil at Wembley but only because a girl I quite fancied at the time was a huge fan and it earned me loads of brownie points to take her.

I also went to see Transvision Vamp. Wendy James couldn't sing in tune but I forgave her.

Comment

My ex-fiancée dragged me to a Sophie Ellis Bextor concert after one of her friends fell ill and couldn't attend. I was the only straight man there. I'm a little ashamed to admit this, but it was actually fun.

I went to see The Who in Leeds and didn't take advice to wear ear protection. It took about a week for my hearing to recover. Good gig though.

Comment

The Cult at Brixton Academy, after they'd been in America too long. Ian Astbury kept spouting a lot of pretentious rubbish in between songs about the "raw f***ing sexual energy" in the room etc, he was on a total cringe-making ego trip.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenKnight View Post
                              I also went to see Transvision Vamp. Wendy James couldn't sing in tune but I forgave her.
                              I also saw Transvision Vamp. I came out of the concert still not knowing what the other members of the band looked like!!!!! ahem!
                              sigpic

Comment

Went to see Girls Aloud,First in the Que,right at the front of the stage surrounded by teeny boppers.
                                Of course me being a man i hated every moment of it.

Comment

Working...
                                X