X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• philipdalton
    replied
    Re: which song gets you thinking about childhood

At the matches of a local football team which I regularly go to they often play "Tom Hark" by the Piranhas. I had no idea what the song was called or who recorded it, but a line about being too busy listening to the radio to join the army sounded vaguely familiar. Upon Googling some of the lyrics, I managed to track down the song. I can remember hearing it on the radio as a child, probably on Radio 1 as they specialized in the current music of the time.

Leave a comment:

• 80sChav
    replied

Originally posted by Big Tim View Post
    The first song that sticks in my head as being able to place myself in a specific time and place would be second year at junior school in 1986 - one classmate was forever singing Status Quo's "In The Army Now" - a song rarely heard on radio nowadays, but I'm guessing it must have been quite big at the time. The likes of Bros and Jive Bunny (not a fan of either) take me back to being 9 or 10, again at Junior School.

After that, the novelty summer record - "Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny Yellow Polka Dot Bikini" (Bombularina & Timmy Mallet) - 1990, takes me back to a summer holiday camping in the Lake District. No one could forget the summers of 1991 and 1994, with "Everything I Do, I Do It For You" (Bryan Adams) and "Love Is All Around" (Wet Wet Wet) respectively dominating the charts for months, which lived long in the memory of growing up. It was the early 90's when I started getting into music (although looking back now I love 80's and 90's music equally), and anything Indie / Britpop immediately takes me back to my last few years at secondary school / sixth form.
    Yer I agree with you on all these Big Tim. I will always recall where I was when I heard Don't Look Back In Anger/Sally Can Wait in 1996 - just like it was yesterday.

Put simply Liam and NNoel "could have" been the biggest band ever since the Beatles par for their problems, but yer I sure agree with you on the Brit-Pop era. At the minute I have been listening to a fair bit of Dusty Springfield's late 1980s/early 1990s music and some of Julio Iglesias' Music re; When You Tell Me That You Love Me and with Dolly Parton and other music of Julio's of the era

80sChav

Leave a comment:

• zabadak
    replied

Some more from my stash...

Ain't That Funny - Jimmy Justice
    So Do I - Kenny Ball
    The Tall Texan - Jet Harris & Tony Meehan
    Bad To Me - Billy J. Kramer & The Dakotas
    Heart - Rita Pavone
    Makin' Love - Vince Eager

Leave a comment:

• 80sChav
    replied

Another few honourable mentions must go too to: Jimmy Summerville and The Communards - Don't Leave Me this Way, Tears For Fears - Everybody Wants To Rule The world, Chesney Hawks The One and Only!

80sChav

Leave a comment:

• zabadak
    replied

Early ones in my collection:

Dynamite/Travellin' Light - Cliff Richard
    Baby Sittin' Boogie - Buzz Clifford

Leave a comment:

• marc
    replied

Two songs by The Moody Blues. Your Wildest Dreams, and I Know You're Out There Somewhere.
    Makes me think of my No.1 crush in school, Michelle Williams.
    I wonder if she does remember me now?.....
    Last edited by marc; 05-12-2016, 00:04. Reason: Spelling error

Leave a comment:

• darren
    replied

https://youtu.be/x34icYC8zA0

Leave a comment:

• Big Tim
    replied

The first song that sticks in my head as being able to place myself in a specific time and place would be second year at junior school in 1986 - one classmate was forever singing Status Quo's "In The Army Now" - a song rarely heard on radio nowadays, but I'm guessing it must have been quite big at the time. The likes of Bros and Jive Bunny (not a fan of either) take me back to being 9 or 10, again at Junior School.

After that, the novelty summer record - "Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny Yellow Polka Dot Bikini" (Bombularina & Timmy Mallet) - 1990, takes me back to a summer holiday camping in the Lake District. No one could forget the summers of 1991 and 1994, with "Everything I Do, I Do It For You" (Bryan Adams) and "Love Is All Around" (Wet Wet Wet) respectively dominating the charts for months, which lived long in the memory of growing up. It was the early 90's when I started getting into music (although looking back now I love 80's and 90's music equally), and anything Indie / Britpop immediately takes me back to my last few years at secondary school / sixth form.

Leave a comment:

• SoulGuardian
    replied

Most or all 80's songs do.
    But especially Fleetwood mac, dire straits, roxy music... so on do forth.

Sent from my GT-S5280 using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• darren
    replied

EUROPE THE FINAL COUNTDOWN

https://youtu.be/9jK-NcRmVcw

Leave a comment:

• darren
    replied

THIS ONE FOR SURE.

https://youtu.be/raNGeq3_DtM?list=PL...SdZ1qVDoP7-HHJ

Leave a comment:

• zabadak
    replied

The first record I recall seeing was my older brother's copy of this:

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• darren
    replied

BANANARAMA I WANT YOU BACK.

https://youtu.be/_LmnP7wZUck

Leave a comment:

• darren
    replied

A song i heard one nite when i was up late is that one.

Its always stuck in my mind.

Prob not a well known one but i love it.

Originally posted by richard1978 View Post
    i really like that song, pop up video in vh1 did a fun profile of it.

Leave a comment:

• Richard1978
    replied

Originally posted by darren View Post
    THIS SONG STAY/I MISSED YOU BY LISA LOEB.

https://youtu.be/i9HGwRbMiVY
    I really like that song, Pop Up Video in VH1 did a fun profile of it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X