Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Songs you never had a clue what they were on about, but wish youd known

Originally posted by Etch-a-sketch View Post
    Deuce by Kiss - 'Deuce' was a popular name for oral sex in the 60s and 70s. Dunno if that's what the song was about though.
    Kiss seem to have been less than forthwright about the lyrics too
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deuce_(song)
    The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

A Deuce is also a nickname for a 1932 Ford V8, & have been popular with hot rodders because they were (originally) cheap to buy & could be tuned up easily.

The yellow car in American Graffitti is a good example/

They are mentioned in several songs, including The Beach Boys Little Deuce Coupe, & Bruce Springsteen's Blinded By The Light "revved up like a deuce, another runner in the night".
      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Hfuhruhurr View Post
        Also..China brown???
        What is that? it does not even exist.
        Was a common name for heroin in the 60s. I've heard it used in old docos about drug use many times. Heroin is brown before it's synthasised.

Comment

Originally posted by Herr Grunwald View Post
          I understood it to be out obsession with a former lover, the lyrics seem to reflect this too, not about big brother. It certainly isn't a love song.
          Well, I saw an interview where Sting said it himself...so go figure.

Comment

Originally posted by Etch-a-sketch View Post
            Was a common name for heroin in the 60s. I've heard it used in old docos about drug use many times. Heroin is brown before it's synthasised.
            I have heard of Brown as a slang term and China White, but not China Brown

Comment

I might have been mentioned before but Golden Brown is supposed to be a nickname fore heroin.
              The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Not So Manic Now by Dubstar... I always thought it was a purely innocent Indie tune until I saw the lyrics, which are about a woman being beaten up and raped in her flat by a stranger she answers the door to. It's like the music equivalent of the shower scene in Psycho... I just wonder how I'd have viewed the song if I'd known that all those years ago when it came out!

"I was making myself the usual cup of tea
                When the doorbell strangely rang..."

That whole line seems so disturbing when you find out the true meaning! Knowing the subject matter has actually increased my love of the song, with its upbeat tune it seems on a deeper level to be about an individual's strength in coming to terms with a traumatic incident... definitely a very moving song.

Comment

Lou Reed and the velvet underground is such a beautiful song and the BBc used it for the children in need appeal, but the song is about heoin use as is the straglers golden brown.

Comment

"I won't Let The Sun Go Down on Me" by Nik Kershaw is all about Nuclear War.... and "The Riddle" is about nothing at all!! i love NK, such a brilliant song writer

Comment

I think many of Duran Duran's songs are a teeny weeny bit rude! Hungry Like The Wolf springs to mind

Comment

Itchycoo Park Small Faces

a song about taking a school girl to the park and 'making it' sexually and with drugs

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                          I might have been mentioned before but Golden Brown is supposed to be a nickname fore heroin.
                          Never knew that!

The song i never knew what she was singing about was:
                          Cornflake girl.... Tori Amos,

Comment

According to Alan Partridge, "Sunday, Bloody, Sunday" is about having to wash your car on a Sunday morning!
                            I go back to the original Jethro Tull - Yes! The seed drill inventor!

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy View Post
                              Never knew that!

The song i never knew what she was singing about was:
                              Cornflake girl.... Tori Amos,
                              I am not convinced about Golden Brown, he refers very specifically to a lady in the song

cornflake girl was because she rustled under the covers!

Comment

Lol

Comment

Working...
                                X