X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• George 1978
    replied
    Re: Cover Songs.

I always thought that doing a cover version is sometimes better than doing an original because of the risks that artistes take when singing a hit that no one else has done before. I don't think that a cover version is a rip-off of the original as such - on the contrary - it can be a tribute to the original performer, and it can save on getting songwriters in. One cannot imagine songwriters such as McCartney or Elton John themselves doing cover versions - why should they when they can write new material themselves?

A lot of Shakin' Stevens' hits were cover versions of 1950s songs, and he helped to bring those hits up to date for the 1980s and made them fashionable again - could one imagine teenagers of the 1980s bopping around to Frankie Vaughan or Rosemary Clooney hits at the school disco? I think not. I was listening to a radio programme that played 1950s rock and roll songs about a year or so back and there were at least three songs on there that were original versions of songs that Shaky covered nearly 30 years later.

There can also be cover versions that have a slightly different title to the original - a change of gender meant that a cover version of Madness' My Girl became Tracey Ullman's My Guy, which of course was a different song to Mary Wells' hit.

My motto towards cover versions is "better the devil you know".

Leave a comment:

• Clare
    replied

It's also interesting to discover that songs you thought were originals are actually covers.

Leave a comment:

• zabadak
    replied

Wow, such a big topic! Most acts - Beatles, Sinatra, Sex Pistols, Nirvana, Glenn Miller, Adele, you name them - have done cover versions in their time!

Leave a comment:

• Clare
    replied

Originally posted by Caitlyn View Post
    Yep same here couldn't post Personal Jesus by Jonny Cash and the cover by Depeche mode... Two great songs but very different.
    I believe Johnny Cash's is the cover, and Depeche Mode's the original.

Leave a comment:

• Caitlyn
    replied

Originally posted by Mulletino View Post
    Use me, by Bill Withers. Classic song and great cover by Raw Stylus, love them both for their own merits.

(the one video limit means i couldn't post both as vids)
    Yep same here couldn't post Personal Jesus by Jonny Cash and the cover by Depeche mode... Two great songs but very different.

Leave a comment:

• Mulletino
    replied

Use me, by Bill Withers. Classic song and great cover by Raw Stylus, love them both for their own merits.

(the one video limit means i couldn't post both as vids)

Leave a comment:

• Caitlyn
    started a topic Cover Songs.

Cover Songs.

Love them or loathe them there have been some interesting covers made of classic songs so here we are looking at posting the new version against the old version... Which is best?
Working...
X