replied
    Re: The Days of Pearly Spencer

Amazing song. Love it

Leave a comment:

• Semi42
    replied

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post

Marc Almond's cover didn't try this effect.
    a great song and Almonds cover does use a distortion effect in the chorus but not to the extent of the original, there’s a point where he sings the chorus twice and the second time, the distortion isn’t present.
    You can distinctly hear the change

theres also a David Bowie version but, as much as I like Bowie , I don’t rate it as much as McWilliams or Almonds version

Leave a comment:

• George 1978
    replied

Originally posted by tex View Post
    Sorry George are you thinking of Kites or The days of Pearly spencer?
    The latter.

Leave a comment:

• George 1978
    replied

Thinking about it, I am sure I saw the video for the song, probably on YouTube, where McWilliams goes into a phone box and sings the chorus.

Leave a comment:

• George 1978
    replied

I was around for the latter.

Leave a comment:

• tex
    replied

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
    No, I am saying that the original version sounds too modern to be a 1960s hit - in other words, it sounded ahead of its time.

However, as Richard and HG have both just reminded me, there was that Marc Almond cover version which didn't have that on - I couldn't quite remember who had that version of it.
    Ah, so you were refering to the latter....i was refering to kites

Leave a comment:

• George 1978
    replied

Originally posted by tex View Post
    No, I am saying that the original version sounds too modern to be a 1960s hit - in other words, it sounded ahead of its time.

However, as Richard and HG have both just reminded me, there was that Marc Almond cover version which didn't have that on - I couldn't quite remember who had that version of it.

Leave a comment:

• Richard1978
    replied

The original wasn't a hit partially because the BBC refused to play it due to David McWilliams having connections to Radio Caroline.

Leave a comment:

• HG
    replied

It was covered by Marc Almond in 1991 which is the version I know

Leave a comment:

• tex
    replied

It sounds too modern to be a 1960s hit to be honest.

Leave a comment:

• George 1978
    replied

It sounds too modern to be a 1960s hit to be honest.

Leave a comment:

• tex
    replied

I thought it was from the 1970s, probably 1974 - I tried to look for it on a charts website but couldn't find any information that it had charted in the UK.
    Nah, much earlier...1967

Leave a comment:

• George 1978
    replied

I thought it was from the 1970s, probably 1974 - I tried to look for it on a charts website but couldn't find any information that it had charted in the UK.

Leave a comment:

• tex
    replied

Originally posted by beccabear67 View Post
    Even though it was coming about around the same time I was in 1967 I know the song. For some reason when I think about it I also think about 'Kites' by Simon Dupree (later Gentle Giant). Orchestral psychedilia?

You can see and watch David McWilliams on youtube, classic early 'video' for Pearly Spencer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDa-6P5ze7I

Another classic telephone call themed song is 'Long-Distance Runaround' by Yes.
    Love kites, one of my faves from the 60s ..... In letters of red on a snow white kite i will write i love you and send it soaring high above you for all to see...killer lyrics!

Leave a comment:

• beccabear67
    replied

Even though it was coming about around the same time I was in 1967 I know the song. For some reason when I think about it I also think about 'Kites' by Simon Dupree (later Gentle Giant). Orchestral psychedilia?

You can see and watch David McWilliams on youtube, classic early 'video' for Pearly Spencer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDa-6P5ze7I

Another classic telephone call themed song is 'Long-Distance Runaround' by Yes.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X