Infinite Echoes of Last Christmas!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Infinite Echoes of Last Christmas!

Has anyone else ever experienced a sudden resurgence of a childhood memory triggered by a song? At the age of 10, I was captivated by the enchanting melody of Last Christmas. Surprisingly, this year's Christmas marked the first time I heard it since then, and now it's relentlessly stuck in my mind. I'm curious if others have encountered similar experiences, where a particular song becomes unexpectedly prominent in their thoughts after years of lying dormant. Is it a common phenomenon, or is it just a unique quirk of memory and nostalgia? Share your stories and thoughts. I'm eager to hear if this resonates with anyone else?

It happens quite a bit, and Christmas songs certainly bring back memories (in December) of Christmas parties at school in the hall - Wizzard's song certainly does. It can do when shops play it... as early as October.

I mentioned Pick of the Pops on the late Steve Wright's obituary thread, and it can be true that the charts from around 1981-1985 can bring back memories of places like school, especially when one has not heard the tune for many years. Depeche mode, Tracey Ullman, Howard Jones and Nik Kershaw all take me back to the Infant School classroom circa 1983-1984. When I attended a reunion many years later, I almost got that earworm for those songs when I saw my former classroom again. It's not just those who grew in the 1930s to the 1950s that get the nostalgia bug; more recent generations also get it as well.
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
      It happens quite a bit, and Christmas songs certainly bring back memories (in December) of Christmas parties at school in the hall - Wizzard's song certainly does. It can do when shops play it... as early as October.

I mentioned Pick of the Pops on the late Steve Wright's obituary thread, and it can be true that the charts from around 1981-1985 can bring back memories of places like school, especially when one has not heard the tune for many years. Depeche mode, Tracey Ullman, Howard Jones and Nik Kershaw all take me back to the Infant School classroom circa 1983-1984. When I attended a reunion many years later, I almost got that earworm for those songs when I saw my former classroom again. It's not just those who grew in the 1930s to the 1950s that get the nostalgia bug; more recent generations also get it as well.
      Same here, even as early as 1987 I was nostalgic for 1982!
      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Working...
      X