Text Adventures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Text Adventures

I gave my C64 and Spectrum128k to my niece along with a suitcase full of games, there were hundreds, not all new some from carboot sales and Jumbles, along with freebies from magazines, apparently her mum (my sister) got sick of her leaving them around the house, so she gave them all to the boy next door Wish she'd offered them back to me.
    Heather

Comment

each to his own daz I suppose lol

Comment

have hours of fun with mine,you can still buy them at most retro games shops,if you can manage to find them on the net they are usually dirt cheap .

Comment

I'll tell you what I did hate.. loading the games watching all the coloured lines screeching and moving, only for the game to crash or fail loading when you had to turn the tape over
          Heather

Comment

I prefer the emulators myself for the following reasons:

1. You can play games immediately and don't have to waste time loading them.
            2. You don't need a TV for them when someone else wants to watch something.
            3. You don't have stuff all over the place (leads, tape player, games, etc.)
            4. You don't have to stop the kids from tripping over it or playing with the leads, etc.
            5. Get all the games you want for nothing.

The only consoles I have are the PS1 and N64 which I will hang on to as they are cool, especially the N64. Love Beetle Adventure Racing, coolest racing game ever. Oh, and I also have a PSP.
            "Ah, nostalgia ain't what it used to be..."

Comment

Originally posted by huggie74 View Post
              Nothing beats a good old fashioned joystick, when playing you need something to grab on too (again not text adventures)
              I have a joystick and to configure it needs a degree in science from MIT; so it sits on the floor, gathering dust.

Comment

Yes, Text Adventures. I always found them a bit dull the first time round - most of them seemed to be stories involving wizards, magic spells, caves etc.
                But I've recently got back into them as an antidote to today's modern games that seem to need a £2,000 PC to play them fully.

I would recommend Lurking Horror by Infocom to anyone who fancies a fun, sometimes scary text adventure. Just do a search on Wikipedia and this will throw up lots of links.

Enjoy this best on an 8 bit micro emulator like Applewin 1.13
                Alternatively, many websites let you play online such as - www.xs4all.nl/~pot/infocom/lurking.html

And here is the manual for the game itself -
                infodoc.plover.net/manuals/temp/lurking.pdf

Enjoy!

Comment

I've still got my original Lurking Horror (as well as quite a few other Infocom titles) for the Amiga. Complete with campus password card and the little rubbery 'horror'. First Infocom game with sound if I remember rightly.

If you like that sort of game a decent current equivalent (other than modern text adventures) is something like Hotel Dusk on the Nintendo DS.

Comment

Hmmmm. Hotel Dusk looks realy good. Cheers.

Comment

First game I ever played on a computer (Commodore 16) was Pirate Adventure. I was so pleased when I completed it!

Much much much later on I wrote a few not-too-great adventures using Graphic Adventure Creator - I still have them. A two part adventure of mine was snapped up by Zzap! magazine and went on their front cover tape. For about 5 minutes I was the coolest person in my town. Ah, great days!

Edit: Nearly forgot to annoy you all with the fact that we still own 2 Commodore 64's - one original version and one newer version - both still boxed and working! I also have an Amiga 1200 on this internet connection running a BBS (AmiExpress). It's like a time machine to anyone that dialled up those BBS's in the 90's.
                      Last edited by Chaeo; 26-02-2008, 07:59.

Comment

Infocom's Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy is available online - I think they have it somewhere on the BBC site.

I tried it out, having yearned for the game back in the 80s when it came out on 3 inch disk for the Amstrad - unfortunately it only ran if you had 128 kb, and I had a 464, with 64kb and a tape deck. Boooo!

However, I couldn't get on with it. As with any text adventure, it was incredibly pedantic about what you could do. Should have known. Return to Eden from Level 9 was the same. After so many turns, the spaceship that you had escaped from (in a previous game), turned its engines on you so you burned. The trick was to find the soft mound of earth, dig, then make your way to a part of the cave you found and just keep sleeping until the ship went away. Oh yes, very intuitive. 'Want to order a cheat sheet?' Grrr.

Comment

Boooooooooo Derek, you have spoilt it now, I shall have to go back to Far Cry 2 now!!

Comment

I remember playing Classic Adventure with my brother & my Dad on our Acorn Electron. Some parts were really tricky, especially the maze of tunnels which was very easy to get totally lost in.

My Dad drew out a map to plot out all the locations, which helped to a degree. I don't think we ever got to the end though.

At school I played Rick Hanson, & never managed to finish it, mainly because it was really easy to be killed off.

There was also an Adventure game set in Australia which had some game like sections. It was nearly impossible to play without a handbook, but I managed to complete it once, the final task of guiding a rescue helicopter was really tricky.
                            The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by Elbmek View Post
                              Boooooooooo Derek, you have spoilt it now, I shall have to go back to Far Cry 2 now!!
                              I have to be serious here; what are you playing that on? If it's a 360 you could be in for a nasty surprise. I traded my copy after I experienced the bug that corrupts the game save. The official line is to make multiple saves so if it comes up, you try another. Since this would have meant a restart for me after thirty hours, I just got rid of it.

Comment

thanks for the tip Derek...jusy bought my son Far Cry2 for the 360....will tell him your tip!

(if he can get me off it...I love Fallout 3 )
                                sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

Working...
                                X