Iconic kids bikes from the 1990s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Iconic kids bikes from the 1990s

Hi, have just dug this out of my garage, has been stored for 20 plus years rarely used, understood it was BMX, based on a racer bike used in a world competition, it was too fast for my daughter !

Comment

Always wanted a Raleigh Vektar as a kid - anyone remember these? (BMX with computer fixed to the crossbar)

Never got one. I had a second hand Raleigh Chopper which someone had snapped the gear lever off.

Comment

The Raleigh Vektar was the steed of overprivileged or spoilt kids of the late 1980s bought by parents who had more money than sense. They were a show-off bike and totally unsuitable for use as a BMX because the plastic covers were too heavy and fragile. The kids who owned them tended to treat them as ornaments or just use them for gentle half a mile rides through suburbia to their friend's house or the local shops.

When did production of the Vektar finish? I can't recall any local kids who owned one back in the 1990s although a classmate owned a Raleigh Street Wolf that was handed down from his older brother.

Comment

I wanted a Vektar but knew my parents wouldn't get me one.

I'm not sure there were still around in 1987 when I got a Raleigh Styler Mag.
          The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

although i didn't have a interest in bikes in the 90's, i think this will be one of the iconic bikes from then.

http://bmx.transworld.net/features/k...675+b6dc0a66d1

Comment

Very unusual indeed.

Thought it a bit motorbike like when i first saw this.
              By the way what price was it one of these.

Im sure you could still find one if you check ebay or ask bike enthusiasts.

Originally posted by nik_barbour View Post
              always wanted a raleigh vektar as a kid - anyone remember these? (bmx with computer fixed to the crossbar)

never got one. I had a second hand raleigh chopper which someone had snapped the gear lever off.

FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                Very unusual indeed.

Thought it a bit motorbike like when i first saw this.
                By the way what price was it one of these.

Im sure you could still find one if you check ebay or ask bike enthusiasts.
                £300ish for the fully loaded version in 1985 (I was about 10 - which was why it appealed).

A little later in '89 I ended up with a weekend job, saved like hell and bought myself an '88 Muddy Fox Courier MB, the one with the purple white fade frame paint.
                Nice bike - only had it a week and someone nicked the seat post - thanks to it's quick release bolt. 2wks later someone broke into my dad's locked garage and nicked the rest of the bike. It was never meant to be, me and that bike.
                Luckily it was insured, I ended up with a cheap second hand Raleigh MB and a VHS player instead.

Comment

The Vektar was an expensive oddity that only Raleigh had the courage to produce. Unlike a BMX it had 3 speed Sturmey Archer gears and the radio was AM only! Perhaps Raleigh assumed that most kids who wanted a Vektar liked Radio 4. The less expensive Wildcat was more popular and I saw a few kids riding them in the 1990s.

I am wondering if many Vektars were scrapped because the electronics on them failed.

Comment

I was also wondering how well the electronic coped with years of being ridden in rain.

I've never seen many, if any for sale 2nd hand so maybe owners are keeping hold of them.
                    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                      I was also wondering how well the electronic coped with years of being ridden in rain.

I've never seen many, if any for sale 2nd hand so maybe owners are keeping hold of them.
                      Apparently during development, Raleigh extensively tested the electronics with freezing, defrosting and even simulated tropical rain exposure. Making big claim of the ruggedness and general toughness of electronics & plastics.

After a quick Google... a lot of reports of water ingress in the electronics. So total manufacturer BS really.

Comment

Originally posted by Nik_Barbour View Post
                        After a quick Google... a lot of reports of water ingress in the electronics. So total manufacturer BS really.
                        The story goes that Raleigh dealers ran out of replacement electronic parts only a year or so after the production of the Vektar ended because they often failed and were damaged by water ingress. Vektars then ended up being taken to electrical appliance repair centres if the electronic parts failed and replacements were unavailable.

Any ideas how much a Vektar in good condition would sell for secondhand in the early 1990s? A colleague I used to work with owned a Wildcat. His parents advertised it for sale three times in 1994 then offered it for free but nobody was interested so they ended up dumping it down the tip as they came to the conclusion that kids all wanted mountain bikes and nobody wanted a BMX covered in plastic anymore.

Comment

Raleigh Activator with 20 inch wheels. The first mass-market kids mountain bike with suspension. Came out in 1993.

Attached Files

Comment

The last Raleigh bike I owned was an Outland in 1993. It had the same frame as the Activator but with rigid forks as well as those bull-horn handlebars. It was a bike I never bonded with and I replaced it with a GT Palomar which was a cracking bike(likewise my Apollo Avalanche which I outgrew).

I remember the Raleigh Wildcat, which I thought looked cool. There was a well-off family at the end of our street. They always seemed to have the latest and best in everything and the oldest son of the family(let's call him David), was a horrid, spoilt, arrogant little turd. He had the Raleigh Vector and he would constantly be showing it off. One summer afternoon, a local bully-type nicked David's Vectar from the play area near our houses and kicked all the plastic and electronic stuff off the bike. He then picked up the bike and threw it down and twisted the front forks. David ended up pushing the ruined bike home, crying his head off all the way.

Of course, the next day, David came riding into the play area on a brand-new Mongoose BMX which his Daddy went out to buy him that very morning.

Comment

I still have a 1996 GT Performer, which I bought in 1999. Same as this but I have the GT stubby seat on it, would love some black Skyway Tuiff IIs though.

Comment

Apollo Street Gladiator

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X