X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• W1 Rover
    replied
    Originally posted by Semi42 View Post
    A 70s room would be so cool. No entry unless you dress in the correct attire.
    more for the list?..
    on the wall
    chalkware heads
    horse brasses

next to the chair, a wire magazine rack

in the hall, a telephone table / seat combo
    Superb!
    The question of attire could be interesting.
    I'd need to source a couple of authentic 70's long syrups to compensate for my lack of hair, one on and one in the wash.
    Anybody else brings their own

Leave a comment:

• Semi42
    replied
    A 70s room would be so cool. No entry unless you dress in the correct attire.
    more for the list?..
    on the wall
    chalkware heads
    horse brasses

next to the chair, a wire magazine rack

in the hall, a telephone table / seat combo

Leave a comment:

• W1 Rover
    replied
    Faux glass fishing floats hanging on the wall
    Ravenshead glass on the coffee table
    Those badly cast brass effect flintlock pistols...also hanging on the wall
    mfp records proudly displayed in the K-tel record selector
    A couple of Pan books of horror stories (lurid covers) lying around

Love it...If I had the time and money I'd have a dedicated 70's room.
    Having a spare room would also be a bonus.

Leave a comment:

• Semi42
    replied
    Not just furnishings but I also recall all the awful ornaments that were common back in the 70s
    porcelain shire horse with a dray cart
    glass clowns
    glass fish
    benidorm / Spanish Donkey
    old man and woman figurines

Leave a comment:

• amethyst
    replied
    My Aunt was a chapel caretaker,I remember the kitchen where was my aunt & Uncle spent most of their time.Had a coal fire there was a wooden chair to the side of the fire,an old couch in front of the fire.the kitchen table on the same side of the fire,with another wooden chair where my uncle sat.The TV was close to the window the door to the living room was always left wide open.the gas stove was next to the sink,then there was a small pantry.It was all cramped but cosy spent many an evening in front of the cosy fire watching B &W TV.

Leave a comment:

• Bastyan
    replied
    Wow, you guys have great memoriesies! I think I just remember my father have a lot of old video games..

Leave a comment:

• NervHQ
    replied
    Yeah, I think most of us did not have a well-organized living room as kids. It's a recent trend to have everything bought together and look coherent. I'm not against new trends though, when it comes to unique ideas for home design as I have used a lot of ideas found online to decorate my newly built house. It's always great to see how many optimizations you can implement and add comfort to your house. There is nothing better than having a cozy place that you always look forward to coming back to.
    Last edited by NervHQ; 05-05-2021, 01:37.

Leave a comment:

• Arran
    replied
    Not many people know this. It was quite hard to buy individual pieces of furniture back in the 1930s. Manufacturers and retailers strongly preferred to sell an entire suite of furniture for a room because there was more profit than selling individual pieces.

In 1953, G Plan started to manufacture a range of furniture which could be bought one piece at a time according to customer's requirements. This initiated a movement in the industry towards selling individual pieces of furniture.

Leave a comment:

• Semi42
    replied
    Re: Oddments in the living room

We did get a new 3 piece suite one time and my dad insisted we kept the pouffe even though it never matched anything in the house ever

Leave a comment:

• amethyst
    replied

Thick velvet curtains to keep the winter draughts out,draught excluders behind doors,or door stoppers

Leave a comment:

• Calculator_Watch_Dude
    replied

My aunt and uncle had their formal living room sofas covered in protective clear plastic zipper covers for at least the entire decades of the 80s and 90s. I remember visiting on Sundays, Christmas, Easter whenever and never, ever seeing anyone ever actually sit on that fabric. Not sure if it was to preserve resale value or in case the pope ever came over to visit them they would have pristine new sofas for him to sit on.

Leave a comment:

• Richard1978
    replied

I remember my Aunt & Uncle weren't so well off, and when my Grandad retired and downsized they took on a lot of his furniture. They still had some items from the 1950s-60s into the 1990s.

Leave a comment:

• Mulletino
    replied

I remember our furniture being made up of a few different elements when I was a young kid, we had these horrible itchy black fabric chairs and a radiogramme. Then i remember my parents doing up the house, with an extension built, although for a while we had a concrete floor with a tiny rug on, then they replaced the radiogramme with a G Plan wall unit with an inbuilt "bar" and smoked glass doors for the glasses/knickknacks and a real stereo system with touch buttons. They also replaced the furniture with a lovely comfy beige suede one with wooden ends with some form of cane meshing in the middle, we had coasters that matched these and a corner table with a big luxurious lamp, the one with the pumpkin style base and tall slender shade. This was my favourite era of our lounge, so many happy memories of it like this.

Leave a comment:

• amethyst
    replied

Back in them days families from poor backgrounds did have to make do with what they had,not like the must haves from today.In my house growing up I remember the 1940s 50s dining furniture it was horrible dark colour wood but were well built and heavy meant to last,the polished dining table & chairs my dad had a radio gram
    Everything was so old fashioned,even the TV was a wooden box lol

Leave a comment:

• Richard1978
    replied

My lounge is a bit like this as I was given some spare furniture when I moved in & have mostly kept it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X