X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paulos
    replied
    Re: Bank Account Freebies

Got my Midland Griffin Saver dictionary right beside me here in my desk!

Leave a comment:

• Star Attraction
    replied

When I opened a savings account at the National and Provincial mid 1980s (I was around 13 at the time) I was given a free ballpoint pen and 6 inch ruler. Modest compared to the pigs you got with the NatWest Piggy Account, but still better than nothing.

I saw a report on TV mid 1980s comparing savings accounts at banks and building societies, especially ones aimed at kids which gave away free gifts, e.g. piggy banks with NatWest Piggy Account. They reckoned you should think more about the interest rate though, and said the Post Office gives the best interest rate, without any free goodies.

Leave a comment:

• suzannewozere2
    replied

Trustee's saving bank bird money boxes called Tizzies I think.
    They wore footie shirts. I have a picture but it won't post for some reason, the others have been working

Leave a comment:

• suzannewozere2
    replied

The Nat West pigs need wade on their stoppers and rare pieces like Sir Nathaniel and Cousin Wesley to make top money.

My aunt had the globe bank for all her new copper coins which she saved for us.

Did you have a "Schools bank account"?

Leave a comment:

• Manny
    replied

I just found this topic via Google.

I just bought two of the Natwest globes from eBay (nostalgia y'know), and I am struggling finding spare keys for them. They look like this:

Incidentally, the "odd plastic pig" that JustKim refers to above may have been a Midland Bank red elephant? I acquired one of those without a key also, which is the same key actually.

They were all made my MK Tresmer OY in Finland.

If anyone happens to have one of those keys as pictured above, you can e-mail me through my profile.

Isn't it funny where Google brings you?

Leave a comment:

• Elbmek
    replied

Barclays give out free pens marked "I was stolen from Barclays"; "It's a pen-alty" and "I'm free, now there's a thought" amongst others.

Leave a comment:

• Lisey
    replied

My most memorable Lloyds freebie was a money box that sorted coins into graded slots with marks up the front to show how much you had in each type of coin. Very useful but with a limited lifespan at the time - it survived the new 10p because they were the same size as the old 5s, but the new 5p was more of a problem.

Leave a comment:

• justkim
    replied

I remember that globe bank, didnt have one of those but did have a very odd looking red plastic pig, cant remember which bank it was that gave them out... they came in bright blue too if i recall?

Leave a comment:

• Heather74
    replied

Originally posted by Tilly Jane View Post
    i remember having a globe money box free, not sure if it was from TSB or NATWEST, TSB i think, anyone else have one?

Leave a comment:

• Danny
    replied

1960's and I think it was TSB you got a clear plastic Sputnik about size of a football , this was self-assembly ( snap together ) at home but the central core was a gunmetal colour thing like a bean tin.

You dropped your coins in to save up and they zig-zagged through the perspex bits and into a slot - once this can was too full to take any anymore you dismantled your Sputnik and took the core to the bank.

They held the key with a registered serial number on your piggy bank and would open it at the counter for you , count your savings and record it in your account book.

Of course I reallly needed money one Summer hol ( day trip to Morecambe)and smashed the lid off with Dads tools and then soon after I drew out what was left in my passbook

Leave a comment:

• Bozebo
    replied

We used to have a Midland Bank in the village and I can remember asking to open an account and they refused! They said they knew I was only applying for an account because of the freebies - how dare they.....

Okay, you got me, they were right!

Went to Barclays instead and got that blue fold out folder which I used at school.

Leave a comment:

• Shania Twain
    replied

Them Bank Account Freebies often are things like **** £5 CD players, big deal

Leave a comment:

• Tilly Jane
    replied

i remember having a globe money box free, not sure if it was from TSB or NATWEST, TSB i think, anyone else have one?

Leave a comment:

• sixtyten
    replied

Leave a comment:

• sixtyten
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X