• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 80sChav
    replied
    Re: Bank Account Freebies

Great thread indeed ... I can't believe that I missed it before

I can recall Freebies being given, but what exactly I'm unsure - though a lot of bank's had incentives that "doubled up" as Free-bies I recall too

80sChav

Leave a comment:

• marc
    replied

My mother had an account with Lloyds back in the 1970s. One of the cashiers there lived a couple of doors away from us. One particular day, she gave us a free money box in the shape of a horse head. It was shiny black plastic. Anybody remember those?

Leave a comment:

• Elbmek
    replied

Steve has answered what I was about to say. I had the blue one.

Leave a comment:

• steve242526
    replied

Originally posted by Tilly Jane View Post
    i remember having a globe money box free, not sure if it was from TSB or NATWEST, TSB i think, anyone else have one?
    Old thread I know. I had one of these which was from Trustees Savings Bank and it was red but I've googled these and also found Natwest did a blue one.

Leave a comment:

• Llamarama
    replied

I remember getting an HSBC account just for the little red safe moneybox they had out at the time. That came to be the place where 1p and 2p coins came to die. I ended up having to re-use that account later in life, but got locked out because instead of providing a proper signature, the signature I signed with was an illegible scribble, mind you, I was only 7ish.

Leave a comment:

• Trickyvee
    replied

I joined the TSB and I'm sure they had something called the jeans club i.e. as in denim. Not sure why they would have called it this. I can't remember anything else so the freebies must have been poor if there were any.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

I had the Griffin Saver account. Used to use the stuff for school. I also had a Natwest pig, my sister and I only had the baby piglets. Had a Lloyds account too. The one with the close up plastic folder for my statements. Also still have the little xtra Halifax money bank house. My late Mum had one or two of those Natwest globe money banks they did with the odd y shaped key to open it to remove pennies etc from the base.

Leave a comment:

• shilton dipper
    replied

Originally posted by jason h View Post
    In the early - mid 80s there was a spate of ads encouraging kids to open new bank accounts using enticements like piggy-banks and sport bags.
    I joined Barclay's Bank some time during Middle School and I got a blue folder to keep my bank statements in. I used this at school because it had a place to fit a lined A4 text pad and lots of places to put my pens. I think Midland Bank was also popular at the time.
    I must have joined the wrong bank

Leave a comment:

• Paulos
    replied

Originally posted by Paulos View Post
    Got my Midland Griffin Saver dictionary right beside me here in my desk!
    Who else had a Griffin Saver ac?

Click image for larger version

Name:	midland_griffin.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	260017

Still using my Griffin Saver dictionary now!

Leave a comment:

• Fatboy
    replied

I can remember getting a slimline calculator for opening a Clydesdale 'Easycash' account.

Leave a comment:

• scotchmist
    replied

I worked for the Bank of Scotland in the mid-80's before they forced me to resign! I can remember around 1988 they were actually giving away a high quality back-pack to school kids opening up Super-Saver accounts. The offer didn't last very long as demand was so high the tight gits shelved the idea. Must be collector's items now as I can imagine very few survived.

Leave a comment:

• FLYING SAUCER
    replied

My Mum opened an account for me in about 1973 - it was with TSB - I was given a yellow circular "SMILEY" and it had a key very much the same as the one pictured earlier!

I still have it (somewhere!) Cant promise to send a photo as it must be buried in a drawer!

Leave a comment:

• smurfie1
    replied

We had one of the Lloyds coin sorters in our house, think it was my Mum's. When I was in junior school we had a school bank where someone from Barclays came every week and you could pay money in. Two pupils from the last year got to help as cashiers. I opened an account and got the blue folder. The thing I always wanted was the yellow lion thing, was that the midland griffin or was it Natwest?

Leave a comment:

• Richard1978
    replied

My brother had the Midland Griffin set, he still has the dictonary, & might have the A4 binder.

We (Me & my brother & sister) all had Britannia plastic pigs that opened with one of those MK Keys, when I last took my pig in to empty they gave me a key for it as they had stopped ginv them out. I still collect up loose change in mine I empty it out every year or so.

My cousins have still got almost the full set of Nat West pigs, they are missing the cousin pig that was a limited edition.

Leave a comment:

• Elbmek
    replied

Its say Who ho! And Wizard Prang!!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X