X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tiny piano type thing

Date: Around '88-'90
    Reminds me of: Rolf Harris Stylophone
    Description: Small, pocket-sized electronic thing with a line of buttons like those on a calculator. Each button plays a different note. Sound not unlike the tunes heard in musical greetings cards. Cheaply made pocket money tat.

Can anybody remember these or if they had a name? They were a fad at my school one year.
    1976 Vintage

Re: tiny piano type thing

I remember these. I had a pencil case that had one built into the lid and it had those rubber buttons laid out like a piano keyboard. Yes it was cheap and when the batteries ran down, it would go out of tune quickly.

Comment

Plus, a few other kids in my class had them and it drove our teacher nuts! They were banned from school eventually

Comment

The teachers were obviously music lovers

Comment

Originally posted by Powdered toast man View Post
          I remember these. I had a pencil case that had one built into the lid and it had those rubber buttons laid out like a piano keyboard. Yes it was cheap and when the batteries ran down, it would go out of tune quickly.
          Yes the notes went all wobbly when the batteries were on their way out, which was after about a week. They were very annoying.
          1976 Vintage

Comment

I had one & had similar battery problems.

It might still be somewhere at my parents house but I've got the feeling it was chucked out at one time.
            The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I had something similar attached to a keyring.
              Heather

Comment

Probably not the same thing, but this is about a musical calculator.

http://blog.boyet.com/blog/blog/a-mu...r-casio-ml-81/

Comment

I've found a few possibilities here, worth a look http://www.cobolpongide.org/instruments.htm

the casio ML-71,casio VL-10 and the Weddingthon Compute-a-Tune look promising among a few others.
                  Heather

Comment

Originally posted by huggie74 View Post
                    I've found a few possibilities here, worth a look http://www.cobolpongide.org/instruments.htm

the casio ML-71,casio VL-10 and the Weddingthon Compute-a-Tune look promising among a few others.
                    Just had a quick look and these are similar but too high brow compared to the sort of thing I had. They didn't have a brand name and were definitely 'made in China from down the market' quality, and were similar in size to the musical calculator, if not smaller. IIRC they might have come in a little pouch that flipped open.
                    1976 Vintage

Comment

I had something like what you are talking about, mine was pink. It was when you mentioned the pouch triggered my memory. No idea what they were called though.

Comment

we used to get things like this in the cheapo toy/pocket money selections at places like zodiac
                        something similar is on this link
                        http://pinterest.com/pin/60235713736042924/

Comment

Originally posted by n3llyo View Post
                          we used to get things like this in the cheapo toy/pocket money selections at places like zodiac
                          I had EXACTLY the same mini piano as this, except mine was blue. Even had that songbook with the animals on the cover! I wish I still had it, but I can try to re-create the sound of it using my Akai synthesizer.

Comment

Originally posted by Powdered toast man View Post
                            I had EXACTLY the same mini piano as this, except mine was blue. Even had that songbook with the animals on the cover! I wish I still had it, but I can try to re-create the sound of it using my Akai synthesizer.
                            Mine was a yellow version of that with the same picture.
                            The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by n3llyo View Post
                              Nice find n3llyo! I'm pretty sure this is the one I had too. Don't remember having a song book with it but it looks the same. Mine was yellow.
                              1976 Vintage

Comment

Working...
                              X