Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Liquid motion timers/toys

This thread always makes me think of these

I use to love these had quite a few over the years in a few different styles, mainly this type (slightly more elaborate)

and the ones a bit like the sand art pictures you tip upside down.

Sculpher: Is this the way your tombstone toy worked? (the blood)
    Heather

Comment

Re: Liquid motion timers/toys

These were very popular in the 80's. Although I never owned one, I could never resist turning them over in toy shops.
      1976 Vintage

Comment

I also loved the sand picture but unfortunately the air bubbles always grew and after a year or two they became unusable. I still have my bleeding tombstone somewhere. Mine has skull and crossbones design with the blood leaking from eyes, nostrils, and mouth. You reversed it in exactly the same manner as the liquid timers.

Comment

Originally posted by Brer Bunny View Post
          I also loved the sand picture but unfortunately the air bubbles always grew and after a year or two they became unusable. I still have my bleeding tombstone somewhere. Mine has skull and crossbones design with the blood leaking from eyes, nostrils, and mouth. You reversed it in exactly the same manner as the liquid timers.
          Wow If you could get a picture on board we'd really appreciate it Brer.
          Heather

Comment

Okay, give me some time to find it though, as my house is a little cluttered with old junk!

Comment

I remember someone having one with red & blue liquids that would act as a 5 minute timer. I shook it up a few times but they always seperated.
              The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by Brer Bunny View Post
                Please post pictures! I believe my search for these is the oldest ongoing thread on the board!
                Their light of pocket torch, of signal flare,
                Licks at the edge of unsuspected places,
                While others scan, under an arc-lamp's glare,
                Nursery, kitchen sink, or their own faces.
                -Kingsley Amis

Comment

Re: Tombstone / Gravestone toy

We have a ray of hope in Brer Bunny. Waiting with baited breath for pictures...
                  -Kingsley Amis

Comment

I can't find it! It might be at my Mum's. As soon as I track it down, I'll take a photo and post it. It was white, rectangular, about 6 inches tall by 3 wide by 1 thick. The panel behind the glass was black with a yellowish skull and crossbones repeated twice in mirror image so it looked the same when you flipped it. It also had a date on the top and bottom which read the same when flipped.
                    I really want to find it now, as it was a toy I loved as a child!

Comment

Thanks Brer.. we really appreciate your efforts and wait in anticipation and with bated breath of your finding it!

Fingers crossed

and toes
                      Heather

Comment

My Mum has found it! I'll see if I can get her to take a picture of it or send it to me. It may take a while, but soon you'll all get to see one, although I can't guarantee whether it still bleeds after all this time!

Comment

Great news
                          Heather

Comment

Sorry - been offline for the weekend what with my mother flying in from Blighty... Anyhow...

Thanks Brer Bunny for all your efforts - can't wait for photos! Can you remember who made it and what the toy name was? It's really bugging me!! I SOOOOOO want one!!!!
                            -Kingsley Amis

Comment

Sorry this is taking a long while... I need to get in touch with my Mum again to find out those details. I think it will be quicker if she posts it to me, because she's not good with computers & technology. I don't know if I want to risk it though seeing how rare they seem to be!

Comment

The suspense is killing me! You don't remember the manufacturer or name of the toy do you?
                                -Kingsley Amis

Comment

Working...
                                X