This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Argos Catalogue 1976

Mine was a copy taken from Daz's Disc, great quality you really would never know!
    Heather

Comment

Not an iPod in sight ! Any game made by Ideal was a must in the 70s/80s.
      Reminds me of the Green Shield Stamps catalogues ( were they to be had in the UK ?).

Comment

whether its PDF or the real catalogue, dont you just wish you could jump right into those pictures and grab those fab retro toys!!
        I had that magnetic green board with the stick on alphabet letters, that was the first ever toy I remember having...

OMG Play Doh Fun Factory was ACE, I managed to source one in the 90's, sent me right back to being a kid again.
        Then there was Barber shop too in the late 70's and this made be squeal with excitement as the wiggly worms came out the blokes head!
        Playdoh smells different now, no longer has that vanilla type scent that made you want to eat it. And I did have a nibble once too, it tasted gross as you would expect!

Play DOH Barber Shop - WICKED HAIRSTYLES!
        "Man who catch fly with chopsticks accomplish anything"

Comment

Originally posted by bun View Post
          whether its PDF or the real catalogue, dont you just wish you could jump right into those pictures and grab those fab retro toys!!
          I had that magnetic green board with the stick on alphabet letters, that was the first ever toy I remember having...

OMG Play Doh Fun Factory was ACE, I managed to source one in the 90's, sent me right back to being a kid again.
          Then there was Barber shop too in the late 70's and this made be squeal with excitement as the wiggly worms came out the blokes head!
          Playdoh smells different now, no longer has that vanilla type scent that made you want to eat it. And I did have a nibble once too, it tasted gross as you would expect!

Play DOH Barber Shop - WICKED HAIRSTYLES!
          My family had a few Play Doh sets over the years, me & my brother had a Fun Factory & suplimented with some of my Mum's old pastry cutters.

Later I had a Monster Shop, like the barbers but with a horror theme.

My Sister had a set which could mould the doh into burgers.

When the original doh dried out my Mum made us some for us, not sure how though.
          The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by Aidanagain View Post
            Not an iPod in sight ! Any game made by Ideal was a must in the 70s/80s.
            Reminds me of the Green Shield Stamps catalogues ( were they to be had in the UK ?).
            We had Green Shield stamps in the UK. My parents didn't collect the stamps, but they did smoke a lot of cigarettes, primarily Kensitas, and would collect the rewards cards you got from each pack. Each year you had a catalogue of 'prizes' you could pick from if you saved enough points. Once we went to an Argos-style Kensitas "store" just off Old Street in the City of London with bags of these points cards. Can't remember what we purchased from there, but it's funny to look back on a time where you could get things like toasters for smoking. Bottom right card is the one we had a ton of when I was a kid...

Official archivist: , July 24 2010 Guardian Technology.

Comment

I remember going to the 'Green Shield stamp shop with my mum to redeem her books (I always got to lick & stick the sheets of stamps in 'em!)....., early 70's I guess....in Waterdale, Doncaster
              sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

Originally posted by rossobantam View Post
                I remember going to the 'Green Shield stamp shop with my mum to redeem her books (I always got to lick & stick the sheets of stamps in 'em!)....., early 70's I guess....in Waterdale, Doncaster
                I think Im right in saying that Argos grew out of Green Shield Stamps.

Yep! Wiki backs me up:
                Green Shield Stamp catalogue shops were rebranded Argos in July 1973. The company suspended sale of stamps in 1983, then had a short revival in 1987 involving 2,500 shops, finally ceasing in 1991.
                I go back to the original Jethro Tull - Yes! The seed drill inventor!

Comment

Re: Argos catalogue 1984

Thank you so much for them! I can't believe how many of those toys I had! The merry go round thing with the animals in planes is still in my parents loft

Comment

Those bikes are vintage, love them.

Comment

Being a 1976 catalogue, I suspect everything in it is Vintage

Comment

Flyer BMX on page 247!

I got this for Christmas in 1984/5 (forget which year exactly!). I wanted a computer, but my parents could not afford one that year. Unlike spoiled kids today, I was euphoric with Flyer BMX when I opened it. My parents gave it to me last, when I thought I'd had all my presents; so I was over the moon, and way past Pluto. I played it for ages that day, with my head under a blanket to really enjoy the LCD screen. My friend got a Pac-Man rip off game for Christmas, and we spent most of Boxing Day afternoon under sheets playing them whilst my parents watched the afternoon film, and kept telling us to turn the machines off.

Thinking back; buying my new PC or PS3; none if feels as impressive or significant as Flyer BMX, my first Spectrum or Amiga...

*SOB*
                        The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.
                        Marcel Proust

Comment

Lol. Everyone I know had one of those bears... and the big yellow teapot. They were ace!

Comment

Our Argos shop started in 1973 .I did not realise they rebranded from Green Shield Stamps.I remember the old green shield stamp shop 7 miles away.Remember the green sheild arcade machines on the coast?

In 1976 top gifts were:
                            Philips Colour TV - 375 books
                            Lec Chest Freezer - 140 books
                            Creda Starlight cooker - 115 books
                            Hotpoint Automatic washing machine - 185 books
                            Car - any British make or model - ask for a quotation
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by memoman; 06-11-2009, 19:53. Reason: error
                            sigpic

Comment

Re: Old Catalogue toy pages

Oh look!! Super Flight Deck with the yellow Phantom!! Hours of bliss, wish I still had it!

Comment

Re: Old Catalogue toy pages

Wow! I'd forgotten the Frog Chorus, and Major Morgan. I just remembered I had a plush My Little Pony too. It's amazing how one memory sets off more Someone needs to hurry up and invent a time machine, I'm due back in the 80s!

Comment

Working...
                                X