Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My favourite toy gun

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Re: My favourite toy gun

    I had a Walthar PPK. I don't know if it was marketed as James Bond related but I think it took a roll of caps.

    Thinking of caps...do they even sell those anymore?

    Comment


    • #17
      Re: My favourite toy gun

      Originally posted by staffslad View Post
      I had a Walthar PPK. I don't know if it was marketed as James Bond related but I think it took a roll of caps.

      Thinking of caps...do they even sell those anymore?
      They sell those things wrapped in paper that can be thrown or dropped -they sound really quite loud as well !


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

      Comment


      • #18
        Re: My favourite toy gun

        My dad had a real PPK (I think it was) as he was "employed" by HM Govt. after the war...
        Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

        Comment


        • #19
          Re: My favourite toy gun

          Originally posted by Zincubus View Post
          They sell those things wrapped in paper that can be thrown or dropped -they sound really quite loud as well !


          Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro



          I think I have seen those at some time. I do recall those plastic, bomb shaped things with metal noses that you put a cap in and dropped onto a hard surface to make a bang.

          Comment


          • #20
            Re: My favourite toy gun

            Originally posted by zabadak View Post
            My dad had a real PPK (I think it was) as he was "employed" by HM Govt. after the war...


            lol Mine was just a toy, but thinking about it, I am more sure that it was actually Bond-related and had "James Bond 007" or similar on the handle.

            There also used to be plastic rings with maybe 6 or 8 caps spread around the ring that fitted into some toy guns. I had a cowboy rifle and a snub-nosed revolver that took them. They were louder than cap rolls but much more expensive and after 6 or so shots you had to change to a fresh ring--which I think were red in colour.

            Comment


            • #21
              Re: My favourite toy gun

              Originally posted by staffslad View Post
              I had a Walthar PPK. I don't know if it was marketed as James Bond related but I think it took a roll of caps.

              Thinking of caps...do they even sell those anymore?
              I went through hundreds of these as a kid. They came on a wound tape, like a tape measure for sewing (which is another 'toy' we played with as kids) in a small round paper packet. The tape was light green iirc and the black dots were the caps. You then 'loaded' this reel into your gun and it unwound as you fired the caps.

              You could also make the caps go off if you scratched them with a stone or something metallic.

              Oh, the H & S brigade would have nightmares if you could still buy these !

              Comment


              • #22
                Re: My favourite toy gun

                Originally posted by Pussywillow View Post
                I went through hundreds of these as a kid. They came on a wound tape, like a tape measure for sewing (which is another 'toy' we played with as kids) in a small round paper packet. The tape was light green iirc and the black dots were the caps. You then 'loaded' this reel into your gun and it unwound as you fired the caps.

                You could also make the caps go off if you scratched them with a stone or something metallic.

                Oh, the H & S brigade would have nightmares if you could still buy these !


                They used to be sold at nearly every newsagent or corner store. They were cheap and you got lots of bangs for your money, unlike those plastic rings, which were louder but far more expensive.

                When I was young the sound of cap guns going off and kids playing cops and robbers, army, cowboys and indians etc was so common. I don't think I have heard a cap gun for at least a decade, probably much longer. Actually, kids seem to not play outside much now; no doubt too busy playing on games consoles and smart phones.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Mine would have to be my Winfield (Woolie's) black die cast metal Remington pistol. It had the old style octaganonal barrel and took a roll of those blue caps that used to produce pleasant smelling smoke when they went pop. I don't think I'd want to carry any thing that remoteley resembles a firearm in public in this day and age. Times have changed!

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X