Clinging onto your childhood toys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Clinging onto your childhood toys

ive went out and boughtt toys from my childhood well more thins such as computer consoles really but some toys too.
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I bought a box of lego from a charity shop today for my son, he's too young to use it right now but I couldn't pass it up as it contained 80s Lego Space Classic parts like I had as a kid.

Comment

I still have some of my books but most of my toys went the way of the flesh years ago...
        Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

In charity shops you can find so much old stuff like toys from the eighties etc.
          Stuff you grew up with.

Originally posted by mulletino View Post
          i bought a box of lego from a charity shop today for my son, he's too young to use it right now but i couldn't pass it up as it contained 80s lego space classic parts like i had as a kid.

Comment

agreed darren. although some charity shop tend to put the prices up on some items.

Originally posted by darren View Post
            In charity shops you can find so much old stuff like toys from the eighties etc.
            Stuff you grew up with.

Comment

Yeah some do take the mick with their prices, this was AU$20 for the box, which is about 10 quid. It also contains 80s Lego Knights too!

Comment

Perhaps they are getting wise that certain toys are worth a bit.
                But really they have to be reasonable dont they.

I saw a ton of old ladybird books in a charity shop was tempted until i saw the pages had pen marks on them etc.

Originally posted by big kid View Post
                agreed darren. Although some charity shop tend to put the prices up on some items.

Comment

I wish I still had my toys. I have a few but most went a long time ago. Prices are now such that I couldn't afford to collect what I used to have, but even if I could it wouldn't be the same, as they wouldn't be the ones I actually played with. The thing I missed the most is my Chopper bike...a 1970 model in orange. For years after I outgrew it, it was stored in the shed, until I looked one day and it was gone. My mom had given it away. I could have wept. I loved that old bike.

Comment

My parents were bad for giving my toys away, even when I was still young enough to play with them.

They seemed to get a bit better in later years, but they are still on a "suspended sentence" over binning my Acorn Electron without warning.
                    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Yeah, so many things I don't ever remember selling or giving away that should have been in the loft weren't there. My folks always deny knowing what happened to them though.

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                        Perhaps they are getting wise that certain toys are worth a bit.
                        But really they have to be reasonable dont they.

I saw a ton of old ladybird books in a charity shop was tempted until i saw the pages had pen marks on them etc.
                        a friend and i went into a charity shop a while back. they were selling toys for £2 that weren't even in boxes and they could be bought from any pound shop. some items had wheels missing as well.

Comment

some stuff like games consoles i bought again thru online shops this is in the last 10 or so yrs.
                          Some of them just got damaged or thrown out back in the late eighties etc.

chopper bikes now there was a great bike not surprised you felt sad when you found it gone.
                          if u could get one again would you or would it have to be the very exact one.

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
                          i wish i still had my toys. I have a few but most went a long time ago. Prices are now such that i couldn't afford to collect what i used to have, but even if i could it wouldn't be the same, as they wouldn't be the ones i actually played with. The thing i missed the most is my chopper bike...a 1970 model in orange. For years after i outgrew it, it was stored in the shed, until i looked one day and it was gone. My mom had given it away. I could have wept. I loved that old bike.

Comment

A few toys, mainly soldiers and cars, still survive up in my loft, after many moves.

Few toys from my early days were kept and to be fair I was pretty hard on some toys as one of the posters in here said.

My father gave many of my toys away - I discovered years later. I had wondered where a lot of them had gone and now I know.My father was a swine with us kids. When we moved out he erradicated our presence in the house(s) we lived in and kept dragging stuff out of his loft and gave us ultimatums to take them away. This was unfair as our houses were bound to be smaller and we had no room to keep them. We claimed what we could but only managed to save about 10% of it.

I was very bitter about these things, many of which were my only pals for years. It was also very disappointing because my father's mother threw all his toys away when he left home so I might have thought he wouldn't follow suit.

Comment

I have bits and bobs - but cling onto my Childhood in other ways generally through like Fashion and Memories!

Now it makes sense (in a wierd/odd way) I think why people of Pension age refer to people of their own age as a young man/young lady!

80sChav

Comment

Seems times where tough for you.

seems like you had a lot of stuff at least you saved some of it.
                                You have any scalextric, or train set stuff.

but im sure you could get them again if you really wanted.

lot of the stuff i had as a kid i managed to get again many yrs later.

i was a bit rough with my toys but thats part of be
                                ing a kid i suppose.

Originally posted by pussywillow View Post
                                a few toys, mainly soldiers and cars, still survive up in my loft, after many moves.

Few toys from my early days were kept and to be fair i was pretty hard on some toys as one of the posters in here said.

My father gave many of my toys away - i discovered years later. I had wondered where a lot of them had gone and now i know.my father was a swine with us kids. When we moved out he erradicated our presence in the house(s) we lived in and kept dragging stuff out of his loft and gave us ultimatums to take them away. This was unfair as our houses were bound to be smaller and we had no room to keep them. We claimed what we could but only managed to save about 10% of it.

I was very bitter about these things, many of which were my only pals for years. It was also very disappointing because my father's mother threw all his toys away when he left home so i might have thought he wouldn't follow suit.

Comment

Working...
                                X