Help with two early 90s adverts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with two early 90s adverts

Hi people. I'm looking for two adverts. The first would have been from about 1992 and was a series of ads with a male voice talking, and as he said some words, a visual play on words would appear, such as when he said "you" it would show a female sheep (ewe). The only bit I specifically remember was the phrase "well, hey, great news!", at which point it showed a water well, a hay bale, a cheese grater and a newspaper. One of the ads ended with the word "nonsense" and a shot of a cobblers store. I think the ad was about the self-assessment deadline or something and was a way of making a boring message visually interesting.

The second would've been about the same time or perhaps slightly earlier and involved a cartoon map of Britain talking. It would've been before the Lottery started so maybe it was an advert for the Pools or something. Any memories?

Originally posted by LilacLobster View Post
    Hi people. I'm looking for two adverts. The first would have been from about 1992 and was a series of ads with a male voice talking, and as he said some words, a visual play on words would appear, such as when he said "you" it would show a female sheep (ewe). The only bit I specifically remember was the phrase "well, hey, great news!", at which point it showed a water well, a hay bale, a cheese grater and a newspaper. One of the ads ended with the word "nonsense" and a shot of a cobblers store. I think the ad was about the self-assessment deadline or something and was a way of making a boring message visually interesting.

The second would've been about the same time or perhaps slightly earlier and involved a cartoon map of Britain talking. It would've been before the Lottery started so maybe it was an advert for the Pools or something. Any memories?
    I remember this one, there was also a bit saying less price to pay, with someone putting a wig on!
    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I remember the first one all right, it was one of my favourite ads at the time. My favourite pun was when it said there was 'no need to register', with the onscreen image being a picture of a man with - you've guessed it - no knees. Frustratingly I can't recall the company that was being advertised, but if it helps I can tell you the voiceover was by John Wells.

Your second query made me think of this British Gas ad here, only with singing instead of talking https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoECjM45FtA

Hope this helps!

Comment

I did a thread about adverts from 1992, and I would have almost certainly remembered it if it rang any bells. Sounds like a regional one.

Yes, the second one was the map of Britain one for British Gas "Crazy Weather, I'm at the end of my tether" circa 1993 as seen above. When Bob Rust retired from Yorkshire TV as Calendar's weatherman in 1996, they showed a few seconds of that ad.

I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
        There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
        I'm having so much fun
        My lucky number's one
        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Thank you all for the help. Good to hear other people remember details of the first one. It remains elusive to me but I will keep looking. It may not have been 1992 but I think it was definitely the first half of the '90s.

I'm not sure the British Gas ad is the one I was thinking off, but I do remember it. I had it down as talking rather than singing and I thought it was an advert for something like a lottery, pools, bingo or possibly a travel agent. It could be two different memories merging in my head.

Comment

Working...
          X