Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

video nasties

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • video nasties

    Anybody remember the camapign against horror and violent videos durting the early '80s? A lot of the banned films are now legally available on DVD but some're still banned.
    WELCOME TO HELL!!!

  • #2
    Re: video nasties

    Yes, there were some really nasty ones like I Spit On Your Grave, Driller Killer, The Evil Dead, Nightmare In A Damaged Brain, Tenebrae and The Last House On The Left.
    I have seen some of these and they're not nice!
    sigpic
    'Dreams come true if you want them to'

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: video nasties

      Good old Willie "Short sharp shock" Whitelaw, He couldnt have done a better job to make every local shop stock them under the counter due to the demand to see what the fuss was about.
      Scarey at the time but nothing compared to the accepted modern gore fest wave of "torture porn" films like Saw or the bone collector etc etc.

      other banned vids included (under the counter at my local shop)

      Xtro
      Zombie cannibals
      SS experiment camp
      texas chainsaw massacre
      plus the ones listed by Kazboot above.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: video nasties

        Others that might have been include Canibal Hollocaust, Basket Case, Caligula (hardcore edit) & The Exocist.

        I've heard of one that was supposedly a "snuff" movie, shot on early home video cameras to make it look "underground". I can't remember the title but it was supposedly a fairly mild horror film from Latin America with some "snuff" scenes spliced in.

        Does anyone know which film this is, I might be mixing 2 together.
        The Trickster On The Roof

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: video nasties

          Hi Richard,
          The film you are talking about is simply called 'Snuff'. It is as you say a really bad horror flick with a dodgy bit tacked on the end saying it's a snuff movie and that the 'actors' all died . It's a terrible film!!! Quite rare to find on VHS and worth quite a bit too.
          A pic of the cover for the video (and losds more pre cert videos) can be seen here, http://www.pre-cert.co.uk/cgi-bin/cms/Film/3634
          Heaven knows I'm miserable now.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: video nasties

            The official 39 video nasties.
            • Absurd
            • Anthropophagus The Beast
            • Axe
            • The Beast in Heat
            • Blood Bath
            • Blood Feast
            • Blood Rites
            • Bloody Moon
            • The Burning
            • Cannibal Apocalypse
            • Cannibal Ferox
            • Cannibal Holocaust
            • The Cannibal Man
            • Devil Hunter
            • Don’t Go in the Woods… Alone!
            • The Driller Killer
            • Evilspeak
            • Expose
            • Faces of Death
            • Fight For Your Life
            • Forest of Fear
            • Frankenstein (Andy Warhol’s)
            • Gestapo’s Last Orgy
            • The House by the Cemetery
            • House on the Edge of the Park
            • Island of Death
            • I Spit on Your Grave
            • The Last House on the Left
            • Love Camp 7
            • Madhouse
            • Mardi Gras Massacre
            • Night of the Bloody Apes
            • Night of the Demon
            • Nightmares in a Damaged Brain
            • Snuff
            • SS Experiment Camp
            • Tenebrae
            • The Werewolf And The Yeti
            • Zombie Flesh Eaters


            --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

            A number of films spent a short time on this list because their prosecutions failed shortly after publication or because it was decided that prosecution was not worth pursuing. Ultimately, the list became obsolete when the Video Recordings Act came into force, and since 2001, several of the films have been released uncut. In the majority of cases below where cuts were made, they were scenes of real-life animal cruelty and/or excessive violence to women, both of which are still regarded with some degree of severity by the BBFC.

            The DPP list of 'video nasties' was first made public in June 1983. The list was modified monthly as prosecutions failed or were dropped. In total, 72 separate films appeared on the list at one time or another. Thirty-nine films were successfully prosecuted under the Obscene Publications Act but some of these films have been subsequently cut and then approved for release by the BBFC. The remaining 35 were either not prosecuted or had unsuccessful prosecutions
            sigpic
            Don't worry Cheryl....
            I'll catch you if you slip!

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: video nasties

              Originally posted by tonyfinster View Post
              Good old Willie "Short sharp shock" Whitelaw, He couldnt have done a better job to make every local shop stock them under the counter due to the demand to see what the fuss was about.
              Scarey at the time but nothing compared to the accepted modern gore fest wave of "torture porn" films like Saw or the bone collector etc etc.

              other banned vids included (under the counter at my local shop)

              Xtro
              Zombie cannibals
              SS experiment camp
              texas chainsaw massacre
              plus the ones listed by Kazboot above.
              Xtro & Texas Chainsaw Massacre were never 'Banned'. Texas Chainsaw Massacre and The Exorsist were 'withdrawn'.
              Heaven knows I'm miserable now.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: video nasties

                My Friends Dad had a video shop and he had boxes of them at their house. Consequently, we watched a great deal of stuff we probably shouldn't have seen. Texas Chainsaw Massacre springs to mind. Driller Killer was on Sky last weekend too.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: video nasties

                  I remember Driller Killer being cleared for release in the late 1990s, only weeks after someone I worked with who was a horror film buff reckoned it was too gory to get past the BBFC.
                  The Trickster On The Roof

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    video nasties

                    I have it on DVD, it's not that gory, compared to the stuff that gets released today

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: video nasties

                      Over the years the standards change.80's horror is quite tame if not funny now.But classic 80's horror is worth a watch all the same.Just not shocking compared to what is out these days.I used to collect loads on vhs ,Back when it was a popular format.
                      sigpic

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: video nasties

                        Many of the so called nasties are pretty nasty as in rubbish, but my Cousin and I were huge horror fans and had em all, the ones that are great are still great, and are now cult movies rather than remembered for their gore or violence, some though, still pack a punch.

                        I saw Wrong Way recently and realized it would never get a release.
                        The cannibal movies are all on DVD sort of uncut, but not fully over here in good ol' Politically Correct UK.
                        And controversial films like In The Realm Of The Senses, are "re-framed" - a weak version, of censored!
                        sigpic
                        Don't worry Cheryl....
                        I'll catch you if you slip!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: video nasties

                          Originally posted by Timeslipper View Post
                          The official 39 video nasties.
                          • Absurd
                          • Anthropophagus The Beast
                          • Axe
                          • The Beast in Heat
                          • Blood Bath
                          • Blood Feast
                          • Blood Rites
                          • Bloody Moon
                          • The Burning
                          • Cannibal Apocalypse
                          • Cannibal Ferox
                          • Cannibal Holocaust
                          • The Cannibal Man
                          • Devil Hunter
                          • Don’t Go in the Woods… Alone!
                          • The Driller Killer
                          • Evilspeak
                          • Expose
                          • Faces of Death
                          • Fight For Your Life
                          • Forest of Fear
                          • Frankenstein (Andy Warhol’s)
                          • Gestapo’s Last Orgy
                          • The House by the Cemetery
                          • House on the Edge of the Park
                          • Island of Death
                          • I Spit on Your Grave
                          • The Last House on the Left
                          • Love Camp 7
                          • Madhouse
                          • Mardi Gras Massacre
                          • Night of the Bloody Apes
                          • Night of the Demon
                          • Nightmares in a Damaged Brain
                          • Snuff
                          • SS Experiment Camp
                          • Tenebrae
                          • The Werewolf And The Yeti
                          • Zombie Flesh Eaters


                          --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

                          A number of films spent a short time on this list because their prosecutions failed shortly after publication or because it was decided that prosecution was not worth pursuing. Ultimately, the list became obsolete when the Video Recordings Act came into force, and since 2001, several of the films have been released uncut. In the majority of cases below where cuts were made, they were scenes of real-life animal cruelty and/or excessive violence to women, both of which are still regarded with some degree of severity by the BBFC.

                          The DPP list of 'video nasties' was first made public in June 1983. The list was modified monthly as prosecutions failed or were dropped. In total, 72 separate films appeared on the list at one time or another. Thirty-nine films were successfully prosecuted under the Obscene Publications Act but some of these films have been subsequently cut and then approved for release by the BBFC. The remaining 35 were either not prosecuted or had unsuccessful prosecutions
                          im part of a website dedicated to the nasties and pre cet videos.

                          this is the site.
                          http://www.pre-cert.co.uk

                          some of these nasties are selling for big money at the moment.
                          island of death is going for over 3 hundred and fifty quid.

                          the two that where removed from the banned list where xtro and shogun assassin.
                          so its now the 72.
                          Last edited by darren; 10-09-2010, 02:12.
                          FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: video nasties

                            Originally posted by Timeslipper View Post
                            Many of the so called nasties are pretty nasty as in rubbish, but my Cousin and I were huge horror fans and had em all, the ones that are great are still great, and are now cult movies rather than remembered for their gore or violence, some though, still pack a punch.

                            I saw Wrong Way recently and realized it would never get a release.
                            The cannibal movies are all on DVD sort of uncut, but not fully over here in good ol' Politically Correct UK.
                            And controversial films like In The Realm Of The Senses, are "re-framed" - a weak version, of censored!
                            a big carton wrong recently sold for just over 4 hunded quid.
                            FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              i have most of the dpp 39 on vhs,some beta and some on v2000.

                              about a year ago i bought anthropophagous the beast on vfp for just over a ton.
                              it also got released on videoshack.the later release but much rarer.
                              have seen videoshack anthros sell for 600 quid.

                              lots of the nasties got released on two different labels.

                              anthro on vfp and videoshack.
                              gestapos last orgy on vfp and the rarer one on videoshack.
                              a mate of mine sold his videoshack glo recently for 1700 quid.
                              FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X