No announcement yet.

British tv series 70's with mechanical owl / metallic talking bird

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: British tv series 70's with mechanical owl !!!

I remember Green Claws had a mechical owl it it, but that was made in the late 1980's.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

No,its not Raven,as the bird with the glowing eyes is a Merlin and represents Merlin from the king arthur myths.It is a stuffed bird that is burn't at end of the program but arises from the grave of the professor who can be seen as a modern version of Merlin resurected as the bird from the grave at the end of the series.All very heady stuff from the 70's.

I am trying to think of the mechanical owl...but the only one that comes to mind is from clash or the titans.Athenas owl.The only other mechanical type bird that crosses my mind was due to a badly designed metallic gold puppet in pheonix and the carpet.But these have also benn mentioned along with several others.

One thing did cross my mind is a possible mechanical type bird from some old school program but I just cannot remember what it was.

Comment

How about the Iron Chicken from the clangers or Professor Yaffle from Bagpuss?

sigpic

Comment

Thinking about bagpuss wasn't there one dealing with the owls of athens.Just a random thought.

Racking my brains and still no closer on this one.The only other mechanical bird to come to mind is Edwin from shoebox zoo but it's still a very recent program and he's a metal and rather cute hawk of some kind.

Comment

That's incredible,finally someone (2) people answering to me,too !!!
            Thanks a lot ... but it isn't "Clangers" or "Bubo-Clash of the Titans" or "Phoenix & the carpet" but it's quite similar to the Phoenix.
            When I put my memories here in the first post above,Huggie74 wrote that some years ago,someone wrote the same thing I put here but he wrote that maybe was a French Tv series & wrote this thing :
            "have been discussing old tv progs and someone asked what the name of the metalic bird was in a 70s or 80s kids tv program. a few of us seemed to remember it was made up of metal feathers, its head moved and it may have been french. and its not Proffessor Yaffle."
            And especially this one : "but I have looked at the pheonix and the carpet. this particluar bird had big feathers more like fish scales, its head moved and it could talk, and if i am correct it was an oily blue colour."

Unfortunately,this person not shown after this Post,too & so we don't know other news or some other things ... !
            For Battyret :is too much important this one :"its not Raven,as the bird with the glowing eyes is a Merlin and represents Merlin from the king arthur myths.It is a stuffed bird that is burn't at end of the program but arises from the grave of the professor who can be seen as a modern version of Merlin resurected as the bird from the grave at the end of the series."

Someone in Italy tolds me something about "Merlin" maybe not to this Program but to another Program in the first 80's,'cause "Raven" I'm sure wasn't on Italian Tv ,too.
            But tje other strange thing that passed now on my mind is that some people remembered that the Owl burn itself in the end of the series or in the end of the Episode,everytime (but this it reconized in the "Phoenix" too,but when i saw the Episodes on the Tube,me & some other Italian people on the Net,we're sure that it wasn't that Tv Program focused on the Phoenix but another strange,darkly,scared,maybe some horror or spyes story inside it.
            Maybe it spoken but for me it's similar to the things that other people wrote here ("this particluar bird had big feathers more like fish scales, its head moved and it could talk, and if i am correct it was an oily blue colour.")
            Well,thanks so much & I hope this one could be revealed ,too !!!
            After 33 years that I'm waiting ... !

Comment

There is a 1979 series called The Boy Merlin.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0398431/

Comment

Originally posted by chribio View Post
                Hi,
                I'm Chribio from Italy.
                I have a very difficult question for you,too!
                In various forum i asked about it but no-one helps me in the right way.
                I remembered in an Italian tv Rai television maybe in 1979-'81 not after a horror or fantasy or sci-fi tv series with a mechanical/metallic owl inside it.
                I remembered maybe a house or castle,a pendulum clock,a childrens (maybe) & an old steward maybe behind the owl.
                The owl is fat (not so much) darkly & maybe had magician powers with the eyes that maybe shining something with red colours that maybe stop the time or some other thing!
                Always i remembered a Victorian style all around & surely in color style not b/n,too.
                In my three years of research i'm sure that was not:The phoenix & the carpet (yes,there was the children's and a phoenix but my bird was darkly not golden & the movement was so slow than the phoenix).
                Not "Ace of wands","hammer stories","tales & mysteries",no "the enchanted castle" i saw all the episodes on youtube but i saw a real owl not mechanic.
                But i don't know something for series like "Shadows" or "Sky",too...that MAYBE are with similar things and mysteryes too.
                I'm sure that the series was made in 1975-'79 & programming on tv not after 1981.
                I know that is very difficult question but maybe this is the final chance to understand something about it,'cause i'm not the only one that remembered this OWL ...i know (by net) another man that remembered it!!!
                Maybe the tv series was by the Thames english tv!
                Thanks for helping me!
                Bye & see you soon...i hope!

p.s.:
                Sorry for my English,i love the language too much but was not so much times i write in English,unfortunately...i hope you understand all !

Good afternoon. As soon as you said mechanical owl, I thought 'Bagpuss' Just watched an episode and its a woodpecker. May be the programme you meant though. The mechanical woodpecker is on at about 2.35 minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYx9kGElJkM

Comment

Greenclaws......you'll see the owl in the tree.... at about 6:33

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_6bSnHVcJE

Comment

i remember it when you said greenclaws.

amazing i remember it such a blast from the past.

this has made my day..

Originally posted by fynger View Post
                    Greenclaws......you'll see the owl in the tree.... at about 6:33

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_6bSnHVcJE
                    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I remember it too.

Some old school shows were repeated on BBC2 on weekday mornings a few years ago.
                      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Wow,my old question run again ... well ... but unfortunately I said before that it doesn't "Bagpuss","Greenclaws" or something other Children's Program (with Peluche or people inside it) !!!
                        My question is open in Italy,too,but nothing ideas chance to confirm the right Mystery/Children Program was it !
                        So research will continue ... thanks !
                        Sometimes (when I've some news about it) I'll write here but meanwhile I hope in others good response here,too !!!
                        For now,thanks a lot !!!
                        I hope you'll understand all I wrote above !!!

Comment

Re: British tv series 70's with mechanical owl / metallic talking bird

I've merged these two threads as everyone is suggesting the same answers
                          Heather

Comment

It's not Sage the Owl from The Herbs is it?

Comment

Thanks Heather but where is the other thread ???
                              Maybe was that wrote about an owl with blue colour & maybe from French tv ??!!
                              About "The Herbs" it was the first time that someone tolds me about it but obviously it's not the right Program.
                              No Peluche,man in that Peluche,Banana Splits,Bagpuss & other similar tv Program for Children (maybe saw just in England,too ...) but something that recalled so impress to "The Phoenix & the carpet" ... !!!

Comment

Ok sorry Heather now I understand (this thread is a mix with other Post) that i want to imagine it seems like my memories (I HOPEEE) !!!

Comment

Working...
                                X