Fawlty towers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fawlty towers

Fawlty Towers is a British sitcom produced by BBC and first broadcast on BBC2 in 1975 and 1979. 12 episodes were made two series, each of six episodes.

The show was written by John Cleese and his then wife Connie Booth, both of whom also starred in the show. The first series was produced and directed by John Howard Davies the second was produced by Douglas Argent and directed by Bob Spiers.
    The series is set in Fawlty Towers, a fictional hotel in the seaside town of Torquay, on the English Riviera.

The plots centre around tense, rude and put-upon manager Basil Fawlty, Cleese, his bossy wife Sybil, Prunella Scales, a comparatively normal chambermaid Polly (Booth, and hapless Spanish waiter Manuel,Andrew Sachs and their attempts to run the hotel amidst farcical situations and an array of demanding and eccentric guests.

In a list drawn up by the British Film Institute in 2000, voted by industry professionals, Fawlty Towers was named the best British television series of all time.
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Re: Fawlty towers

Thank-you for all the etails/informnation on Fawlty Towers Dreen. Fawlty Towers has long been one of my all time favourite comedy's, ever since I first knew of it, when i'd be about 7 or 8 years old. I think it is a shame only 2 Series were eber made, though on the other side of the coin could any more Series' of matched the brilliance of the first 2 Series I often ask myself.

I am a mega fan of John Cleese too, he is one of my all time favourite actors from the United Kingdom, if not the best actor ever from the United Kingdom. His ad-libing ability was so excellent in Fawlty Towers - that is the sign of a true ledgend of an actor.

Still though F.T would of been nothing without all the othewr acors like The Major andthe the 2 old lady's and other semi regular or one-time characters. I thought too Connie who portrayed an English accent with-out an hint of an American one, was so so amazing in her role, as was Prunella as Sybil and Andrew as Maunuel, who also conveyed a terrificley beilveable accent from a Country he was not from in real lifew. These are all the Hallmarks of top top quality trained actors who can adapt well at or to anything I think

Comment

loved Fawlty Towers or Farty Towels as it said on the hotel name board one episode ...........have the dvd box set on the shelf

Comment

I did read that John & Connie used to draft the scripts on rolls of wallpaper as they had so much detail, using different coloured felt-tips for each character.
        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

i like that idea using different colours for each characters lines and on wallpaper great info mate.
          i assume this included all cast members not just the regulars.
          still as good now as ever it was.

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
          I did read that John & Connie used to draft the scripts on rolls of wallpaper as they had so much detail, using different coloured felt-tips for each character.
          FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I didn't know this. Wouldn't they run out of colours for an episode with a large cast?
            http://www.thefawltytowersguide.co.uk

Comment

I've been watching this on Netflix recently. Not as good as I remember it.

Comment

Working...
              X