Things you no longer see or hear on TV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Things you no longer see or hear on TV

Variety shows that have a musical or dancing interlude such as the Brian Rogers Connection.
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

The names of actors appearing under their picture during show intros or at the end, "you have been watching..." style
      1976 Vintage

Comment

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
        The names of actors appearing under their picture during show intros or at the end, "you have been watching..." style
        You will mostly see that at the end of most Perry and Croft sitcoms on the BBC - or indeed ones that Croft also did sans Perry.

The obvious ones are Dad's Army of course; Hi-De-Hi!; It Ain't Alf Hot, Mum; 'Allo 'Allo, and Are You Being Served?
        I'm having so much fun
        My lucky number's one
        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

"It's Friday, it's five o'clock, it's Crackerjack"

And a very well known one: "Here's one I made earlier" (Blue Peter)
          sigpic
          Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Originally posted by Twocky61 View Post
            "It's Friday, it's five o'clock, it's Crackerjack"

And a very well known one: "Here's one I made earlier" (Blue Peter)
            Do you recall the program on Christmas morning at a children's hospital where Leslie Crowther used to give each child a present .. I loved that program even though it puzzled me why they were given random parcels so it was presumably pot-luck as to wether they liked the gift ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
              You will mostly see that at the end of most Perry and Croft sitcoms on the BBC - or indeed ones that Croft also did sans Perry.

The obvious ones are Dad's Army of course; Hi-De-Hi!; It Ain't Alf Hot, Mum; 'Allo 'Allo, and Are You Being Served?
              Miranda Hart brought back this for the end titles of her show.
              The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by Zincubus View Post
                Do you recall the program on Christmas morning at a children's hospital where Leslie Crowther used to give each child a present .. I loved that program even though it puzzled me why they were given random parcels so it was presumably pot-luck as to wether they liked the gift ...
                On the BBC, Frankie Howerd did the hospital visit in 1962, Ray Alan did it at least once in the 1960s, and dare I say it, Rolf Harris did the 1969 one (ironically in the same year when his song was the Christmas number one as well). Harris did it for a couple more years on the BBC.

Crowther originally did this for the BBC in the 1960s, and he moved for Yorkshire TV when A Merry Morning started on ITV in 1969 until 1974, although John Alderton (who looked a bit like Crowther back then, certainly in Please Sir!) did Christmas Day 1971, probably because it fell on a weekend.

Jimmy Tarbuck took over from Crowther in 1975, and presumably he got the job because he joined YTV earlier on that year to present Winner Takes All. The 1978 edition didn't go out because of a strike at YTV, although it was shown the following year, making people assume that it was a repeat from the previous year, when the reality was that it couldn't be transmitted at any other time. Don Maclean did the final one in 1980, and by 1981 a Worzel Gummage Christmas special was in its place, although I am sure that Roland Rat did a similar thing for TV-am a few years later.

It seem outdated by the start of the 1980s of course.
                I'm having so much fun
                My lucky number's one
                Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

On the BBC, Frankie Howerd did the hospital visit in 1962, Ray Alan did it at least once in the 1960s, and dare I say it, Rolf Harris did the 1969 one (ironically in the same year when his song was the Christmas number one as well). Harris did it for a couple more years on the BBC.

Crowther originally did this for the BBC in the 1960s, and he moved for Yorkshire TV when A Merry Morning started on ITV in 1969 until 1974, although John Alderton (who looked a bit like Crowther back then, certainly in Please Sir!) did Christmas Day 1971, probably because it fell on a weekend.

Jimmy Tarbuck took over from Crowther in 1975, and presumably he got the job because he joined YTV earlier on that year to present Winner Takes All. The 1978 edition didn't go out because of a strike at YTV, although it was shown the following year, making people assume that it was a repeat from the previous year, when the reality was that it couldn't be transmitted at any other time. Don Maclean did the final one in 1980, and by 1981 a Worzel Gummage Christmas special was in its place, although I am sure that Roland Rat did a similar thing for TV-am a few years later.

It seem outdated by the start of the 1980s of course.

Thank you for that facinating info !!

I wish they'd bring it back !!

James Corden or Peter Kay ??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

This thread is a lot of fun to read! We used to see film clip 'vignettes' with light music to fill air time on tv here into the '70s and early '80s, a watermill, a horse in a field, a butterfly landing on a blade of grass, that sort of thing. I miss the oasis of calm they provided. Now we get screeching adverts for much too long (which led to people flipping channels to escape them).
                    My virtual jigsaws: https://www.jigsawplanet.com/beccabear67/Original-photo-puzzles

Comment

I remember there used to be some interludes before Children's BBC, normally some clips of wildlife set to classic music.

Comment

These might have been mentioned before, but never mind:

National adverts that tell you to dial 01-200 0200 for more information, and also a number ending 3388 as well.
                        ATV and Central region adverts that tell you to dial 021-622 5252 for more information, although anyone outside the Midlands wouldn't have seen them back then either.
                        Brown, beige, or cream coloured television studios (cf programmes like Parkinson; Ask the Family; Monkhouse and Bygraves-era Family Fortunes; Aspel-era Give us a Clue, etc).
                        Adverts on film that has the sound starting at least two seconds after the vision.
                        Elderly characters outnumbering young ones on Coronation Street.
                        TV Presenters who wore National Health glasses (cf Ronnie Corbett; Denis Norden; Shaw Taylor; Eric Sykes etc).
                        I'm having so much fun
                        My lucky number's one
                        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

These might have been mentioned before, but never mind:

National adverts that tell you to dial 01-200 0200 for more information, and also a number ending 3388 as well.
                          ATV and Central region adverts that tell you to dial 021-622 5252 for more information, although anyone outside the Midlands wouldn't have seen them back then either.
                          Brown, beige, or cream coloured television studios (cf programmes like Parkinson; Ask the Family; Monkhouse and Bygraves-era Family Fortunes; Aspel-era Give us a Clue, etc).
                          Adverts on film that has the sound starting at least two seconds after the vision.
                          Elderly characters outnumbering young ones on Coronation Street.
                          TV Presenters who wore National Health glasses (cf Ronnie Corbett; Denis Norden; Shaw Taylor; Eric Sykes etc).

Regarding Coronation Street, the 60s, 70s and 80s were times when older characters dominated, and the show was all the better for it. It had drama tinged with humour, and had wonderful characters played by good actors. The show today is not even a shadow of what it used to be.

Previous posters have mentioned Christmas Day hospital visit programmes and I would not mind seeing that kind of thing return.

Comment

Things you no longer see or hear on TV

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
                            Regarding Coronation Street, the 60s, 70s and 80s were times when older characters dominated, and the show was all the better for it. It had drama tinged with humour, and had wonderful characters played by good actors. The show today is not even a shadow of what it used to be.

Previous posters have mentioned Christmas Day hospital visit programmes and I would not mind seeing that kind of thing return.
                            As regards Corrie ..
                            All our family used to watch it in the 60's -70's but in those days the viewers had no idea what was going to happen in the storylines . More often than not the episode on a Wednesday evening would finish at 7:57pm on a cliff-hanger .. then we waited anxiously until the following Monday night at 7.30 pm !

Today they feed all the storylines to the media weeks in advance even showing the main incidents before the shows go out on TV ..

Makes no sense . Imagine buying a book and all the main points of interest were on the front page !?!

I'd like one of the soaps to just be brave and try the old way .. leave the viewers wondering and talking ....then compare the viewing figures

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

The phone number 811 8055 to call Swap Shop.
                              The postcode W1A 4WW .
                              The broom cupboard.

Comment

Before 0800 numbers came along adverts used to tell you to dial 100 & as for Freephone "name of product".

ITV closedowns with a suggestion to tune into your local independent radio station, with the logos & frequencies shown on the screen.

Comment

Working...
                                X