• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Donald the Great
    replied
    Re: Television of Yesteryear.

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
    And it was no wonder why the deceased Marty Hopkirk kept a close eye on what his missus was up to...yum. Also, Randall seemed to be on the receiving end of a good duffing nearly every episode.

I am not sure if it was an ITC production but there was a short-lived series called The Zoo Gang in 1974. It was set in the south of France and was about a group of ex-resistance fighters and SOE agents who meet up and decide to use their talents to fight crime. John Mills and Lilli Palmer starred.
    The Zoo Gang.. not heard of it and reckoned I had seen just about everything John Mills had made. Will take a look ..You Tube may have it.

Leave a comment:

• Donald the Great
    replied

Originally posted by beccabear67 View Post
    The Strange Report has that swingin' sixties aspect to it as well with Anneke Wills (she was in a genuine swingin' sixties film too, The Pleasure Girls, 1965). Apparently they wanted to make a second series of Strange Report in America but Quayle didn't want to go and Wills decided she didn't want to either, and so without them the possibility was scrubbed. Oddly though Anneke ended up for quite a while living on an island out here in Western Canada while back home Doctor Who fans considered her 'disappearance' some kind of huge mystery!

I have a set of Ghost Squad, a b&w special ops type of police show made in the earliest '60s... lots of great names turning up as guests in it too, William Hartnell is excellent in his episode of it. Honor Blackman is in another, but a very small part.

I should be getting a set of Van Der Valk's earliest series second-hand and reasonably priced. Ought to be quite a trip to watch!
    Ghost Squad? A lot of those early Brit b&w shows are poor quality. Interesting story about Anneke Wills.

Leave a comment:

• staffslad
    replied

Originally posted by zabadak View Post
    Theme by Wings on the B-side of their Band On The Run single!

Thanks for that. I think the series was shown on friday evenings and the characters had animal codenames---Mills being elephant and Palmer possibly leopard.

Leave a comment:

• zabadak
    replied

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
    ...there was a short-lived series called The Zoo Gang in 1974. It was set in the south of France and was about a group of ex-resistance fighters and SOE agents who meet up and decide to use their talents to fight crime. John Mills and Lilli Palmer starred.
    Theme by Wings on the B-side of their Band On The Run single!

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• beccabear67
    replied

The Strange Report has that swingin' sixties aspect to it as well with Anneke Wills (she was in a genuine swingin' sixties film too, The Pleasure Girls, 1965). Apparently they wanted to make a second series of Strange Report in America but Quayle didn't want to go and Wills decided she didn't want to either, and so without them the possibility was scrubbed. Oddly though Anneke ended up for quite a while living on an island out here in Western Canada while back home Doctor Who fans considered her 'disappearance' some kind of huge mystery!

I have a set of Ghost Squad, a b&w special ops type of police show made in the earliest '60s... lots of great names turning up as guests in it too, William Hartnell is excellent in his episode of it. Honor Blackman is in another, but a very small part.

I should be getting a set of Van Der Valk's earliest series second-hand and reasonably priced. Ought to be quite a trip to watch!

Leave a comment:

• Donald the Great
    replied

I think I remember something titled Doctor At Sea. It seemed like there was one series with the same main character but a slightly altered title, based on some books if I remember correctly. I always remembered the theme music whatever it was called.

I'm sort of immersed in old Z Cars shows, the first year or so with Bert Lynch, 'Fancy' Smith (Brian Blessed) and the Scots Rugby bloke, Webb? Lynch and Rugby bloke were in it later on even after Softly Softly had broken off from it. I have the set of 1971-72 episodes too. 'Zed' was a quality show, seemed to get some directors like Paddy Russell and Derek Martinus who had also done Doctor Who, maybe that's why? If Douglas Camfield did one I haven't seen that one. I'd watch anything he worked on.

I also like the original professionals with Gordon Jackson (hope I haven't mentioned that before), and wondering if there is anything I might dig up from the '60s-'70s along the lines of either show I would like? The Sweeney with John Thaw? Never seen the old original but heard about it. And maybe Van Der Valk? Is that the one shot in Holland?

I do like The Strange Report and The Omega Factor well enough, but not enough to spend what they would want for Department S. Maybe if I find a second-hander on cheap though...
    I am watching The Strange Report for the first time as at the time of its release it was not shown in Australia. I have always enjoyed the work of Anthony Quayle. I did watch van Der Valk in OZ at the time as well as Department S, The Champions and Return of the Saint is another from that era.

Leave a comment:

• staffslad
    replied

Originally posted by zabadak View Post
    The original Randall & Hopkirk (Deceased) was amazing! Great theme tune, too!
    And it was no wonder why the deceased Marty Hopkirk kept a close eye on what his missus was up to...yum. Also, Randall seemed to be on the receiving end of a good duffing nearly every episode.

I am not sure if it was an ITC production but there was a short-lived series called The Zoo Gang in 1974. It was set in the south of France and was about a group of ex-resistance fighters and SOE agents who meet up and decide to use their talents to fight crime. John Mills and Lilli Palmer starred.

Leave a comment:

• zabadak
    replied

The original Randall & Hopkirk (Deceased) was amazing! Great theme tune, too!

Leave a comment:

• Richard1978
    replied

Department S & it's spin off Jason King were some of the last of the classic ITC thriller series.

Leave a comment:

• staffslad
    replied

I'll see if I can get to see some of the earliest Van Der Valk and The Sweeney. I have The Champions, it's a bit like Sapphire And Steel in some ways. My BF wants to see the old Randall And Hopkirk so maybe I can get him that for a pressie (got him the complete Prisoner one birthday). I should also look at The Protectors someday an Anderson fan, the one most people overlook that he produced, I've read good things about it for the kind of thing it was even if there were problems with Robert Vaughn.

The original Randall & Hopkirk from 1969 is far better than the Reeves/Mortimer effort imo. If you like the other ITC shows I think you will also like R & D.

I remember watching The Protectors when it was first broadcast. It was a good series and was a 25 minute show so it had a fast pace but didn't have the time to develop plots like the 50 minute shows could.

A few more 60s/70s show you might like:

UFO and Space: 1999 were both live action Gerry Anderson sci-fi series with top-notch SFX.

Callan was a very gritty espionage drama and certainly one of the best ever produced here. Very dour and depicted a world where no-one could be trusted.

Adam Adamant Lives! A BBC series from the swinging mid 60s with Gerald Harper as an Edwardian adventurer frozen for 60 years and emerging into permissive 60s London to continue fighting crime, picking up a proto hippy girl as a side-kick. Great fun in black & white.

Special Branch was a series from the late 60s to around 1974. The first couple of series were very serious dramas and featured Derren Nesbitt tackling various threats to national security. Later series were in colour and George Sewell replaced Nesbitt, with the plotting becoming slicker and with more action.

Leave a comment:

• beccabear67
    replied

I'll see if I can get to see some of the earliest Van Der Valk and The Sweeney. I have The Champions, it's a bit like Sapphire And Steel in some ways. My BF wants to see the old Randall And Hopkirk so maybe I can get him that for a pressie (got him the complete Prisoner one birthday). I should also look at The Protectors someday an Anderson fan, the one most people overlook that he produced, I've read good things about it for the kind of thing it was even if there were problems with Robert Vaughn.

Leave a comment:

• del37
    replied

I also like the original professionals with Gordon Jackson (hope I haven't mentioned that before), and wondering if there is anything I might dig up from the '60s-'70s along the lines of either show I would like? The Sweeney with John Thaw? Never seen the old original but heard about it. And maybe Van Der Valk? Is that the one shot in Holland?
    The Sweeney is absolutely terrific, one of the greatest UK police dramas ever. I would very highly recommend it.

Leave a comment:

• staffslad
    replied

Yes, those ITC shows are not cheap on DVD now. Van Der Valk was indeed set in Holland with Barry Foster as the title character.

Other ITC shows to check out....Man in a Suitcase, The Baron, The Champions, Randall & Hopkirk (Deceased), The Persuaders.

I remember seeing Edward and Mrs Simpson, and Edward VII at the time. There was also Upstairs, Downstairs and The Duchess of Duke Street.

Leave a comment:

• beccabear67
    replied

I think I remember something titled Doctor At Sea. It seemed like there was one series with the same main character but a slightly altered title, based on some books if I remember correctly. I always remembered the theme music whatever it was called.

I'm sort of immersed in old Z Cars shows, the first year or so with Bert Lynch, 'Fancy' Smith (Brian Blessed) and the Scots Rugby bloke, Webb? Lynch and Rugby bloke were in it later on even after Softly Softly had broken off from it. I have the set of 1971-72 episodes too. 'Zed' was a quality show, seemed to get some directors like Paddy Russell and Derek Martinus who had also done Doctor Who, maybe that's why? If Douglas Camfield did one I haven't seen that one. I'd watch anything he worked on.

I do like The Strange Report and The Omega Factor well enough, but not enough to spend what they would want for Department S. Maybe if I find a second-hander on cheap though...
    Last edited by beccabear67; 25-01-2019, 04:25.

Leave a comment:

• Donald the Great
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X