X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Grange hill

Originally posted by stud1al View Post
    I was watching a GH dvd last night.
    Have the dvd eps been cut? They only run for about 19 minutes each.
    The eps i have on tape run for longer than that
    Hmm, not sure. I think some of the original eps sometimes ran undertime, but 19 minutes?

Comment

Yeah,including opening and closing titles.
      It was season 3 i was watching if that's any help.

Comment

i have seen the first 5 series on youtube and some of the episodes just under 20 mins.

io do not think the episodes are cut.

as the series went on episodes ran for around 25. mins.
        FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Okay.Thanks Dazza.I hope you're right.

Comment

Hi Stud1al,
            Yeah the episodes are shorter on the DVD's to the originals sadly! I am a massive GH Fan, but sadly Dear Old Auntie Beeb just had to be petty and pedantic and cut out many great song's on GH that defined the era because "She" would'nt pay any (or if not many), music right's to the artists on Radio etc in episodes ...... is it any wonder going on that basis that we'll probably never see any more Series after the first 5 put on to DVD which is truly sad indeed I think.

Comment

Hi Chav.You can call me AL ,like in the old song

Oh,so they HAVE been?
              I guess the clue was on the dvd itself,then.It said "34 episodes" but did NOT say "COMPLETE AND UNCUT"

Comment

Hi Chav.You can call me AL ,like in the old song

Oh,so they HAVE been?
                I guess the clue was on the dvd itself,then.It said "34 episodes" but did NOT say "COMPLETE AND UNCUT"
                I think most have sadly yeah, Al.

Comment

Originally posted by 80sChav View Post
                  Hi Stud1al,
                  Yeah the episodes are shorter on the DVD's to the originals sadly! I am a massive GH Fan, but sadly Dear Old Auntie Beeb just had to be petty and pedantic and cut out many great song's on GH that defined the era because "She" would'nt pay any (or if not many), music right's to the artists on Radio etc in episodes ...... is it any wonder going on that basis that we'll probably never see any more Series after the first 5 put on to DVD which is truly sad indeed I think.
                  it will be sad if no more than the first five series do not get a dvd release.
                  instead of cutting out songs release those series and if no one wants to hear the songs fast forward past them.

it would make the beeb a fortune if they released them and give people the chance to see it that never saw it.

Comment

I think it's down to paying royalties for featuring songs in programmes before home video was common & no agreement regarding payments was made.

Some of the Dr Who DVD's have had to replace the original music with stock tracks.
                    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                      I think it's down to paying royalties for featuring songs in programmes before home video was common & no agreement regarding payments was made.

Some of the Dr Who DVD's have had to replace the original music with stock tracks.

It is a pathetic policy I think tough Richard considering the Money "Dear Old Auntie" rakes in from the TV Licence! This just proves the BBC should scrap it out with every other Station and pay their own way ... then may-be Grange Hill may JUST return to TV!

Comment

It's often artists & music publishers who want a lot of money or just plain refuse to redraft a deal.

In the past the BBC just had to do the cheapest deal for a couple of showings, when having repeats every few years & home video - DVD released seemed like science fiction.

Even some American progammes have had this problem. Daria took years to come out on DVD as it used a lot of music that would cost a lot to licence for home release.

After a long time waiting most of it was replaced with stock music (a little easier to do with a recent catoon with the original voice tapes surviving) though that still probably cost a fair amount to do.
                        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

So,there was a 4 to 5 minute song in every episode?

Comment

So,there was a 4 to 5 minute song in every episode?

Exactly, that is ludicrous. I recall too in 1991 you could clearly hear Sacrifice by Elton John and Elton is arguably one of the biggest top 5/7 mega-star's ever and he has never argued with the BBC about this (if he know's about it), but what I mean is it is an un-tapped ocean to these type of Artists and they are bound to let a few bob go by every now and then.

So to me, this suggests it's the BBC being their usual stingy selves ... the money they earn they could offer artists certain deals to like Elton John, George Michael, The Spice Girls, Diana Ross etc etc any kind of money imaginable I think!

Comment

All this about artist revenue from "Dear Old Auntie" and song's played on Grange Hill is pathetic i think (as do many other GH Fans I talk to think similar). What I mean is, "ok they canot afford top deals for every song by every artist on every show, ever made" but they could of tried IF they wanted to ..... but it goes back to the same old bugbear as always.

The BBC had never truly loved Grange Hill as one of their own, yeah it got commisioned year on year for 30 years but as soon as the BBC saw a good point to give it a lethal injection they took this chance, as IMHO it was gradualy becoming an irritation (of sorts) to them - hence the move from London to Liverpool for Series 26 in 2003. This was the one of the major bug-bears because it would not of really been still wanted in London (or at Elstree anyway). If any fan's of Grange Hill love it so much, whatever you think or even if you think it's had it's best days before 2003 - we should oranise a petition I think to prove the BBC anbd get it back on TV - if not on the BBC on any other channel willing to take a gamble!

Comment

Originally posted by 80sChav View Post
                                All this about artist revenue from "Dear Old Auntie" and song's played on Grange Hill is pathetic i think (as do many other GH Fans I talk to think similar). What I mean is, "ok they canot afford top deals for every song by every artist on every show, ever made" but they could of tried IF they wanted to ..... but it goes back to the same old bugbear as always.

The BBC had never truly loved Grange Hill as one of their own, yeah it got commisioned year on year for 30 years but as soon as the BBC saw a good point to give it a lethal injection they took this chance, as IMHO it was gradualy becoming an irritation (of sorts) to them - hence the move from London to Liverpool for Series 26 in 2003. This was the one of the major bug-bears because it would not of really been still wanted in London (or at Elstree anyway). If any fan's of Grange Hill love it so much, whatever you think or even if you think it's had it's best days before 2003 - we should oranise a petition I think to prove the BBC anbd get it back on TV - if not on the BBC on any other channel willing to take a gamble!

id sign a petition to get back on telly mate.
                                i just loved the show.
                                ive seen ever series ever made.

i font think the beeb realies how popular this show was and still is.
                                its been a part a huge part of my life as it has been for so many here

GH and dr who are probably its two greatest most successful shows.
                                I never knew it moved from london to liverpool on 03.

Comment

Working...
                                X