X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moiser20
    replied
    Re: Grange hill

I used to love the Double Dare Gang, I am sure they influence me when I was at School because I started to do dares like them after seeing them... I watched it from like 1997-2008 I used to love the show but never liked how it ended and how since then they don't show it at all, I think a lot of people would enjoy it and it would help the CBBC in the long run but I know they won't rerun them and as I think was mentioned here only the first four series are out on DVD.

Leave a comment:

• 80sChav
    replied

I was and still am unsure if to make a new thread in "Gone but not forgotten" as sadly a 5th ex cast member of Grange Hill has passed away Yesterday. Adam Ray who played the Art Teacher Mr Brisley from 1992 to 1999 and was in the top 5 longest surving Teachers in Grange Hill.

If Heather or HG could move this thread to "Gone bit not forgotten" it would be appreciated. I wish I could add more details about Adam's Career but unfortunatly I don't know of any more really.

RIP Adam Ray

Leave a comment:

• 80sChav
    replied

Originally posted by DemonEyeX View Post
    Well, basically the BBC didn't do anywhere as well as their predicted sales of the first four series, so it looks like it isn't financially viable for them to release the rest.
    The only real hope for a proper release is if a company such as Network does some kind of deal with the BBC for DVD rights.
    This is certainly possible, as many different classic/retro series are available on DVD, & a large amount of them are far less popular that Grange Hill, so let's just keep our fingers crossed.
    I agree with you DemonEyex - a very close friend campaigned for years to have them brought out on DVD - though he as as good as aid they never showed any interest = the poor sales in a way. After all cutting out the songs played etc can not help (even though yes the artists request a fair price), it is not a lot of songs we'd be talking with a minamal cost in the grand scheme of things that I sense put people off buying the DVD's too. It is all part of the programme (any I feel/think) and often discourages any interest. It'd be good though in another way if a Network picked up Grange Hill with new Series'. What it gave to/and did for the BBC as a programme is so sad that it finished with the whimper and no celebrations as it did in 2008 :cry:

Leave a comment:

• DemonEyeX
    replied

Originally posted by 80sChav View Post
    Why is it I often think with the best TV Programmes - it takes ages for them to be be brought out on to DVD (or video) as it used to be and even then they only bring out the first few Series like has been with Grange Hill so far!

Fair is fair royalties have to be paid but bring DVD's out of old programmes and it re-creates that lost interest, as well as all the revenue they relevant people would receive. It doesn't make much sense to me!!
    Well, basically the BBC didn't do anywhere as well as their predicted sales of the first four series, so it looks like it isn't financially viable for them to release the rest.
    The only real hope for a proper release is if a company such as Network does some kind of deal with the BBC for DVD rights.
    This is certainly possible, as many different classic/retro series are available on DVD, & a large amount of them are far less popular that Grange Hill, so let's just keep our fingers crossed.

Leave a comment:

• 80sChav
    replied

Originally posted by ianharding View Post
    I wonder if there might be the 90's episodes released on DVD!, even though ive seen them on YouTube!!, i loved GH, when i was younger!

I don't think there will be any anytime soon Ian, though really there should be some I'd think and hope. Is the 1990s your era Ian? I think it was one of the best decades easily - though really there was only 2 full decades - the 1980s and 1990s!

Why is it I often think with the best TV Programmes - it takes ages for them to be be brought out on to DVD (or video) as it used to be and even then they only bring out the first few Series like has been with Grange Hill so far!

Fair is fair royalties have to be paid but bring DVD's out of old programmes and it re-creates that lost interest, as well as all the revenue they relevant people would receive. It doesn't make much sense to me!!

Leave a comment:

• xmark1234
    replied

Great retro stuff carnt beat it

Leave a comment:

• LivedOnMars
    replied

Originally posted by xmark1234 View Post
    watched the first episode the other day on you tube thats it the bug has took control
    Me too Mark, I'm on series 4 now and enjoying the nostalgia. It was really quite daring for its time, and the first school story to tackle difficult issues rather than the Enid Blyton jolly hockey sticks stuff. What I had forgotten though is how awful Pogo Patterson was...all that heavy breathing, talking as if he had a throat full of phlegm and constant moaning...ew yuk! Please tell me he wasn't in it for long. I feel sick every time he speaks!

Leave a comment:

• xmark1234
    replied

watched the first episode the other day on you tube thats it the bug has took control

Leave a comment:

• DemonEyeX
    replied

Gabriel Kent in The Bill
    I am also a big fan of Todd as Tucker, but I personally think that he was awesome in The Bill.
    In fact I am going to revisit those episodes very soon.........

Leave a comment:

• ianharding
    replied

I wonder if there might be the 90's episodes released on DVD!, even though ive seen them on YouTube!!, i loved GH, when i was younger!

Leave a comment:

• 80sChav
    replied

Originally posted by darren View Post
    tucker was the star of the show during his time and might not have been so successful without him
    might not have kept going.

after all the first series was very short eps wise as it was just an experiment i heard redmond had said.

i loved seeing tucker in it near the shows end,
    True Darren yeah - I guess it was planned as so

It is just a shame the movie that was talked about in 2007/2008-ish that showed what the old characters had been up to. Though for me Tucker as much as is the hero and the first amazing character - he is far far down the list after the lies of Ziggy, Robbie, Trevor, Gonch etc. I guess in a way it'd not be good if people exactly shared the same characters from any programe (be it Grange Hill or EastEnders early years, Brookside or whichever Series or Programme). This is what make certain programmes special in certain way's I feel/think.

Leave a comment:

• darren
    replied

tucker was the star of the show during his time and might not have been so successful without him
    might not have kept going.

after all the first series was very short eps wise as it was just an experiment i heard redmond had said.

i loved seeing tucker in it near the shows end,
    Hi LivedonMars
    I agree with you regards Todd Carty being overated. I think possibly his best acting role par Grange Hill (which I found him average in) was as Gabriel Kent in The Bill, but as Mark Fowler - I never rated him at all sadly. Though I guess as a massive GH fan I can not say too much bad about Tucker as he paved the way for other "greats" like Ziggy, Pogo, Gonch, then people in the later years like Dennis Morris and Ray and Cracker Bacon etc.

Though without Tucker GH would probably have never "got going" as such. I can appreciate everyone has their own favourite characters in any TV Show - I think that Tucker was meant to be a hero of the programme in a sort of way with a lot of storylines centred round his character - which really helped I think and gave the era more appeal etc I felt/and truly got Grange Hill moving and becoming popular as a say a winning football/sports team would be!

Leave a comment:

• 80sChav
    replied

Originally posted by LivedOnMars View Post
    Ah I had almost forgotten about Grange Hill, have just watched a few of the early ones on Youtube and remembered how much I liked it as a child. It started a couple of years before I went to secondary school and may have misled me about what to expect! My favourite character was Trisha - she was so confident and ballsy and I wished I could be more like that. I did end up having the same arguments as her with the teachers in high school about wearing jewellery, make up and refusing to stick to the proper uniform though. Ps I have to agree with some of the other posters about Todd Carty being overrated as an actor; I thought he was dreadful in Eastenders, and only slightly better in GH.
    Hi LivedonMars
    I agree with you regards Todd Carty being overated. I think possibly his best acting role par Grange Hill (which I found him average in) was as Gabriel Kent in The Bill, but as Mark Fowler - I never rated him at all sadly. Though I guess as a massive GH fan I can not say too much bad about Tucker as he paved the way for other "greats" like Ziggy, Pogo, Gonch, then people in the later years like Dennis Morris and Ray and Cracker Bacon etc.

Though without Tucker GH would probably have never "got going" as such. I can appreciate everyone has their own favourite characters in any TV Show - I think that Tucker was meant to be a hero of the programme in a sort of way with a lot of storylines centred round his character - which really helped I think and gave the era more appeal etc I felt/and truly got Grange Hill moving and becoming popular as a say a winning football/sports team would be!
    Last edited by 80sChav; 19-01-2014, 17:36.

Leave a comment:

• darren
    replied

there are tons of gh series on youtube

they may not have every single episode of each series but very near it.

i saw the first 7 or 8 series and they where all there going back over a year ago.

they must have near every episode mark.give it a go NO RUNNING BOYHEH

Originally posted by xmark1234 View Post
    are they all on you tube mate ive never even looked

Leave a comment:

• xmark1234
    replied

are they all on you tube mate ive never even looked
    Originally posted by DemonEyeX View Post
    Well, unfortunately mate only series 1, 2, 3 & 4 are available on DVD.
    They didn't sell well, so the BBC decided to not put out the rest.
    So at this point in time, the only legal way to watch the rest is on YouTube.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X