Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Down here in Hampshire, we were on the cusp between:

and

For news and local interest stuff, Thames was generally better, but Southern was great for showing old Hammer horror films after the 10 O'Clock news.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
      Thames managed it with the Tomorrow People.
      ???????

I still think HTV had the creepiest edge to them when it came to children's programmes. They also produced Emlyn's Moon for CITV in 1990.

Comment

Originally posted by Cartimand View Post
        Down here in Hampshire, we were on the cusp
        It must've been nice to get a choice of regions! The only show I remember well made by Southern was Worzel Gummidge though I know there were others... but I've never seen a Freewheelers even though it ran for a long time.

I was thinking HTV might've made The Owl Service as it was set in Wales, but I looked and it was Granada.

I suppose with digital/cable the region system that started based around transmitter towers was going to be eventually 'needless', but it had a lot of strengths to it, variety is strength to me. If it comes down only to sheer viewing figures for advertisers you get a lot of awful cheap overly dramatic stuff.
        My virtual jigsaws: https://www.jigsawplanet.com/beccabear67/Original-photo-puzzles

Comment

Originally posted by Cartimand View Post
          Down here in Hampshire, we were on the cusp
          Boundaries between ITV regions have intrigued me. They could result in a situation where in a particular town one person watches ITV region A and their next door neighbour watches ITV region B.

I believe that all of Hampshire is officially in the South East region although the London region can be received clearly in Aldershot and Farnborough. Any ideas which are the official ITV regions for Camberley and Bracknell? Guildford is officially London region although South East region seems to be more popular in Hindhead. Horsham is South East region but Crawley is London region. Any ideas about East Grinstead?

Comment

Grampian Television
            DON'T TELL HIM YOUR NAME PIKE!!

Comment

HTV Wales. Despite living in South Wales, for some reason our old TV set had HTV West in better picture quality than HTV Wales.

Comment

Originally posted by culnara View Post
                Grampian Television
                A mysterious one for me (along with the Border region); I imagine people tuning in from the Orkneys and Hebrides to some unique Scottish programs known now only in fading memories.
                My virtual jigsaws: https://www.jigsawplanet.com/beccabear67/Original-photo-puzzles

Comment

There was Westward TV probably Devon & Cornwall

Comment

Originally posted by culnara View Post
                    Grampian Television
                    That's an interesting one.

It's a bit of a "how long is a piece of string" question, but what was it like to have Grampian? Did it show lots of local programmes that were not shown in any other ITV region? Did it often share programmes with STV? What was the local news like?

I am aware that Grampian produced some ITV schools programmes, but it ended up (unfairly?) gaining a reputation for being associated with sex education. I think Grampian produced some children's programmes as well.

Comment

Originally posted by amethyst View Post
                      There was Westward TV probably Devon & Cornwall
                      Has anybody experienced (the rather homely) Westward and its successor TSW? Their studio was located in Plymouth.

It served Devon, Cornwall, Scilly Isles, part of Somerset, western Dorset.

Comment

There was Tyne Tees
                        Scottish TV
                        Ulster
                        London Weekend
                        Midlands

Comment

Originally posted by amethyst View Post
                          There was Tyne Tees
                          Scottish TV
                          Ulster
                          London Weekend
                          Midlands
                          There was a series made in the mid 70s called Nobody's House, about a boy ghost living in a house.
                          This was made by Tyne Tees. That's probably the first time I came across the network.

Comment

Ulster TV programmes were broadcast in other ITV regions only once in a blue moon. They produced a few episodes of Dramarama but the only other times you would see their logo was religious programmes like Highway apart from a very rare one-off programme.

Comment

Working...
                            X