Flambards (Yorkshire 1978-79)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flambards (Yorkshire 1978-79)

Have been watching this series with my parents. Dad likes rural stories with horses, mother likes romances and history... so they're both really liking this one!

Anyone remember it? Set in the 1910s, very early aeroplanes shown, unusual music with a musical saw or theremin in it. Any suggestions of what to watch when we're done with it? Final episode coming up for us tomorrow night.
    My virtual jigsaws: https://www.jigsawplanet.com/beccabear67/Original-photo-puzzles

Originally posted by beccabear67 View Post
    Have been watching this series with my parents. Dad likes rural stories with horses, mother likes romances and history... so they're both really liking this one!

Anyone remember it? Set in the 1910s, very early aeroplanes shown, unusual music with a musical saw or theremin in it. Any suggestions of what to watch when we're done with it? Final episode coming up for us tomorrow night.

I recall watching Flambards with my housemates back in my student days. Must have been a repeat as it was around 1981/2.
    One extended scene featuring the old aeroplane and that weird theme tune was really trippy. Of course it helped if you were a bit stoned watching it!

Comment

It is a somewhat surreal show in a few ways.
      My virtual jigsaws: https://www.jigsawplanet.com/beccabear67/Original-photo-puzzles

Comment

Go with “when calls the heart”. Very easy watching. Very like little house on the prairie, has romance and horses !

Comment

Originally posted by Semi42 View Post
          Go with “when calls the heart”. Very easy watching. Very like little house on the prairie, has romance and horses !
          We've started on a Yorkshire series from 1982 named Airline, about an independent air transport started by some demobbed RAF after the war, but will look up When Calls The Heart soon, thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by beccabear67 View Post
            It is a somewhat surreal show in a few ways.

What thoughts went into designing the surreal, eerie ways it would speak back?
            Last edited by claudenichols; 09-02-2024, 00:38.

Comment

Did it have a whistling theme tune? I am sure that Andy Marriott played the theme on one of his radio (television) shows where he played old TV themes. Was too young to remember it myself.
              I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
              There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
              I'm having so much fun
              My lucky number's one
              Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
                Did it have a whistling theme tune? I am sure that Andy Marriott played the theme on one of his radio (television) shows where he played old TV themes. Was too young to remember it myself.
                Yes, it had whistling. There was a version with lyrics about the Christina character used at one point in the show, but the theme at the front and end was always just whistling.

Comment

I wonder whether Flambards was affected by the Yorkshire TV strike of Christmas 1978, and that the 1979 episodes were actually left over from the previous year?

It made me think considering that the late Sir Paul Fox who has recently passed away at the age of 98, was actually boss of Yorkshire TV at the time.
                  I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                  There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                  I'm having so much fun
                  My lucky number's one
                  Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
                  X