"The End"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "The End"

Watching old films and cartoons, especially from the black and white TV era, I've noticed that they would always print the words "The End" on the screen at the end. You don't see this anymore, and it seems almost amusingly literal, like somebody wouldn't realise it had finished if they weren't told.

When did this stop, and actually did it coincide with the tendency to show the credits at the end rather than the beginning? Today it's the credits that signify the end I suppose.

It seems to be the norm these days for a movie to have an additional scene - sometimes shocking, but usually a bit comical, after the credits have rolled.
    Displaying "The End" or "Fin" seems to have fallen out of fashion because of that.
    I've come to expect that extra scene these days and, when sitting through the end credits only to find there isn't any extra scene, I do feel short changed!

Comment

Originally posted by Cartimand View Post
      It seems to be the norm these days for a movie to have an additional scene - sometimes shocking, but usually a bit comical, after the credits have rolled.
      Displaying "The End" or "Fin" seems to have fallen out of fashion because of that.
      I've come to expect that extra scene these days and, when sitting through the end credits only to find there isn't any extra scene, I do feel short changed!
      Sometimes for comedy films the credits run over some out-takes or something else to keep you watching.
      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post

Sometimes for comedy films the credits run over some out-takes or something else to keep you watching.
        Best ever example of that was the outtakes at the end of Deathstalker 2 - absolutely hilarious and still one of my all-time favourite movies!

Comment

No, the best ones are the bloopers in Pixar movies.

Comment

Originally posted by I. R. Fincham View Post
            Yes they are very funny!

Comment

Originally posted by I. R. Fincham View Post
              Those aren't real bloopers though. They's just scripted animated gags designed to give the impression that the characters are real.

Comment

The makers of Airplane!, the Naked Gun & some other comedies have clips, along with some other jokes in the credits, like "if you left the theater at the beginning of the credits you would he home by now"!

Comment

Interesting observatons from the OP - I also noticed that "The End" isn't used very often these days, probably because the two words is basically stating the bleedin' obvious that the film, documentary or episode has indeed ended and so therefore one doesn't need to let the viewer know that it has indeed ended. I mostly associte with American films from the 1950s and 1950s and the like, although it can crop up anywhere. No doubt that the "That's All Folks!" phrase seemed to be Warner Brothers' alternative way of saying "The End" without actually doing so at the end of their cartoons.

With regards to films being shown in cinemas,as they have done since the 1990s, they do put outtakes and clips under the credits as a ploy of keeping the audience in their seats until its official ending although the majority do make a beeline for the exit and leave, (and some even think that I was a bit unusual that I was one of very few cinema viewers who used to stay until the very end to do that - I even once made that point to a cinema staff member who had came in at the end with a white binliner bag in order to collect the empty drinks cartons and popcorn boxes at the end!) I pay a ticket to see the film (as well as the 15 minutes of adverts and trailers preceeding it), so I might as well get what I pay for.

THE END
                  I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                  There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                  I'm having so much fun
                  My lucky number's one
                  Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Actually, not quite "the end" as I had meant "1950s and 1960s" in my previous post, and the word spelt "associate". Thought that I would add this as an addendum to my previous post.

Now it is the end.
                    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                    I'm having so much fun
                    My lucky number's one
                    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
                    X