• Show
Clear All

Re: Rainbow

Yes Bungle calls him David at the start of the first episode
    Heather

Comment

Radio Times 18 - 24 September 2010

There is a short interview with Geoffrey Hayes,regarding his life after Rainbow.He seems quite relaxed about telling people about it.Here is what it says:

Geoffrey Hayes

The much loved rainbow presenter had a tough time professionally when the show came to an end in 1992.Not long afterwards he was photographed doing a very different kind of work: Shelf Stacking.
      '' I did two months in my local supermarket '' he has said,'' and bits of taxi driving from time to time.''
      Rather sweetly,Geoffrey reprises his taxi driving role in a tv ad for virgin money.In real life,he explained later,his driving '' was collar and tie,not the dodgy minicab in the virgin ad.It was very hard to get serious acting jobs after rainbow - no one would put me in a sitcom or soap opera because they thought the viewers would expect to see zippy,george and bungle round the corner.So i ended up doing panto and summer season.It was a struggle.''

Comment

Im sure the Bungle costume got nicked from Geoffreys car and he put an tearful appeal on This morning or something like that and afterwards it was dropped off anonymously for Geoffrey.

Comment

Originally posted by moonvisage View Post
          Radio Times 18 - 24 September 2010

There is a short interview with Geoffrey Hayes,regarding his life after Rainbow.He seems quite relaxed about telling people about it.Here is what it says:

Geoffrey Hayes

The much loved rainbow presenter had a tough time professionally when the show came to an end in 1992.Not long afterwards he was photographed doing a very different kind of work: Shelf Stacking.
          '' I did two months in my local supermarket '' he has said,'' and bits of taxi driving from time to time.''
          Rather sweetly,Geoffrey reprises his taxi driving role in a tv ad for virgin money.In real life,he explained later,his driving '' was collar and tie,not the dodgy minicab in the virgin ad.It was very hard to get serious acting jobs after rainbow - no one would put me in a sitcom or soap opera because they thought the viewers would expect to see zippy,george and bungle round the corner.So i ended up doing panto and summer season.It was a struggle.''
          it is sad he never really got an acting role after rainbow.
          but he did it for near 20 yrs.
          so i suppose it was always going to be tough for him to get another tv show etc..

always sad when this happens to anyone.
          FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

So was he an actor before he presented rainbow? I'm surprised he didn't move into other kid's shows but then again after 20 years he was rainbow. Geoffrey presenting something else wouldn't have seemed right. Geoffrey playing a character in something else would have been even worse.

I often wonder if actors get annoyed when they are forever associated with one role. I'd hate it if everyone said oh yes that tricky, you know she was X in the Y company, when it was 11 years ago and I've done a million things since!
            Last edited by Trickyvee; 23-09-2010, 17:49.
            1976 Vintage

Comment

Prior to Rainbow Geoffrey was known to the public as DC Scatcliffe in Z Cars. He had a few writing credits to his name too.

I've seen about 5 episodes with Zippo in; he was in a few more than I remembered as a kid.

Comment

Rainbow

Anyone remember the trio prior to Rod, Jane & Freddy? There was a girl listed as "Charmian Dore" who later had hits as Charlie Dore(Pilot of the airwaves, here is my request, you don't have to play it...). I was a bit too old for rainbow, but my brother used to watch it. I was off school sick. Never seen the programme before. Pretty mundane stuff really. Bloke in a bear costume and a frog with a zip mouth. Then the music came on. Something along the lines of "car, train, boat or plane, just go. It was repeated at around 4.00 pm the same day. Charlie's verse opened with "riding in my motor boat...", but I can't recall the rest. I'd love to see the episode again.

Comment

If I remember correctly Roger Walker appeared in a saucy BBC2 play that aired 9pm on Wednesdays I think. Unless it was someone that looked like him lol. Also the Rainbow Crew released a song in about 1992 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgNl3rQcnJA Kind of a rave tune.

Comment

I think producers and casting directors are too small minded....Geoffrey Hayes could easily have done other stuff. Same goes for Harry H Corbett, now there was a tragedy-he was such a good actor and once feted as the 'English Brando'...if you watch Carry On Screaming even in that he's a great actor. If I'd been a Director I'd have cast actors like these against type...I'd loved to have seen Corbett in other stuff. For me, Steptoe & Son was too depressing to watch-sometimes seeing the love/hate between a Father and Son, the fact that one wanted to get away and yet didn't due to blood being thicker than water and an elderly Father needing his Son was too close to the bone for me. And what was so funny about it? If you've ever seen the episode which Leonard Rossiter as an escaped Con starred in you'll see the tragic pathos in both the younger men, Corbett and Rossiter and the elderly men and seeing how awful it was...Hated that show in the end, especially after finding out how it destroyed Corbetts career.

As for Rainbow, loved it. I loved the puppets and especially liked seeing and hearing Zippy on other stuff. Theres a youtube clip from him being on radio and he is so funny....

Comment

I remember Zippo...My Mum hated the programme-yet we'd watch it. I still used to watch it right up to its end in 92...why not? My Mum used to say that Zippy was rude, loud, noisy and very GREEDY! She also thought George had some form of handicap and her impression of him was 'Aww, Gibby'! Instead of 'Oh Geoffrey!'...

I also remember the fat bloke who was replaced by Jane....I used to wonder as a kid where he went and later on also didn't like the loss of Rods beard! Mum used to say Jane looked very scruffy like a beggar woman....well that was her view...

I once saw a Victor Lewis Smith tv series and he showed exactly why the Eldorado bloke suddenly left-theres a scene in Rainbow where him and Rod and Freddy walk in and he suddenly shouts out a f--k! Its one of those things only caught in playback in editing and Lewis Smith had his editing team rewind the film and slow it down when played forward with all the other sounds of the puppets, Geoffrey and Bungle secluded out and its clear to hear...He thought he'd got away with it but he didn't...thats why he got the sack. May be on youtube.

Comment

Originally posted by sf1378 View Post
                        I think producers and casting directors are too small minded....Geoffrey Hayes could easily have done other stuff. Same goes for Harry H Corbett, now there was a tragedy-he was such a good actor and once feted as the 'English Brando'...if you watch Carry On Screaming even in that he's a great actor. If I'd been a Director I'd have cast actors like these against type...I'd loved to have seen Corbett in other stuff. For me, Steptoe & Son was too depressing to watch-sometimes seeing the love/hate between a Father and Son, the fact that one wanted to get away and yet didn't due to blood being thicker than water and an elderly Father needing his Son was too close to the bone for me. And what was so funny about it? If you've ever seen the episode which Leonard Rossiter as an escaped Con starred in you'll see the tragic pathos in both the younger men, Corbett and Rossiter and the elderly men and seeing how awful it was...Hated that show in the end, especially after finding out how it destroyed Corbetts career.

As for Rainbow, loved it. I loved the puppets and especially liked seeing and hearing Zippy on other stuff. Theres a youtube clip from him being on radio and he is so funny....

here is a clip of rainbow mate.
                        http://youtu.be/M62SnbNizIM

ill agree geoffrey hayes was a very good actor veruy talented.
                        sometimes i think to myself was it the fact he did rainbow for so long that he got little else after it.

Comment

I know that the guy who played Bungle was prosecuted over a road rage incident about 8 years ago. I've also heard that there was a section of one episode that was deleted, apparently filmed deliberately as a joke, where George and Zippy are peeling bananas and counting the skins- "One skin, two skin, three skin.." (yep, you can guess what they said after that!)

Comment

Originally posted by Roxxy View Post
                            I know that the guy who played Bungle was prosecuted over a road rage incident about 8 years ago. I've also heard that there was a section of one episode that was deleted, apparently filmed deliberately as a joke, where George and Zippy are peeling bananas and counting the skins- "One skin, two skin, three skin.." (yep, you can guess what they said after that!)
                            well if it was deleted back then it would sure not be allowed now.

funny enough bungle was quite an angry character so im not shocked he was done for road rage.

Comment

I think the banana skin clip is from a Thames Xmas tape, which were compilations of outakes & some specially shot skits made by some of the ITV companies & the BBC in the 1970s-80s.

There were only really intended for viewing by staff, friends & family, but a few have leaked into the public domain.
                              The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Well, before Rod (Burton), Jane(Tucker) & Matthew (Corbette) / Roger (Walker) / Freddy, there were Karl, Charmaine & Julian .
                                Karl, the blond guy, was Karl Johnson, whom I subsequently saw on Casualty a while afterwards.
                                Charmaine was Charmaine Dore who, as Charlie Dore, had a minor "hit" with "Pilot of the Airwaves" back in the late '70's / early 80's
                                Julian was Julian Littman, who had a part in the BBC's "Great Big Groovy Horse" (a one-off musical based on the Trojan War), but more interestingly, had a part in Madonna's version of "Evita."

Comment

Working...
                                X